Taxis in Brussels - Galad
Just back from a short weekend break in Brussels. I was struck by the number of high end Mercs, Audis and Skoda that are used as taxis and driven by maniacs on a death mission around the narrow cobblestoned streets of Brussels.

What puzzles me is that all the taxis I saw are common rail diesels yet Brussels ,like all big cities, is frequently in gridlock and these vehicles are not made for stop start, short trip journeys.

That said, quite a number are customised by the manufacturer as taxis with price read-outs on the rear view mirror etc. why do MB and VAG continue to churn out diesel taxis if they aren't really designed for urban driving?

I must pay tribute though to the engineering of Mercedes Benz. The taxi SWMBO and I took to Brussels airport to catch the early flight home was driven by Mad Max who went through at least a set of brake pads, a clutch and a gearbox in his attempt to get out of rush hour Brussels nearly killing several pedestrians/cyclists in the process and a driving style that would have destroyed most other car makes. Truly shocking.

Taxis in Brussels - daveyjp
Diesels work for taxis in cities like Brussels because they barely stop running and they do longer runs to the airport on a regular basis.

The last taxi I used abroad was in Lisbon. A 1990s Merc W124 300d stretched limo, in black. 600,000 km and it ran like a sewing machine, aircon working. No creaks or rattles, even at 140km/h on the motorway. That's why the cabbies abroad choose them.
Taxis in Brussels - Collos25

They do not work in the UK due a myth that accepted as true no other country tends to belive it and correctly so.

Taxis in Brussels - Avant

What don't work in the UK? Diesels? DPFs? Taxis? Belgians?

Can we have a translation please?

Diesels with DPFs

Taxis in Brussels - dan86

They work as taxis because there running all day and are at working temperature. It's short runs that are the problem.

Taxis in Brussels - RT

They work as taxis because there running all day and are at working temperature. It's short runs that are the problem.

So diesel with DPFs will work for everyone that buys diesels for the right reasons - only those who buy diesels when their usage pattern suggests they really need a petrol are likely to get issues with DPFs.

Taxis in Brussels - dan86

That's basically what im saying rt

And as for callos if he doesn't know that short runs are bad for deisels with dpf then theres no point to me answering him.

Edited by dan86 on 10/10/2013 at 09:24

Is this fact or anequdote? it does not seem to be problem on the other side of the channel it seems to be only in the UK perhaps its the fuel .

Taxis in Brussels - RT

There are differences in fuel across Europe, despite them all complying with the latest EN specification - the differences are caused by differences in the oil source used in refining which can leave different amounts of chemicals and/or minerals, at least as far as those not referred to in the EN specification go.

Even within the UK, the source of the oil varies - North Sea oil is often too good to be refined as diesel or heating oil so will be sold on the world oil spot market at premium price but then refineries have to buy in lower grade oil to make diesel with, which could come from any part of the world.

Taxis in Brussels - Mr Fox

I can not think of any time ever in my life that I've been in Petrol Engined taxi. The only ones Ive ever seen were Toyota Prius, or Prii and they are a hybrid.

However I did go in a VW Touran Taxi in France, and that guy had a whole load of trouble with his DPF.

We also have a VW Tiguan 1.6 TDI in France, driven by a Salesman that covers huge distances and he's been in and out of the VW garage like a fiddler's elbow because of the DPF, I have told him he needs to rev the s&&t out of it from time to time. Maybe the maniac taxi driver in Brussels was just trying to clear his DPF ???

We have two cars with DPF and have never yet had any issues, both get plenty of use.

I am tempted to think that its a small problem to some people, but that such a hysteria has grown up about it especially in regard to certain Makes, that now everybody is paranoid about it.

Taxis in Brussels - mss1tw

Maybe they've had their DPF's removed.

Taxis in Brussels - Galad

Funny you say that - some of the Merc taxis seem to have clocked up straship mileage and I could see all sorts of warning lights on the dash flashing including ESP, engine management light and a a yellow triangake with an exclamation mark. The cars in question seemed to be running normally and clearly the drivers weren't remotely concerned.

BTW, €75 one way to Brussels airport following gridlock in the city centre - a licence to print money!

Taxis in Brussels - mss1tw

Funny you say that - some of the Merc taxis seem to have clocked up straship mileage and I could see all sorts of warning lights on the dash flashing... and clearly the drivers weren't remotely concerned.

I think that's been standard taxi procedure since the invention of the car.

That and never, ever, leaving 4th gear.