ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - str8g8

Hi

Just bought a used ford ka for £740, 12 years old with a mileage of 49k. Its a bit battered but was happy with it as a second car.

When I got home I had a terrible thought - the odometer only has 5 digits and so only goes up to 99,999. So now I have a feeling the mileage is 149k, and there's nothing to prove otherwise - no service history or pervious MOTs (the current MOT shows 49k though).

Have I been conned? Is there any way to know for sure? and is there anything I can do about it?

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - Singlish

Paying £740 for a car is budget 'bangernomics' motoring.

It is unlkely a Ford Ka would clock up 149k in its lifetime, they tend to be 2nd cars used for local journeys.

If the car runs well, has a MOT and no obvious faults, I think you should enjoy cheap motoring!

Andrew

So you don't think its unrealistic for a 12 year old car to only have 49k on th clock?

I agree with you in principle, I just don't like the idea of being taken in. If the "real" mileage is 149k then we might not have bought that particular one that's all.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - daveyK_UK

49k or 149k,

it doesnt really matter on a 12 year old KA.

The engine will be the last of your worries, more concerning should be the rot whch will be pretty much everywhere

Does anyone know why Ford thought it was a good idea not to rust proof the KA?

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - dan86

The The same reason they didnt rust proof any cars of that vintage except maybe the focus witch got some milde rust proofing. I personally belive Ford were behind in that respect.

Well I was prepared for the rust and knew that was an issue with kas of this age.

I'm more concerned that we may have been lied to about the car's history, which amounts to fraud.

We only bought the car yesterday, should we take it back?

You can check on the dvla website for old mots test. If you have the mot recept it has all the information on there how to do it.

I could check the most recent MOT which we have a copy of, and the mileage was 49k

I tried to check previous MOT results using the doc ref no. on the VC5/2 (we have got the full VC5 back yet) but the dvla site said this ref wasn't correct or didn't match the reg

Is there a different ref no on the full VC5 doc?? I'm getting worried now :¬(

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - RT

Be realistic - to have done 149k miles in 12 years, it would have had to averaged over 12,000 miles/year - but no-one in their right mind uses a Ka for that sort of long-term mileage. 49k, an average of 4,000 miles/year is about right for that sort of car.

Well, that was my thinking, in my defense, and I hope you're right. I'm a bit freaked about the odometer and just want some proof, which now seems difficult to come by

The MOT cert clearly states 49k - are the mot test guys obliged by law to truthfully state the cars mileage, or are they just obliged to put what's on the clock?? Can they get away with playing dumb about it.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - elekie&a/c doctor

The Mot station will enter the mileage on the certificate as to what is displayed on the odometer.It could be correct or incorrect,it is not their problem.Even if there is no odometer fitted(some kit cars)or the mileage is not readable due to faulty digits,then this does not affect the status of the mot .

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - Galaxy

Well, that was my thinking, in my defense, and I hope you're right. I'm a bit freaked about the odometer and just want some proof, which now seems difficult to come by

The MOT cert clearly states 49k - are the mot test guys obliged by law to truthfully state the cars mileage, or are they just obliged to put what's on the clock?? Can they get away with playing dumb about it.

No, they only have to enter what's shown on the clock. Some years ago I repaired the speedometer on one of my old cars. I managed to repair the bit that measured the speed, but couldn't get the odometer to work as a part of it was broken. So, I reassembled the speedometer and the odometer read "000000".

When I subsequently took the car for it's next MOT test, the tester said to me "I can only put the mileage down for what it's showing........................................." !

The odometer doesn't (or didn't then) have to work to pass an MOT.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - NARU

As others have said you should be able to check it online.

At this age, condition is much more important than mileage, so if you have a relatively rust-free Ka, you've done OK.

I remember going to see a mini in pre-online MOT days. Odometer showed 35,000 miles-ish. But so did the last 4 MOTs - only the last three digits of the odometer worked!

I remember going to see a mini in pre-online MOT days. Odometer showed 35,000 miles-ish. But so did the last 4 MOTs - only the last three digits of the odometer worked!

