Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - wustersauce

I had been looking on the net for a 2010 Vauxhall Astra Exclusiv (VVT) and found one that was at a local dealership in Gloucester. This company is not a large has dealerships in Gloucester, Worcester , Ross on Wye, Cirencester etc.

The car I was interested in viewing was at the Gloucester Dealership and it was for sale for £7500 and had a mileage of 7034 miles on clock . My car was valued at £500 as it is a Fiat Stilo 2002 plate with 64,444 mileage.

The day I was going to view the car was saturday 11am at Gloucester. On friday afternoon the day before the viewing the phone rang and it was the salesman informing me the car had been sold.

Having spoke to a member of the sales team in Worcester they informed me that I could have been offered a the option of giving a £250 deposit to secure the car, (refundable) this was never offered by the Gloucester dealership

8 days later the same car with the same registration number and same mileage is for sale again . Though it is now for sale for £8500.

Oh yes I forgot to tell you all , some of the cars had a £250 discount if they were bought before 31st September.

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - Bromptonaut

Does this say something about the ethics and practices of the dealership?

Put it behind you and look elsewhere!!

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - Andrew-T

Does this say something about the ethics and practices of the dealership?

Put it behind you and look elsewhere!!

I thought there was an old principle saying that displaying an article for sale at a price was no more than 'an offer to treat'. The displayer is not obliged to sell at that price - but it is usually assumed that he will?

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - moob

Shady, but legal by the vendor.

like anyone selling something in retail, they can remove an item from sale if mispriced.

sounds like you missed the boat

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - Simon

Go and look at the car and offer them the £7500 that they had it for sale for a couple of weeks ago.

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - oldroverboy.

Know the dealer you are thinking of! Suggestions. If I may.... motor point Chevrolet cruze hatch £6500 up approx 1 year old. Hatch like the astra built on same platform. Servicing costs as per astra' I know I got one! Very happy after 14 months 1 service £135 + set of rear pads... sticking. 2 tyres @ 20000 miles from purchase.

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - daveyK_UK
There will be lots of shared parts with the Chevrolet Cruze,
save yorelf a few quid and get one instead of the astra.
Neither will prove reliable, but should be good value in comparison to other similiar size motors.

Vauxhall Astra - Buying a car - oldroverboy.
There will be lots of shared parts with the Chevrolet Cruze, save yourself a few quid and get one instead of the astra. Neither will prove reliable, but should be good value in comparison to other similiar size motors.

Hate to disagree daveyK, now on my 4th personal chevrolet since the oldrover45 went on its way. Lacetti estate 1.6 sx, used and abused for house refurb, servicing only while owned. Epica 20 diesel turbo, servicing only, battery failed 1 element, replaced under warranty 3 recalls done satisfactorily. downside was dpf when stopped doing lots of miles so changed at 3 years old expiry of warranty. current cruze as above servicing only. 09 Aveo bought for a mate, servicing only. current aveo bought for a mate power steering fault, replaced under warranty.

For the low purchase price of the cars, we're not complaining.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 08/10/2013 at 14:17