Ford Fusion - slipping belt - countrabban

Hi

I have a ford fusion 2005.When i pull off from standing there ia a squeal like a belt slipping.This has been happening a while and at the last service i told the garage to replace the fan belt.The garage said there were 3 belts in the pack which were supposedly replaced but the squeal still happens.

The garage i use has been there donkeys years and has not changed hands and we have not had any problems with them at all in the past.

Could the squeal be something else or is it just a shoddy job by the garage?

Edited by countrabban on 11/11/2013 at 18:53

Ford Fusion - slipping belt - Peter.N.

Its usually the alternator drive belt that squeals, when you start the car its trying to recharge the battery which takes a lot of power initially, as the voltage comes up the load deacreases and it stops slipping.

Ford Fusion - slipping belt - bathtub tom

As Peter.N. said, but may be diagnosed by switching on or off a high current accessory like the heated rear window.

If you know which belts drive what you should be able to diagnose which one's slipping this way.

Ford Fusion - slipping belt - Kev111

It's more likely to be a bad auxillary pulley/tensioner, the reason that I say this is that Ford use the 'smart charge' system and the alternator does not get the full field until it's been driven for some time after start-up. They some times call it the 'soft charge' system because of the characteristics of the design! But having said that, there is nothing to say that the smart charge system has not failed or been bypassed in some way! I would go back to your trusted garage and just explain the situation to them.

Kind regards Kev

Ford Fusion - slipping belt - skidpan

You don't say if its petrol or diesel but in the past we have had Fords that use the same engines as the Fusion in both diesel and petrol versions and neither have had 3 belts. Each has had one long serpentine belt that drives the water pump, alternator, AC compressor and the power steering pump if its hydraulic or part hydraulic. Ford would not redesign the system for the Fusion.

Here is a link to the diesel kit http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fusion_aux_drive_belt_16d_with_ac______f_1689148_c_874.htm

And here is a link to the petrol kit (Fusion is the same as Fiesta)http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta_125_14_aux_drive_belt__f_1004485.htm

The only explanation I can think of as to why there were 3 belts is cars without A/C and PS have shorter belts, perhaps the kit included belts for all the different permutations of spec.

Ford Fusion - slipping belt - countrabban

Thanks everybody for your advice,i don't know much about cars and whenever i hear a noise i tend the panic and see £ signs.I think my main concern was it could be something which needed urgent attention and as i my wife mainly uses the car to ferry the kids about i dont want then using it if it turned out to be dangerous.

I will go back and see the mechanic at the garage and see if they can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again

Countrabban