Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - EGR Valves problems and smoke - focuskev

If an egr valve is sticking or failing would it produce grey exhaust when at 1500-2000rpm or when changing gears?

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - EGR Valves problems and smoke - slkfanboy

Grey/White smoke is pos. ERG needing cleaning could be a number of other issues, for example air leak in the intake system

Grey/Blue is an oil issue can be hard to tell sometimes exact colour.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - EGR Valves problems and smoke - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd say its possible when cold if the EGR valve is stuck open.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - EGR Valves problems and smoke - focuskev

Further to this I have had the EGR valve replaced now and I still have a jumpy idle on start,flat spots in acceleration and grey smoke pumping out on and off.

Ford did the EGR after condemning it but I still have exactly the same problem before it went in so not happy with their diagnosis although they had three codes relating to EGR. They changed the fuel filter on goodwill but to no avail.

I kept mentioning the black goo pouring out of the right hand injector seating but they say this wouldnt be the reason for the problems above.

Any ideas anyone?

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005 - EGR Valves problems and smoke - dieselnut

It sounds like you are loosing compression through the injector seal where you see the black gunge. It is probably the cause of the smoke, but in any case needs fixing ASAP before it causes further problems.

Read through this other post. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541