Kia Carens diesel, any major niggles? - geordielad

The better half has decided that we need a new tow car for our caravan (950kg max). I'm quite happy with my old Peugeot 405 GRD, but it's an image thing and she who must be obeyed has spoken. After some research I believe the Carens, the old model, may meet all our requirements. Can't seem to find any common problems, bar it's ugly and hasn't kept it's value.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Kia Carens diesel, any major niggles? - Ordovices

If it's the 2.0 crtdi engine then it is a pretty reliable unit with more than enough capacity for a lightweight caravan (same engine was in the original Santa Fe).

I had a car with that engine and based on that platform for 130K miles, averaged 45 mpg solo. Cambelt change was around the £250 mark every 70K miles.

Only major problem I had was a cambelt tensioner failure (my fault, I didn't have it changed with the belt) however, the design of the cambelt cover kept the failed tensioner roller sufficiently in place to avoid any catastrophic damage. Had to replace a rear wheel bearing, £50 for an OEM hub wasn't too bad and a rear caliper had to be refurbed.

Kia Carens diesel, any major niggles? - Wackyracer

A friend of ours has one and not had any serious issues with it in the years they have owned it.

I don't like the gearchange much, Too much travel and feels a bit 'raw' for my liking but, The engine performs well.

The issues that I can remember were door handles breaking (as made of poor quality plastic that is chromed), Serpentine belt started slipping but was cured by using a slightly shorter belt and a rear brake disk corroded on the working surface due to the dealers not fitting replacement pads properly (the pin on the pad was not aligned with the piston causing it to press the pad at an angle to the disk).

After about 7 years it has a slight diesel leak from the pump but, overall they have been pleased with it.

Kia Carens diesel, any major niggles? - Ordovices

Well remembered, forgot about the diesel leak. It was thea connection from the HP pump, just needed a tweak with a spanner!

Kia Carens diesel, any major niggles? - geordielad

Thanks for the info, I've found a couple local and will give them a good looking at, and here's a main dealer down the road from where I work, which is where I first noticed them.

Jonathan.