Cat for a VW Polo - Dwight Van Driver
Daughters' 1999 VW Polo Estate has been in
for its annual test and has dipped because of
defective catalytic converter. Replacement
quoted at £600 plus. I know they are expensive is the normal?

In an attempt to save GBH of my wallet for your know what daughters are, can anybody advise if there is a reliable source other than VW for this part, preferably in North East
England?

DVD

Cat for a VW Polo - M.M
DVD,

Despite the dire warnings when they first came out that they would fail every few years cats have proved reliable.

I never expect the cat to actually be at fault when the readings are too high, usually a retest after a blast up the test track** will see the figures drop.

The Tune-Up boys may know this particular car though and any foibles that will keep the readings too high.

**OK so it's the nearby Fen drove.

The only cats I've had trouble with are the ones where the core has vibrated and fallen to pieces.

MM
Cat for a VW Polo - DavidHM
DVD - what engine is it?
Cat for a VW Polo - M.M
DVD,

Hopefully David might know something to help but even if it is the cat GSF don't charge more than £200 (plus vat and carriage) for any Polo cat...and it is likely to be OE quality.

Think between us we can undercut the £600 by a bit.

;-)

MM
Cat for a VW Polo - DavidHM
I couldn't get anything off Euro, so it looks like GSF is the best bet. Apparently there are 3 engine codes for the 100 bhp 1.6, which is the most common engine in these cars - although Euro's database can sometimes be a bit wacky.
Thanks both for your speedy replies.

Sweat over. Under third degree using a 500w lamp, Plodaughter now tells me that one of her collegues took the message from the garage and added his interpretation on cost. Speaking to her garage, a small independent run by a bloke called Tommy (there's a name which just oozes honesty) the cost is only about a third.

Whilst seems to have a short life, previous owner was a pooteler, so not surpising.

Phew, relief.

DVD.
Update.

Vehicle was acquired a year ago and on checking VW Warranty found it had two weeks to go. This was after a new cat had been fitted at a non VW garage.

Wrote off to VW Warranty with all the evidence and circumstances.
Well you never know?

Daughter phoned this morning. VW have sent her a cheque for £305
to cover the replacement.

Congratulations to VW Warranty. They do get some stick at time so praise where it is due.

DVD
Update

Vehicle was acquired a year ago and it was thought the 1 year VW Warranty had expired but on checking found it had a couple of weeks to run. This was after replacement fitted at a non VW garage.

Wrote off to VW Warranty with all the evidence etc to make a claim. Well you never know.

Daughter phoned am today. VW have sent her a cheque for £305 to cover replacement.

You can at times knock VW but on this occasion they deserve praise.