Ford Modeo 2003 - Intermittent dashboard fault - KatharineLee

I bought my car in May 2004 and up until the last year it has needed nothing more than tyres, spark plugs, a battery etc. The usual stuff. It has 130,000 on the clock.

Since January the car has been in and out of the garage with a variety of issues. I've worked out that I've spent almost £1,500 on it this year alone (this included a new clutch and alternator). It now has an intermittent dashboard fault. I drive along and suddenly all dials go to zero and the digital displays go to dashes. Then maybe 5-10 mins later it comes back again. Sometimes it lasts the whole drive. I have to use my sat nav to work out what speed I'm doing instead. The only dial that works all the time is my petrol one. My other current issue is my air con won't switch off at all. So I'm going through fuel like nobodies business.

As it comes and goes it is very difficult to diagnose. The dash was sent off for diagnostics but they couldn't find the fault. So the garage tried replacing the body control unit, they bought a second hand one to try and save me money, but the issue is now back again. After a brief stint of it not doing it at all.

I've now spoken to Ford and they think it's the module unit behind the speedo. To replace this they are quoting £600. I've spent so much money on this car and there is no guarantee this will fix it either.

I'm at a loss really on what I should do. I'm a lone parent on a low income, my plan was to run this car into the ground but it's turning into a money pit. Should I try and fix this electrical fault? It's so hard to diagnose, as it comes and goes. But I cannot sell the car whilst it is doing this. Should I part exchange it and buy new? The bank of Mum and Dad have offered to help or should I do something else? As I said, until the last 9 months it had been a very good reliable car.

'Mondeo'

Excuse the typo.

Ford Modeo 2003 - Intermittent dashboard fault - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly ,there is no module behind the dash that controls the instrument pod/dials.From your description ,I would say that you may have an alternator fault.It is possible that it is producing excess voltage and the dash is shutting down.The aircon may be on all the time if you have the distribution control set to demist (screen)this brings on the a/c system even if the a/c switch is off.hth

Thanks for your reply. I know that the A/C stays on when set to the windscreen. I've had the car 9 years :)

But it's staying on ALL the time, even when you've pressed the button off and it's directed at you, not the windscreen. Just to clarify that point.

Interesting that you think it maybe the alternator.