none - Auto trader false adverts - dan86

I have been loking on auto trader for a cheep sub £1k car just to drive to work and back. T here seems to be a fair amounts of false aderts on there regarding price of the advertised vehicles.

there is a left hand drive Ford smax 53 platefor £250 but nouthing in the advert to say why so cheap also a honda legend that is advertised for £400 but on when lokking cloaser at the advert it say the car is for sale for £1500.

Do auto trader not check the adverts?

none - Auto trader false adverts - daveyjp
For sub £1,000 use local papers and supermarket for sale boards, ebay even. Autotrader advertisers put lower prices to get hits when you search for prices.

none - Auto trader false adverts - Mr Fox

I have noticed a lot of these, for example they put a car up for sale, a good few thousand below the price you would expect, they put in the ad to email only, not call them.

I'm pretty sure they will try and get you to wire a deposit over then dissapear.

As soon as I see any advert that looks suspicious I dont entertain it I just carry on to the nxt one. Im just qurious to weather auto trader check the adverts.

none - Auto trader false adverts - adam f

The reason people advertise at say £500 but put in the body of the advert "car is £2500" is because of the advertising costs.

For cars under £1000 it is only £10 to advertise for a certain period of time. For cars over £1000 it is £40ish to advertise for the same period of time.

Edited by adam f on 30/09/2013 at 11:58

none - Auto trader false adverts - NARU

The reason people advertise at say £500 but put in the body of the advert "car is £2500" is because of the advertising costs.

For cars under £1000 it is only £10 to advertise for a certain period of time. For cars over £1000 it is £40ish to advertise for the same period of time.

But if they're prepared to commit fraud over the advertising costs, that indicates the type of owner I'd prefer not to buy from (is the car genuine? are the services genuine? etc).

none - Auto trader false adverts - tony g
I don't think that there is anything more suspicious on auto traders wrongly priced car adds ,other than sellers trying to attract more potential buyers to read their add .

A good example is a ford cougar that's currently advertised at £75 that has a real sale price of £450 .

If you genuinely find them irritating ,the adds have a facility to report them to autotrader .I believe autotrader will then alter the add to show the correct price on the initial listing .
none - Auto trader false adverts - skidpan

"there is a left hand drive Ford smax 53 platefor £250 but nouthing in the advert to say why so cheap"

There is a very good reason why a 53 plate Ford S-Max is cheap, it cannot actually exist unless its a private plate. Ford did nit start making them until 2006.

none - Auto trader false adverts - Bobbin Threadbare

You can report dodgy adverts on Autotrader. If I'm scouring through and I spot fake/false info I report them. It always annoys me when I spot a good looking ad but the seller won't declare the mileage!

The registration on the car was a 53 plate but I didnt pay much more attention than that as im not interested in a ford smax was just using it as a example of a fraudulent advert as it was listed for £400 but gave no reason why.

Edited by dan86 on 30/09/2013 at 20:50

none - Auto trader false adverts - jamie745

This has always wound me up. People advertising the car at £999 and tacking on the end 'Price is £1450, not £999!'

Sometimes they even have the gall to warn me not to waste their time, but it's always fun to ring them up and keep saying 'so its £999 yeah' over and over. If I was really bored I'd go and see it, then offer them £999 in cash.

The people who do this don't seem to realise they're harming their own chances more than anything else, because by listing it at £999, somebody looking for a £1,500 car won't see it!

The solution though is for Auto Trader to charge a flat fee for every advert.

You are all missing the far more sinister and devious motives behind many adverts.

Have another look on auto trader, choose a relatively modern and sought after car.

See which is the cheapest...

I am sure it will be a shyster advert asking you to email
Look for Audi Q5 for example.

First one is 6K rest start around 12 k

Ad encourages you to email..... Is a scam
Same for an A5.....
none - Auto trader false adverts - Bobbin Threadbare

Another bugbear is the Lamborghini Gallardo in the list for £1000. You click, curious, and find out it's not car sales, it's a track day test drive.