Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - mcb100
I've spent the past couple of weeks driving the new Mazda3 (due for launch in the UK on January 3rd), and I thought I'd pass on my first thoughts.
Firstly, and I know it's a subjective world, it's a great looking car: especially in Fastback (saloon) form.
The interesting news is Mazda bucking the trend and continuing with comparatively large displacement engines. The forecast volume engine is a 120PS petrol, but instead of a 1.0 or 1.2 it's a 2.0 litre unit. In the 1200 miles I've done in it so far, a realistic real-world figure of 42mpg is showing on the trip computer.
It seems to be beautifully built, with some interesting connectivity features and is so far proving a pleasure to live with. Sadly, it's going back to Mazda on Friday and I'll be sorry to see it go: which is something I don't say with every car I work with.
Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - Snakey

I wonder if a lower stessed non turbo like that 2 litre petrol is mazda's way of getting some reliability image back?

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - davecooper
I don't think Mazda have any reliabilty issues at all. I have had Mazda cars for the last six years without any problems at all, 100% reliable. They also sit near the top of the Which magazine reliabilty and owner satisfaction charts so I don't think there are any problems to be addressed.
Thanks for the initial impressions. I'm going to test drive one before Christmas hopefully, with a view to replacing my Mazda 2 with one later next year. What engine did you have? I think the 120PS Petrol is likely to be the best choice for me overall.
There is no doubt it is a good looking car and it seems, from the reviews that its strengths go deeper.
Can't wait for the dealer to call.
Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - Bobbin Threadbare

I am also a Mazda fan - two in a row now and no issues at all. The 3 could very well be my next car as the MX-5, wonderful though it is, is a bit impractical!

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - RichT54

I'm also interested in the new Mazda 3, but have been wary of the reported oil-dilution problems Mazda have had with their diesel engines. However, I don't seem to be doing so many miles these days, so petrol will probably be a better option anyway.

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - mcb100
I'm driving the 120PS, and a 250 mile run today has brought a 42mpg average (via the trip computer).
Dealers aren't allowed to register a demonstrator until January 2nd, and not unveil them until the 3rd, so a test drive may have to wait until the new year.
Thanks for the info about the test drives. The dealer seemed to suggest that test drives would be late this year but I don't think he knew for sure. However, with everything Christmas happening, I'm happy to wait until January now.

Edited by davecooper on 03/12/2013 at 08:18

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - Greenfield

I just hope Mazda fit height adjustment to both front seats, I have nearly purchased a new Mazda many times including the new CX-5 but the lack of height adjustment on the passenger seat was a deal breaker. I'm really keen on the new 3 especially the large capacity petrol engine but I predict the Golf will win purely on the passenger seat height adjustment!!

I can't see any mention of passenger seat adjustment in the specs. Although this would probably not be deal breaker for me, I am a little disappointed they are not included on the higher spec models at least. Perhaps someone will put me right on this. However, if Mazda are going to lose sales over something as simple as passenger seat height adjustment then it is a problem they need to address, even if it is only offered as a dealer fit option.

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - Greenfield

Had the same problem with the Honda CRV, the latest model only has passenger seat height adjustment on the very top spec models (SR & EX), also last time I looked the Civic did not offer this option on any model.

Mazda 3 - Initial Impressions - GHSAUNDERS40
I'm quite interested in the new 3 since I found out it has a diesel/auto option that does not kill MPG or is a dual clutch nightmare. I'm doing 30k ish a year.

Is it true that the 2.2 diesel can still suffer issues with dpf and aborted regens even with high mileage, or is this an all new engine?

Thanks.