Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - nansenwho

Greetings all

I'm new to this so bear with me.

My car was written off recently, and "market value" insurance payments being as poor as they are, i've been looking at cat d write offs as a potentially affordable way of getting a reasonable vehicle given limited funds.

I went to view a Ford KA today (yesterday?!). It seemed a tidy motor, ran well, everything felt good, had a look under the bonnet nothing concerning.

Arranged an AA inspection purely as it's a cat d- will be happening today

However- as a further exercise in dotting is and crossing ts, got a HPI check

Came up with outstanding finance against the plate- which disappeared from the record when the VIN was put in.

However the warning remains "Interest registered against a previous plate"

I have no idea what this means- the garage aren't aware of the vehicle ever having a personalised plate

However, they are unable to supply me with the V5C details as the car was previously written off, and therefore the v5 has to be reapplied for by the new keeper, and they "don't want to make it look like it's had an additional owner"

It's the sort of thing I would usually ask my dad about, but he isn't around anymore, hence any help at all would be appreciated

It doesn't quite feel too good to be true, the garage seemed genuine enough although inhabiting the strange world of repairing cat ds. But it doesn't necessarily feel quite right either....

Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - madf

My advice? Run away.

Lots more cars out there. If the garage have not done an HPI check before they sell a car, they are potentially Arthur Daley types.

Any repoutable garage does a HPI check..And outstanding finance means it is not the prior owner's to sell - unless they settle the debt.

Of course it could all be a record error - do you want to spend hours sorting out someone else's mistakes?

Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - RT

Walk away very quickly - leave write-offs to those who know all the ropes, not that they get it right all the time.

It may sound condescending, sorry, but stick with a conventional purchase that has no "warts" that you can find - it won't guarantee things but will give you a much better chance.

Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - Andrew-T

Quite. Unless you are almost penniless, there are plenty of straight cars out there at under a grand. A few may even come with a rudimentary warranty. You shouldn't even need to think about Ebay.

Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - tony g
Hi,
The HPI report will show the finance company who registered an interest in the car .
Ring them and ask them to send you a written confirmation that they no longer have an interest in the car .make sure that they declare no interest on the cars vin number and current reg number .Dont buy the car without doing this .

As others have said the car must be at least a third less to buy than an equivalent HPI clear car ,otherwise it's pointless buying it .
Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - nansenwho
Hiya,

The outstanding finance is related to what looks like a personalised plate, which looks like maybe it was on this vehicle (although garage knows nothing about it...), which is now on a fiesta

Frustratingly, got the AA report today
Positives
Mechanically all in excellent condition

Negatives
Front offside door poorly repaired leaving excessive panel gap

Worryingly
Drivers seat not secured- MOT fail/potentially lethal.......

Hmmmm!
Ford Ka - Used car Interest again previous plate/ no v5 - tony g
Sounds like a poor quality repair ,time to walk away .unless it can be bought so cheaply that you can have the proper repairs done.

I don't think I would get involved . There are thousands of ford ka,s available ,so why bother with this one ?