Any - Car taxed as disabled - hoyak

Hi,

I am considering pourchasing a car that is currently taxed as disabled. The owner is telling me that he needs to send his tax disc back to the DVLA and I can tax the car with the new keeper supplement at vthe post office tomorrow.

Is this correct providing I have insurance and MOT?

Cheers,

Any - Car taxed as disabled - tony g
That's not correct ,you need to change the tax classification from disabled .
You can send the application to Swansea or call in at your nearest dvla office .

You need to change the registered keepers name to yours at the same time ,send or take the mot and insurance with you .

You need the complete v5 not just the green slip to register the car in your name .
Any - Car taxed as disabled - Galaxy

No, it's not correct.

If the car has previously been taxed as "Disabled" then the taxation class needs to be changed. The whole V5 will be needed and a visit to the local DVLA office (do they still exist?). Alternatively, the application will have to be sent to Swansea.

My last purchased car had been a "Motability" car. The dealer had to make a 40 mile round trip to the local DVLA office on the morning I went to collect the car. Althought the car was sold to me with 6 months road tax, it wasn't acceptable because it was taxed as "Disabled" The dealer had to change the taxation class and then pay for 6 months tax out of his own pocket!

Edited by Galaxy on 24/11/2013 at 10:49

Any - Car taxed as disabled - Bromptonaut

Most DVLA local offices have been, or are in process of, being closed. Those that remain have closed their caller desks and are acting as outstations for the main office.

Formwork goes to Swansea who will normally reclassify on the papers. If for any reason the vehicle needs to be examined they will provide instruction as to how/where this is carried out.

Any - Car taxed as disabled - Doc
From DVLA site: Exchange a tax disc

Fill in form V70 and send it to DVLA to exchange a vehicle tax disc.

Download ‘V70 - Application to exchange a vehicle tax disc’ (PDF, 147KB).

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1DZ

When to exchange your tax disc

You must exchange your tax disc if you make any changes to your vehicle that will change the:

• tax class (unless you are changing to a tax class exempt from vehicle tax)
  • engine size (cc)
  • fuel type
  • weight (goods vehicles only)
  • number of seats on a bus
  • use of the vehicle
Documents you’ll need for the application

The documents you need depend on the type of vehicle.

Private or light goods vehicles

You’ll need:

• form V70 ‘Exchange of Vehicle Licence Application Form’
  • current tax disc
  • registration certificate (V5C) with any changes marked on it
  • completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate (V5C)’ (if you don’t have the V5C registration certificate) and the £25 fee
  • valid insurance certificate
  • valid MOT test certificate (if needed)
  • extra payment for vehicle tax (if needed)

Edited by Doc on 24/11/2013 at 11:11

Any - Car taxed as disabled - hoyak

Hi,

Thanks for replies so far.I have spoken to the seller and he is saying he needs to send the tax disc back to the DVLA with the registration document. Therefore, I won't be able to tax the car without going to a DVLA office? Or do I need to wait for the new document to come back and then tax the car?

Cheers

Any - Car taxed as disabled - Doc

When you buy the car you will take possession of the tax disc.

Therefore you will need to exchange it.

Once sold, the vehicle is no longer the responsibility of the seller.

Or do I need to wait for the new document to come back and then tax the car?

This ^^^^^

However, unless you are buying from a dealer, you will need to make the application yourself after you have bought the car. As in my case above, the dealer will normally do this for you.

And be prepared for a nice long wait, too! People have bought ex-Motability cars at auction, only to subsequently find out they can't be taxed or, therefore, used, until several weeks after purchase.

Any - Car taxed as disabled - jamie745

Most DVLA offices have shut down but that doesn't matter. With the right forms (V70 I think) you can do it at any Post Office.

Go to a big Post Office where the staff understand this stuff though, if they don't do it right then the DVLA will never send you the new V5.

Any - Car taxed as disabled - pd

Correct, you can do this at any Post Office which issues tax discs (and have been able to since June 2013).

Take the V5C/2 (the front part of the V5) filled in your (i.e. new keeper's name), insurance (in your name) and MOT to the post office and explain you want to tax it, change the keeper and tax class all at the same time.

They'll sell you the tax disc, keep the V5/C and send it to Swansea and eventually you'll get a new V5 back in your name with a regular tax class on it.

The current owner keeps their disabled tax disc.

Just make sure you get the FULL V5/C FRONT PAGE - not just the new keeper supplement.

Edited by pd on 24/11/2013 at 17:04

Any - Car taxed as disabled - pd

And be prepared for a nice long wait, too! People have bought ex-Motability cars at auction, only to subsequently find out they can't be taxed or, therefore, used, until several weeks after purchase.

Thankfully, no longer the case. You've always been able to change and tax a car at the same time (no waiting) but used to have to go to a DVLA office to do it. Now you can do it at a post office.

Sorry, I stand corrected, then.

It was certainly the case in April 2013 (when I purchased my ex-Motability car) that the change of taxation class had to be done either at a local DVLA office or Swansea. From what others have said, it would now appear this information has changed in the short space of time since then.

It's almost impossible to keep up with these changes, now. Things which remained unchanged for decades are now being changed!

Any - Car taxed as disabled - slkfanboy

Must say I am confused.

I purchase an ex-mobility car in June this year . I took the V5 new owner slip to the DVLA local office and filled in another form. I then took the tax disc away that day.