Approved Used Cars - A1Dan

Hi,

I've seen an approved used car for sale on the mazda official website, which exactly fits the spec I am looking for. Unfortunately it is 4 hours drive away.

I've previously only ever bought cars from independent traders, and in those circumstances I've obviously always ensured that I can drive and closely inspect the car prior to making a decision on purchasing. But I'm wondering if the fact this one is Mazda Approved means that I would be safe putting in an offer to buy without seeing it?

The approved scheme means that the car has a year's warranty and a 30 day return option. If I was to agree to buy I could get somebody to pick it up and deliver Ok, and they could also give a cursory inspection before driving it off.

Is this a sensible plan or a dumb one?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by A1Dan on 18/09/2013 at 19:16

Approved Used Cars - Andrew-T

Sounds OK, especially if you have faith in your proxy. And I presume any necessary warranty work could be done at your local Mazda dealer?

Approved Used Cars - jc2

Why not have the dealer deliver rather than a third party?

Approved Used Cars - Mike H

Hi,

I've seen an approved used car for sale on the mazda official website, which exactly fits the spec I am looking for.

The approved scheme means that the car has a year's warranty and a 30 day return option.

Can't really see a problem here, as long as the "return option" is cash rather than "exchange for something else". If it's the car you want, then it's a bit of a no-brainer. IMHO, of course ;-)

Approved Used Cars - Simon

I personally would not buy a car without viewing it first, you are setting your self up for potential disappointment. If you can't get to view it before it is sold, then another one will pop up sooner or later.

Approved Used Cars - Rockvilla

I've just bought an approved used Mazda2 (from Edinburgh), very happy with the treatment from the salesman and the whole purchasing experience.

The 12 month warranty, 30 day exchange and 12 month breakdown cover is very re-assuring. Any warranty work can be carried out at any Mazda workshop

Approved Used Cars - daveyjp
You can do the deal and place a deposit 'subject to inspection and test drive'. I did that with my B class as it wasn't at the showroom when I called in.
Approved Used Cars - A1Dan

Thanks for the advice everybody, pretty re-assuring.

I could potentially get it delivered, but I'm just thinking it may be cheaper if I can get somebody to pick it up.

Approved Used Cars - bathtub tom

What if there's something about it you don't like, how does it go back and who pays?

What if it needs work doing after you agree to buy it, do you have an 8 hour round trip?

I can't conceive an occasion when I'd buy a car sight unseen, too many things can go wrong.

Approved Used Cars - jc2

Thanks for the advice everybody, pretty re-assuring.

I could potentially get it delivered, but I'm just thinking it may be cheaper if I can get somebody to pick it up.

How would they be covered on insurance?That would also cost.

Approved Used Cars - barney100
I would not buy without seeing the car first, there could well be nothing amiss but if there is you will have problems.
Approved Used Cars - jamie745

Unless the car was new I'd want to see it first. There's some things you just can't tell from a photo and so many cars look better on Auto Trader than in person. That's not to say the dealers are dishonest, some cars just do look better in photos. It's harder to spot the trolley scrapes and car park dings without being there and running your hand over it.

You also don't know how it runs, how the gearbox feels, whether every button does as it should.

Approved Used Cars - monian

In May 2013 bought a Maxda approved car (MX5) from a dealer in Cheshire: seen on the net and Mazda's own website 'approved cars. Reserved over the phone and they kept the car for me until I had the time to travel over. Offered me th best PX of any quotes that I had gained for my Cooper.No commitment to buy the car if I didn't like 'in the flesh'. The vehicle superbly presented and I had the option to return withn 1 months if I didn't like it. NIce long test drive too with no obligation. (Oakmere Mazda by the way)

Superb car and some £2k cheaper than I could have bought here in Anglesey. I've never stopped smiling since!

Go for it

Ian