rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - 16dave

hi all,

i have had problems with the starter motor on my daughters car, i have replaced it with a second hand motor after having to clean the ground terminal on the solonoid etc, the stupid thing is now doing the same thing as if the spade connection is not making good contact and its just clicking when trying to start. can anyone tell me where the other end of the contact from the spade on the solonoid contact is on the car, im guessing it must be to ground on the body somewhere but have tried tracing it to no avail, would appreciate some help, thanks, dave

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - elekie&a/c doctor

There is no ground terminal on the starter solenoid.The whole unit grounds through the engine block.The main battery to engine earth lead is bolted through one of the starter motor securing bolts.

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - Simon

I would suggest that either the second hand starter is also faulty or you have a partially flat battery.

just put a meter on bettery and seems ok, will clean all the terminals as post above then look at new motor, thanks for the reply much appreciated

thanks for the reply, will clean all the connections and see what happens

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - Peter.N.

Checking the voltage with no load wont help a lot as a nearly flat battery will read 12 volts, connect your meter across it and the try and engage the starter, if the battery is flat the voltage will drop to practically nothing, if it doesn't, the fault is with the starter or connections to it.

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - Peter.N.

Checking the voltage with no load wont help a lot as a nearly flat battery will read 12 volts, connect your meter across it and the try and engage the starter, if the battery is flat the voltage will drop to practically nothing, if it doesn't, the fault is with the starter or connections to it.

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - Falkirk Bairn

The starter motor may not be the issue - battery could be duff, alternator may be acting up leading to flat battery, faulty earth etc etc

However simple approach

Give the battery a charge for at least a couple of hours - note the position of the needle (if there is one) on the charger when you start and 2 hours later.

If the battery is flat it will charge at a high rate initially, tailing off with time

If the car starts that eliminates the starter motor - the battery may be failing (even although it has taken a charge) or the alternator may not be charging correctly.

rover 25 1.4 - starter motor - sb10

Check out ignition switch as well they are a common failure on that car.