Skoda fabia - PCN - lippy1964
I parked in a free car park in a place where I was not obstructing and there was no yellow lines ect. I received a 60.00 fine for not parking within a pay. 60.00 seems a lot when they have no loss as there was no payment. It here is no time payment or time limit.
Do I have to pat this excessive fine.
Thanks
Skoda fabia - PCN - daveyjp
Which body served it?
Skoda fabia - PCN - FP

Another thread pretty much covers the issues here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=103024

unless the ticket that's been issued is a "Penalty Charge Notice", when the local authority issuing the ticket should be approached with a view to taking up their appeals procedure.

Edited by FP on 23/11/2013 at 17:39

Skoda fabia - PCN - alan1302
I parked in a free car park in a place where I was not obstructing and there was no yellow lines ect. I received a 60.00 fine for not parking within a pay. 60.00 seems a lot when they have no loss as there was no payment. It here is no time payment or time limit. Do I have to pat this excessive fine. Thanks

Are yu saying you were fined because you did not park in a parking bay? If you didn't park in a parking bay then why not?

Skoda fabia - PCN - lippy1964
Because they were all full
Skoda fabia - PCN - Bromptonaut

As has already been asked we need to know who issued the ticket.

If it was a Penalty Charge Notice issued by the Council then I don't think you've got much chance. They WILL enforce and the costs will keep going up.

OTOH if it's issued on private land and is a Parking Charge Notice then it may go away if you ignore it and the subsequent threats. Just watch out in case they do issue a County Court summons as you will then need to defend.

Putting them to proof of their loss is a good start for adefence.

Much more over on Pepipoo.

Skoda fabia - PCN - Armitage Shanks {p}

Situation complicated by the fact that OP did not park in a marked bay as there were none free, quote. It is still not so easy to enforce but being outside a marked bay would be an "offence" in any car park

Skoda fabia - PCN - RT

Situation complicated by the fact that OP did not park in a marked bay as there were none free, quote. It is still not so easy to enforce but being outside a marked bay would be an "offence" in any car park

There's no such concept as "offence" in any civil case, as all off-road and most on-road parking is these days.

The issue in this case seems to be "breach of contract".

There's no such concept as "offence" in any civil case, as all off-road and most on-road parking is these days.

The issue in this case seems to be "breach of contract".

I think I'm right in saying, while not an offence in law, it could still be pursued as an infringement in a car park run by the Council. In that case while there is a right of appeal to a tribunal on facts/law there is not, unlike on private land, any deemed 'contract'.

No appeal or one that's lost will, in case of a Council car park result in an expensive and bruising encounter with bailiffs unless payment is made promptly.

Unless the OP comes back though we're clutching at straws.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/11/2013 at 19:37

Skoda fabia - PCN - galileo
Because they were all full

By definition, if all the marked bays in a car park are full, the car park is full, so not available to park in, is it?

If everyone acted as you did, it would not be long before people properly parked in bays would be blocked in by those parking in unauthorised locations. The charge is to make this point.

By definition, if all the marked bays in a car park are full, the car park is full, so not available to park in, is it?

If everyone acted as you did, it would not be long before people properly parked in bays would be blocked in by those parking in unauthorised locations. The charge is to make this point.

Indeed. See Northampton station car park Tuesday to Thursday by 10:00