Ford Fiesta Finesse 2000 (X-reg) - New Key - davieschrisj

Hi,

I only have 1 Key for my Fiesta (tibbe key with red transponder chip). Does anybody know if it is possible to purchase a new key and chip from flea-bay, have it cut (I have figured out the T-number) and reprogramme the new chip myself using the old key? I have been to the local Ford dealership and been quoted £140+ and same from the local auto locksmith. As my car is only worth just a bit more than that, I am not so keen on shelling out that sort of cash, if I can do it myself.

Cheers

Ford Fiesta Finesse 2000 (X-reg) - New Key - skidpan

Key cutting is not a DIY job and since the supplier will need your key to prgramme the chip in the new key its impossible to simply buy one off e-bay. If it was that simple no car would be safe.

Go to your local Timpsons branch, they do key cutting and supply keys/remotes to suit most makes. They quoted me £50 a while ago for a replacement for the wifes Kia.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 2000 (X-reg) - New Key - bathtub tom

I had a Focus of about that age. There was a way of making a third key. IIRC you had to purchase a blank, get it cut and then using the ignition lock and the other two, programme the chip in the new one.

I think you're stuffed unless you've already got two keys.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 2000 (X-reg) - New Key - davieschrisj

There are a few shops on ebay that supply blank replacement keys and will cut them if given the specific key T-number. There are also other shops that will supply a blank transponder chip. I have read in various places on t'interwebz that is possible to reprogramme the chip yourself, some say you need 2 keys, some say it is possible with only 1, so was wondering if anyone had any experience in this?
Also, as I live in the Channel Islands, there is no local Timpsons, but the local equivalent quoted me £140.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 2000 (X-reg) - New Key - skidpan

As was said above you need 2 keys to self programme. The instructions are in any Ford handbook. Bit of a faff but it works only with 2 keys.