Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - magzelliott

Hi,

I have an S Max 2011 plate from new. My problem is that, this is the 3rd or 4th time that the tailgate lock has ceased to work. As soon as you shut it, it pops open again AND if you cannot get into the car quickly and shut and lock all doors, it opens again.

My local FORD dealer says that I have invalidated my warranty and that I may have to pay for the Tailgate switch to be replaced. This is because I used an independent engineer to carry out the last service for me.

I went and saw the enginer, whom I have used since 1994. He stated that he used MANN filters and not manufacturers parts. He told me that the UE Directive states that "the parts must be of equal quality to the manufacturers parts." Firstly, the problem is a tailgate lock and what has that got to do with not using FORD parts? I mean, it;s not as if theres a problem with the engine?? Secondly, what I would like also, if anybody knows is, can somebody send me a link or the correct quotation/wording of the EU Directive about this? ~Just so that I can confront the FORD garage and spoutthe legal wording verbatim. My late husband stopped using the local garage as the first time we bought a new car from them and they did the first service, the didn't tighten something up properly on the engine and oil leaked all over the driveway and we dreaded to think what would have happened had we been on a long drive somewhere. Sorry to make this so long and garbled. I have tried to keep it as short as possible whilst including all relevant facts. Thanking you in advance and I hope somebody can help me. Thank you. again

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - Andy P

It's called the Block Excemption regulation, and it statess that "the work can be carried out by an independent garage as long as that garage uses manufacturer approved parts and correctly follows the manufacturer's service schedule."

Note the use of the phrase "manufacturer approved", not quality. Ford will have a number of approved suppliers, so you can use parts from any of them. If you use a part from a non-approved supplier, then Ford is within it's rights to refuse to help with a problem.

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - magzelliott

Hi

Thanks for that response. Is there somewhere that lists all the suppliers that FORD approve do you know? That was a very interesting fact. I shall cat and paste that for future reference.

Cheers

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - brum

If the failure is as a DIRECT result of incorrect servicing (wrong parts) then they can deny a repair to that part (e.g. engine), BUT as the OP quite rightly says, a tailgate lock is not associated at all with the servicing.

It is still covered under warranty, contact Ford customer service and make a complaint against the dealer. Or try another dealer - phone them and explain the problem.

Exclusions
While our warranties are comprehensive, there are some things we don’t cover. Ford is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result of:
  • Damage caused by neglect, flooding, accident, rallying, racing or any other improper use
  • Normal wear and tear
  • Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions
  • Failure to properly maintain paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with Ford instructions
  • Unauthorised modifications of the vehicle or its components
  • Refilling or topping up with incorrect specification fuel (see 'Owner's Guide')
  • CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) conversions that are not approved by Ford
  • Use of bio-diesel or bio-ethanol alternative fuels in concentrations that exceed 5% (Excludes: Ford flexible fuel vehicles (FFV))
  • Use of supplemental additives and flushing agents for fuel or engine oil (unless specified as part of a Ford service requirement)
  • Failure to rectify on a timely basis any paint or corrosion damage identified during the Body and Paint Check
  • Factors beyond Ford control, such as: airborne contamination, storm damage, stone chips, scratches and the use of unsuitable cleaning agents
  • Repairs using methods that have not been approved by Ford
  • Failure to use genuine Ford branded parts and fluids or, parts and fluids that match the quality of genuine Ford branded parts and fluids.
Repairs covered by Ford Warranties can be performed by only Ford Authorised Dealers except in case of emergency (for example remobilising the vehicle if a Ford Authorised Dealer cannot assist).

Edited by brum on 23/10/2013 at 18:22

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - jc2

Don't know current policy but in the past there was no compulsion on the dealer to use Ford parts but if he didn't,it was his resposibility to offer the same warranty that Ford would.

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - Cyd

You can bet your bottom dollar that Mann & Hummel are an approved Ford supplier for some component or other (even if not oil filters). They are one of the worlds largest component suppliers to all sorts of car and machinary manufacturers.

Indeed, K&N oil filters, marketed to the "performance" sector are just M&H rebranded!! Made in their factory in Spain.

I dare say if you wrote to M&H telling them that a Ford dealer was questioning the quality of their oil filters, they'd probably have something to say about that!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann+Hummel

www.mann-hummel.com/en/corp/home/

and here in their news read about the 1 million air filters they supply to FORD
www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Automoti...f

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - daveyK_UK

Please name and shame the Ford dealer.

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - primeradriver

Remove Mann filter, replace with Ford-approved one, take it to Ford garage down the road.

Ford S-MAX - EU Directive on using NON Manufacturers parts. - brum

Remove Mann filter, replace with Ford-approved one, take it to Ford garage down the road.

Excellent solution!