VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - Judesman

Last night the temperature gauge on my nine year old Golf failed to register. There was no problem with the coolant level. On the return journey there was the same problem but after about 10 miles the gauge suddenly registered correctly.

There is no point in taking the car to a garage with a non existant problem but I wonder what could have happened and am I likely to break down without warning?

Any help appreciated.

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - skidpan

On an old car its probably just an intermittent wiring fault. Check the wiring on the sender for starters, after many years in a hot environment the cables can go brittle.

If there is water in the car a non-working temp gauge will not cause a breakdown.

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - willingtonsteve

I just wonder if this is nothing more than a duff water temperture sensor, the VW group had lot's of problems with these.

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - A3 A4

Yep the sensor failed on my similar Mk2 Audi A3, it was random it can also give other symptoms such as the engine light, and the cooling fan running continuously.

Easy to replace its held in by a plastic clip, remove it and check the type (they do vary) about £7 on ebay for an original replacement, its on the top right of the engine and easy to get at.

Edited by A3 A4 on 02/10/2013 at 14:34

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - Andrew-T

Another possibility is that if the coolant has been changed recently there may be residual air in the system which exposes the temp sensor temporarily until it clears. While this happens there will be a low temp indication.

Most likely an intermittent fault though - sensor, gauge, wiring ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/10/2013 at 15:54

Well, thank you very much for all your replies. I have been out all day in the car and the gauge is all over the place. Sometimes it registers accurately and sometimes the gauge just drops back to nothing. Trully intermittent.

Thank you for explainig how to replace the sensor but unfortunately I am the world's worst mechanic (My wife calls me a start it yourself expert!)

At least I know wht is happening here so I will have a chat with my local garage.

Many thanks to all.

The temperature gauge has not caused a problem for over a week but I had the garage check it out. They took the car for a run and said the gauge was regestering all over the place. I am told I need a new sensor but I have been advised to replace the thermostat, thermostat housing and sensor because there MIGHT be a problem with the thermostat that could stick open or closed at any time . The garage wants £250 but I am reluctant to pay this sort of money for somryhing that MIGHT be wrong. I have asked the garage to replace the sensor only. Have I done the right thing?

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - elekie&a/c doctor

Why would they want to replace the whole unit if only the sensor is at fault?The sensor is the cheapest option to start with and progress from there.Perhaps you should have new tyres fitted because they might have a puncture?

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - BenG

My Seat Leon (1.9 diesel) has the same symptoms as your car, and I believe they share a lot of the same parts. Had the coolant temperature sensor replaced but it didn't sort the problem, which I assume is an intermittent wiring issue. The gauge registers zero when the engine should be warmed up, then moves to normal temperature instantly. Can't be bothered fixing it as the engine temperature seems to be OK, just the gauge is kaput.

As for replacing the thermostat, it's a scam. Just get the sensor / wiring sorted first and only then if that doesn't work try other things.

If you get to the bottom of the fault I'd be interested to know where the problem was.

Cheers,

Ben

Thank you for your input. The temperature gauge was either working or not at all and sometimes fluctuating eratically. I now understand that the car was taken for a run and driven VERY FAST.I am told that the gauge started fluctuating and that is why they thought the thermostat MIGHT be the problem. Anyway the sensor has been replaced so we will see what happens and Ben, I will report back.

Incidentally. Investigation £42. Sensor £31. Labour £25. all plus VAT. I should have been a garage mechanic!

The sensor is no more than £8 on Ebay, and a 2 minute jon to fit.

VW Golf Mk4 - Temperature Gauge Failure - Livefast123

As above, don't get ripped off. I changed the sensor on my Mk4 Golf Gti in a few minutes and got a genuine part off ebay. When it starts to go it can cause starting issues and excessive fuel consumption due to dodgy readings sent to ecu.

One way to test if the thermostat is knackered is to get the car warm then tskes for s run on the m way or dual carriageway, if the temp drops then it's goosed

Yes, it is a complete rip-off, but I am not a car mechanic.

Thanks for all your input.

This is a youtube guide on replacing the sensor on a Golf MkIV, I recon anyone could do it - have a look before paying out, the sensor is worth a punt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfIYdalV2cQ

Many thanks but the garage has now replaced the sensor so I am just waiting to see if there are any more problems.