That often used to happen, on many makes, when the high digits were adjusted - please don't embarass me by asking how I know!

I wouldn't say it was rust free, but it has been undersealed, and it was better than some of them we saw.

tbh, if it can last 12 months and we can use it Part Exchange next year, I would be happy.

I'm just worried about it conking out now and being faced with another repair bill or a write off.

If its been undersealed then its probably had some welding done to it or at least a caring owner.

OK, I managed to check the MOT histoty on the dvla website

But the only MOT that came up was the current one for 2013. Which I already have. There doesn't seem to be any previous ones - why would this be?

OK, I managed to check the MOT histoty on the dvla website

But the only MOT that came up was the current one for 2013. Which I already have. There doesn't seem to be any previous ones - why would this be?

MoT history has only been stored since full computerisation.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - mss1tw

A friend had an N reg fiesta (diesel, but all engines these days can do 100k+ with proper (And not so proper) servicing.

That went to the scrappy at 120,000 ish miles with all the essentials still working fine, but failed MOT due to, yup, rust. Everywhere. Sills, arches, doors.

Run it into the ground or until you get bored of it and learn how to do basic maintenance yourself.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - Avant

As others have said, don't worry. Too low a mileage can be just as bad for a car as too high, so you could be just as lucky or unlucky with 49,000 miles as 149,000. In any case, whoever you bought it from will probably not know either - so just take it as it is..

Bangernomics is inevitably a gamble, but one which makes sense. Check oil, water, air, fluids etc regularly and with luck you should get at least a year out of it.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - Galaxy
We've had computerised MOT tests for 3 or 4 years, now, so I would expect there to be 3 or 4 previous MOT tests recorded on the DVLA register.

The fact there aren't suggests the car hasn't been used for a considerable period. It could well have been sitting unused in someone's garage for 3 or 4 years, which could indicate the mileage of 49,000 miles could be genuine.

Edited by Galaxy on 13/10/2013 at 20:55

After ringing the DVLA and VOSA it seems there is only one MOT

There is a plate change from a private plate which means any MOT history is attached to the other plate unless I have the original MOT documents. Stupidly, I can't search for the web using the old plate number.

It does feel like the MOT history has been hidden to obscure the vehicles true mileage.

Is there any way around this? The only thing I can think of is a one of those paid vehicle checks using the old plate?

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - galileo

For the price you paid and the condition it is in, why on earth are you worrying? It's an old, cheap, runabout, you'd lose more money on a new car by driving it out of the sowroom than you can ever lose on this car.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - A3 A4

For the price you paid and the condition it is in, why on earth are you worrying? It's an old, cheap, runabout, you'd lose more money on a new car by driving it out of the sowroom than you can ever lose on this car.

Absolutely! Some pay more for a fridge!

Do the seats, foot pedal rubbers look highly worn? is the steering wheel and gear lever shiny? All tell tales signs of high mileage.

As long as it runs OK, starts, stops and does everything it should, as well as an MOT, just relax and enjoy it!

If you're really that worried wait until you get the V5 back and contact the previous owner.

The interior condition is very good, no obvious signs of heavy use, and it does run ok, so maybe you are right.

Being actively misled is a nasty feeling, that's all :¬(

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - skidpan

Being actively misled is a nasty feeling, that's all :¬(

You were only misled if the seller said it had done 49000 when he knew it had done 149000. From what you have said that is not the case.

Its a cheap old car. If it breaks scrap it. Enjoy it while it lasts.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - memyself-aye

look at the area around the fuel filler and the rear hatch lock - on a car that had done that mileage both would be rotten - some ka's rust here at 49k miles let alone 149.

ford ka - 2001 ford ka mileage - Siamese Cat

I've got an old Ford Ka, 1999, so 14 years old. It's got a genuine 40,000 miles on it (know this for sure as I've had it from 6months old) and it hasn't got any rust, none on the sills, none around the fuel cap Apart from pretty routine stuff nothing has ever gone wrong and it's still going strong. Perfect for cheap local driving. If the one the OP bought is like mine it's good for a while yet.

Edited by Siamese Cat on 15/10/2013 at 17:15