Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - monian

Good evening

I have owned a good number of cars in my time and apart from a couple of vintage ones, each one has been front wheel drive where the necessity to replace tyres (through wear) has been that of approx 3 front to 1 rear. I assume that the reason for this is that the front wheels are both pulling the mass weight and also turning the vehicle also - both actions thus creating wear and tear.

Now then, my MX5 is rear wheel drive and I am curious as to whether the 'front/rear' tyre wear pattern will be more evenly distributed, thus necessitating tyre renewal at the same time. What do you think?

Ian

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - Simon

Don't forget that the weight of the engine/gearbox bears down on the front tyres more than the rears in most cars.

As for your MX5, it may depend on how lively you drive it!

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - gordonbennet

My RWD vehicles usually wear tyres at even rates (i don't spin the wheels), but invariably the fronts suffer from shoulder wear so rotation is advised for best tyre life, and for best rotation practice you don't really want directional tyres.

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - Bobbin Threadbare

Just had 4 new tyres fitted to my MX-5; the ones removed had roughly the same wear-down on all 4. I do drive it in a lively fashion as well.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 13/10/2013 at 00:03

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - artill

I think you will have to judge things as they wear down. If you dont drive hard, or do mainly motorway driving the fronts will last a long time, possibly longer than the rears. But assuming you 'enjoy' driving your MX5 i think the wear will probably be fairly even.

I wouldnt suggest swapping tyres front to rear however. the rounded shoulders on the front tyres from wear become more of a problem on the outer edge at the back, where the car will lean more, and you are more likely to provoke a tail slide (although you might enjoy this!)

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - NARU

THe suspension on an MX-5 is adjustable in all three directions, both front and back.

It is only set up approximately right at the factory. Mine went from good to great when I got a full alignment done about 1000 miles from new.

I'm finding the wear is about even, but then I do drive fairly enthusiastically

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - monian

Well, thank you all for your advice, comments and observations.

I am not a 'tear bottom' nor boy racer but love to drive in a spirited fashion on A roads when safe to do so and, of course, when the mood takes. Here in North Wales however, we do have the '2 MPH over the limit' militia but then I do feel that much more a statement is being made to drive a potentially fast car in a sedate manner.

It amuses me to observe the 'first off at the lights' brigade appear perplexed when I refuse to play their games.

Once again, thank you and I will keep an eye of tyre wear

Ian

Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe - Tyre wear: advice please - RT

I've heard it said by technicians that cars imported from the Far East are strapped down very tightly on the ship and even if the alignment is done at the port of arrival they really need time to settle properly - so always a good idea to have a full alignment done at, say, 1000 miles.