Toyota Avensis 2231cc - Jerking @1700rpm - SarahM

Hi there, had this car since June. 71000 miles, serviced i.a.w. service book have 2 prob's with the car.

1). once warm there's a noticeable jerking @ 1700rpm ( this is 30mph in 3rd gear) so a right pain in urban areas) same in 4th same rev area. No problem with emmisions on m.o.t.

2). Using the door lock button on the drivers arm rest, i've noticed passengers cannot open their doors. Only way is for driver to unlock via button on door arm rest. This can't be safe in event of a crash and driver obstructs button. Is there any way of re-setting this feature so passenger door handles can open doors( alternative is driving with doors & boot unlocked)

Have noticed Lexus have dropped the 2.2 diesel, is this engine not one of Toyota's finest?

Any advice with the car gratefully recieved, had 2 Yaris' before no problems, Avensis not been great so far, tried a petrol 1.8, but felt flatter than a 1.0 Yaris, hence bought a Diesel Turbo.

Toyota Avensis 2231cc - Jerking @1700rpm - GHSAUNDERS40
Hi. Sorry you are having problems with the Avensis. I can't commend on the engine jerking, however the 2.2 d-cat engine can be a nightmare and thirsty, why I went for the 2.0 d4d. Not as punchy, but more reliable and frugal than the 2.2, although many would argue that Toyota diesels are not the best hence the move over to hybrid that has been seen in the new Auris and Lexus is for larger capacity applications.

As for the issue with the doors, we've had an Aygo, iQ and the Auris do this. I've spoken to the dealer bout all the cars and this seems to be a common ( and seemingly stupid) design feature in Toyota's.

Toyota Avensis 2231cc - Jerking @1700rpm - madf

Engine jerking: in order.

Clean MAF sensor in air filter.. (great care needed)

Check air filter is clean

The EGR valve may need to be cleaned

Check all hoses for splits etc.

Has the oil and filter been changed recently?

Edited by madf on 12/11/2013 at 08:26

Toyota Avensis 2231cc - Jerking @1700rpm - SarahM

Super, thanks for the advice.

Had its 70000 minor service about 2 months ago, the jerking has been intermitent since i've had the car, obviously never played up when it went back to the supplying garage within the 30 days warranty. At the service the turbo clips were checked as apparently they can loosen and cause problems. Mechanic didn't speak too kindly of this engine.

Will book the car into local garage for the MAF and EGR to be inspected

Shame about the door lock brilliant idea, previous Yaris' didn't even have central locking, so never thought of checking this feature when buying.