Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - 3puddings

I had a frorced Regen on my Focus yesterday along with a DPF replenish, after the EGR valve was replaced.

The Garage warned me that the PAT fluid pump was pumping too much fulid into the car, as a result of a dodgy repair done on the car before I purchased it. This resulted in copious amounts of white smoke.

To remedy this in the short term we unplugged the DPF pump however the diesel in the tank has still got an excess of PAT fluid and is smoking like a Finish Sauna.

The only solution I can think now is to get the tank drained completely and refil with fresh diesel, does anyone know if this is the right course of Action.

Oh and if any one is thinking about buying a Diesel Focus don't the issues I have had with the DPF have put me off the entire brand for life.

Just checked the engine oil on a whim and what was once a full sump is now virtually dry, that will be what the smoke is possibly, there are no definites with a Ford

Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - dieselnut

Although you may have a problem with the Eolys ( PAT fluid ) system, too much fluid won't cause it to smoke excessively.

It sounds like the forced regen has goosed your turbo which may have already been on the way out anyway.

Look at this older thread. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

You will need a garage to follow the Ford TSB procedure, not a cheap fix, before replacing the turbo.

Yes its the Turbo what is on this ford TSB?, Injector number three has some signs of leaking too.

I have read the TSB and have a garage that will do the work for me quite inexpensively too as I am supplying all the parts. The Original garage that replaced the EGR and carryed out a Forced Regen did not do the Regen properley so for anyone that wants to know here art the steps that the garage should take whilst doing a forced regen:-

1. Oil and Filter change (oil at no more than 3/4 full) before the regen. (One mechanic said the oild filter should be soaked in DPF fluid I am not sure what this does, would make more sense in the fuel filter any comments would be appreciated.)

2. During the regen monitor the air flows and pressures in the engine these will not show up on the fault codes but will highlight any issues with the turbo running away with itself. (I got this advice from a main dealer mechanic)

3. Once exhaust is clear leave engine idle for a while and cool down.

4. Check oil levels after regen, especially if exhaust is smoking

5. Oil and filter change (the engine oil has taken a real battering during a forced regen in the garage so I'd always do that as a matter of course.)

Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - dieselnut

" One mechanic said the oild filter should be soaked in DPF fluid I am not sure what this does "

Make sure you don't use that mechanic.

The Eolys DPF fluid is only for mixing with diesel fuel not engine oil.

Best of luck with getting your engine repaired.

I am not using him. I am getting a factory reconditioined turbo with a new mounting kit. The oil is going to be compkletely flushed out before the turbo is changed, and the sump will be cleaned. The injectors are going to be checked and cleaned, and a few other bits. that should cover everything.

Every mechanic I have dealt with has said that the 1.6TDCI engine is a bad one so I am getting shot of this car as soon as I can afford it, I past the termination point on my finance this year so once this work is completed getting shot of this pig of a car is my next priority

Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - skidpan

Every mechanic I have dealt with has said that the 1.6TDCI engine is a bad one

Nothing wrong with the 1.6 TDCi engine. We had one for 5 years and never had a single issue. Consider how many Ford's, Peugeot's, Citroen's, Mini's, Mazda's, Volvo's etc are fitted with this engine, a few have issues but most do not. When you make this many of an engine type it is inevitable there are a few issues but this does not make it a bad engine.

From personal experience and trawling through the internet I will qualify that the ones they were making in for the first MKII focuses were terrible. Every Mechanic and RAC patrolman I have had work on this car has said the same thing about the engine, its a bad design and its terrible to work on.

Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - injection doc
They are a cracking engine that mostly suffer with lack of servicing or proper oil changes.
When the oil is changed it must be warm and left to drain for at least 20 mins and too be honest most don't bother !
Regular oil changes are essential.

Replacing the turbo without ensuring the sump oil pick up gauze is clear and the vacuum pump filter is clear and replacing the oil strainer in the banjo is a waste of money as the turbo will fail
Ford Focus - Engine Smoke after Forced Regen - 1.6TDci - elekie&a/c doctor

Some interesting info here.www.assuredperformance.ie/assets/images/Presentati...f

Quite horriffic, from my own experience I am planning on getting shot of this car as soon as possible. The total bill comes short of 1.5 grand to sort this problem out and that is only because I have sourced the required parts myself.

I will never buy another car with a PSA engine, I will also never buy another ford again as the build quality is in my opinion very poor, in the past couple of weeks I have drived quite a number of hire and courtesey cars that cost the same as the Focus and are far better in both build quality and performance.

What I have learnt from this car is

1. If the dealer says full service history demand copies of reports not just garage stamps in the log book, if it he cannot then it is not a full service history.

2. Always get a diagnostic report as soon as possible after buying a used car, this one needed a full engine service when it was delivered, the dealer wasn't happy when I told him about the garage report and it took a while to sort out.

3. Know the sale of goods act so you can quote from it with confidence.

4. Keep your service records and service the car, which I do.

5. Don't trust anyone who has the word dealer in their job title irrespective of what they are selling.

6. If you are unhappy with a garage after the work they have done photograph everything and get back to him quoting the sale of good acts and offer him the chance to put things right, if he dosen't offer to put things right compain formally.

7. Don't trust your mechanic, I have had some pretty bad advice from various ones in the past. In this case an RAC approved garage returned a car with no oil left in the sump when it was full before I gave it to them, they should have checked this out when the road test showed that it was smoking badly rather then tell me the smoke would go away after I had driven it for a bit.

8. Join the RAC or AA.