any - MOT Madness - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

A walking acquantance was telling another walker about the MOT failure of their car.

Seemed miffed that it cost them £693 to pass. Earwigging I found out that it needed 3 new tyres , all the brake linings front and rear replacing and a coil spring renewed.

The kind gran type who ferries little kids about.

any - MOT Madness - unthrottled

In fairness, "you need pads and discs squire" was a staple earner for unscrupulous MOT testers since 'excessive wear' was a subjective judgement. I changed MOT station when my discs and pads were unfairly condemned. Coil spring? Most people wouldn't know. No excuse for the tyres though!

any - MOT Madness - gordonbennet

Nothing surprises me.

The criminal neglect i found too often in my kerbside cowboy days would make your hair stand on end.

Two memorable ones from hundreds.

Renault 11, all front pads down to the metal and had been for so long that both solid front discs were around 1mm or less thick resembling ultra thin washers, how they didn't shatter in place i shall never know, wish i'd greased then up and framed them for posterity.

Citroen Ami or Dyane thingy, single piston front calipers, one side the pad had fallen out and the friction material was the piston itself, which looked like a baseball cap as the molten piston had formed a peak as it wore down..eek.

Tyres down to and through the cords was regular, as were seized calipers (still the same) and leaking slave cyls inside drum brakes with fluid soaked linings, as was finding no oil on the dipstick and one memorable case actually draining only 1 pint of oil from a rattly 2.3 V6 Granada, which once serviced went on for years without a murmer, amazing.

No doubt these owners are overjoyed at the new high mileage sevice intervals, save them having to overservice their cars any more..;)

any - MOT Madness - Drivethru

Changing the subject slightly, I have noticed garages still advertising pre-MOT checks, I can't for the life of me see the point of that, surely it's just wasting money to pay someone to tell you if anything is wrong with your car before you find that out anyway with the MOT. You get a free retest so why bother, unless I'm missing something?

any - MOT Madness - hillman

"Changing the subject slightly, I have noticed garages still advertising pre-MOT checks, I can't for the life of me see the point of that, surely it's just wasting money to pay someone to tell you if anything is wrong with your car before you find that out anyway with the MOT. You get a free retest so why bother, unless I'm missing something?"

I generally take my car in for a service and pre-MOT check. The garage proprietor then takes the car to the MOT for me and ensures it gets through.

any - MOT Madness - craig-pd130

In fairness, "you need pads and discs squire" was a staple earner for unscrupulous MOT testers since 'excessive wear' was a subjective judgement. I changed MOT station when my discs and pads were unfairly condemned. Coil spring? Most people wouldn't know. No excuse for the tyres though!

Recently had my wife's Corsa MOT'd, followed by its final Vx service in the warranty period. Passed MOT with no advisories.

Then, after dropping at Vx garage, I get the phone call from the service rep saying that "the front pads are 95% worn and the discs are nearly on the wear limit ..."

any - MOT Madness - daveyjp
Perfectly possible. MOT tests how well the brakes are working, not how much life is in them.
any - MOT Madness - Simon

That's not strictly true, a brake lining can be failed if it is less than 1.5mm thick at any point. This is obviously providing that the tester can see it and measure without any disassembly.