Renault Clio - Untaxed vehicle - Krysty

I have bought a car few months ago (middle of august) from a second hand car dealer and it had 12 months MOT and six months tax recently I was stopped twice and checked my road tax and been informed it was ok. and third time I was stopped and checked again and found that my car has no taxed and it was seized. When I bought the car it was clear that this car has original tax disk from the DVLA. It was printed from the DVLA and has the original teath all around the edge. However Police siezed my car and asked me to tax it and pay the fine of £150 to get it back

I feel that I have been stiched up..... what is my legal rights and how I get my money back? Please can someone advise me what shall I do ? many thanks

Edited by Avant on 10/11/2013 at 22:57

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - bathtub tom

Did the registration number on the 'tax disc' match the car?

Bung the registration in here: www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry...2

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Simon

As far as I am aware the police do not and probably cannot seize a vehicle just because it has no tax. I thought that they just report you to the DVLA.

For the car to be seized it is normally because you are either unlicenced or uninsured to drive it.

Is there more to this story???

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Dwight Van Driver

Me thinks there is a lot here that hasn't been reported.

There is no power under Vera for police to seize an untaxed car as far as I am aware. DVLA have authority to up lift. Police can seize under RTA for No Insurance/Driving Licence.

Could be a forged Licence? If so Police would have seized and reported for fraudulent use of a Licence andf using without a Licence. Did they do this?.

Check the first digit of the serial number which should conform to month of expiry i.e. Jan - 1March - 3 October -0 then N and D.

If check as suggested above ^^^^^^^(2248) shows currently taxed then your fight is with the Police Station that seized your car. Speak to Duty Officer.

dvd

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Dwight Van Driver

Snap Simon.........great minds think a like?

dvd

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - cockle {P}

Would also ask the question, what have you been doing to get stopped THREE times in less than three months? Evidently you have attracted the notice of the police on a regular basis for some reason or another, you've been stopped exactly as many times in less than three months as I have in 36 years on the road.

Sounds more likely that on one of the previous occasions a notice may have been issued under Section 59 of Police Reform Act 2002 which has now, on the third occasion, been breached and resulted in seizure for non-compliance.

Such notices are used a lot locally against 'cruisers' congregating in some of our shopping areas and industrial estates late in the evenings.

Edited by cockle {P} on 10/11/2013 at 15:16

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - galileo

Maybe there is a police 'marker' on the car due to a previous owner being suspected of some naughty behaviour?

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - SlidingPillar

Would also ask the question, what have you been doing to get stopped THREE times in less than three months?

I worked with someone who got stopped three times in one night! Car was legal, but looked a right shed.

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Skezza

Would also ask the question, what have you been doing to get stopped THREE times in less than three months?

I worked with someone who got stopped three times in one night! Car was legal, but looked a right shed.

I work with a girl who bought a FIAT Bravo off a local estate, privately. In the space of a month, she was stopped no less than ten (10) times, for numerous flakey reasons. One time, they stopped her because they wanted to 'check her tyres'(?) and it was just a random spot check. Now I've been driving nearly 7 years now and I've never been stopped for a reason as flimsy as that.

Sounds to me like these plod had a vendetta against this vehicle. They have no power to seize an untaxed vehicle, they can only inform the DVLA who can then issue a notice to collect it.

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Collos25

I work with a girl who bought a FIAT Bravo off a local estate, privately. In the space of a month, she was stopped no less than ten (10) times, for numerous flakey reasons. One time, they stopped her because they wanted to 'check her tyres'(?) and it was just a random spot check. Now I've been driving nearly 7 years now and I've never been stopped for a reason as flimsy as that.

Sounds to me like these plod had a vendetta against this vehicle. They have no power to seize an untaxed vehicle, they can only inform the DVLA who can then issue a notice to collect it.

Read the reply by Cockle they can seize an untaxed car in certain conditions as explained.I find that the police in the UK have all the powers they like they may be overturned at court but you have to there get first and also be prepared to spend plenty of money and use plenty of time.

Edited by Collos25 on 11/11/2013 at 17:58

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - focussed

Funny that there has been no response from the original poster yet.

More to this than has been posted methinks.

Renault Clio - Untaxed vehical - Armitage Shanks {p}

Posted a question, read the answers and didn't like them, slunk off to lick wounds and won't be back.