Vauxhall Corsa CDTI 1.3 13 Reg - Engine needs decoking after 19,000 miles - Franklee Speaking

After 4 to 5 thousand miles of my Vauxhall loosing power I have now been informed that Vauxhalls have found that those that stop and start their vehicles will have to have their engine decoked. Does anyone know how much this could cost although I have this car under warrenty and knowing my car will stop and start alot because Im a Driving Instructor, could I find this happening again when the warrenty runs out.

Vauxhalls have just notified all dealers of this potential problem especially with Driving School car.

I believe that this car is not fit for purpose because i asked for a Driving school Spec car so will be looking for a full refund or a compatible car for my business. Does anyone agree?

Vauxhall Corsa CDTI 1.3 13 Reg - Engine needs decoking after 19,000 miles - RT

Wouldn't an "italian tune-up" occassionally eliminate any build-up of carbon, eg when you're late for a pick-up!

Vauxhall Corsa CDTI 1.3 13 Reg - Engine needs decoking after 19,000 miles - gordonbennet

Decoke, really?

Don't they mean the DPF needs a forced regen as its clogged up, can't see the combustion chambers clogged with carbon yet.

I agree you bought the wrong engine for stop start work.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/10/2013 at 22:01

Vauxhall Corsa CDTI 1.3 13 Reg - Engine needs decoking after 19,000 miles - The-Mechanic

Decoke !!!!

There's a term I haven't heard for ages. I agree that there must be some misunderstanding as to what needs "decoking" and would imagine it is indeed the DPF that requires a regen.

I don't know how you stand in regards rejecting the car as not fit for purpose as the handbook, I should imagine, point out that the DPF regularly requires a regeneration which normally is carried out automatically in course of a drive cycle.

A regeneration drive cycle usually takes place when the sensors in the DPF sense the filter is getting blocked and take place when driving at approx 50 - 60 mph and around 2500 - 3000 rpm. If these parameters are not met, the filter steadily gets more clogged, and after maybe 3 - 4 failed regeneration cycles, it needs to be force regen'd using diagnostic computer equipment.

If, like you say the majority of your useage is around town as a SOM car and you specifically indicated that was what you would be using it for, I'd be constantly hounding the dealership demanding they sold you the wrong car for the job.

Vauxhall Corsa CDTI 1.3 13 Reg - Engine needs decoking after 19,000 miles - focussed

I was unfortunate enough to have used a Corsa C with the 1.3 diesel as an instruction car. About the only thing it didn't need was a decoke in 50 k miles, alternator failed, wouldn't start in cold weather, steering wheel loose, clock spring failed, indicators failed, kept going into limp mode, n/s front suspension collapsed, fault lights on and off the whole time When I complained for the nth time to the oaf behind the service reception desk he shouted at me that "these cars are only for doing the shopping in-what do you expect?"

Goodbye Vauxhall - Hallo Honda ever since.