Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - ricki_611
Can anyone help I've got an 04 focus tdci ltd ed and have been loosing power after 3k revs I was told dmf so I've replaced clutch and fly wheel but still have same prob also tried maf sensor change. Now being told turbos gone. Any advice please.
Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - cdavis89

Not an expert at all but I had the turbo fail on my 1.6tdci recently, started off with a whirring/siren noise followed by a clunk for a few days then I had complete lack of accelleration. On my 1.6 tdci focus the turbo kicks in around 1.5-2k revs I believe and you feel a definite push of power around those revs. If you still feel that kick then the turbo should be fine. I know when mine went I had so little acceleration it was quite ridiculous. I know it's a bigger engine but still, if you have normal acceleration then I'd say perhaps not turbo. as a last resort you can undo the jubilee clip holding the rubber intake pipe onto the turbo and put your fingers in WHEN THE ENGINE IS OFF AND *COLD* and physically check the condition of the turbo vanes. Google says they should spin smoothly and not move up/down in/out as that indicates wear on the bearings.

Like I said, no expert but something to consider. Cost me just over £800 for a reconditioned turbo at a non-ford garage. Took a chance I know!

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - cdavis89

In addition to that when the turbo had finally failed for good it sounded *awful*. With the bonnet up and revving the engine past 2k revs it literally sounded as though there was a handfull of gravel in there somewhere, might not happen with every turbo failure but you'd be hard pressed to ignore it if it was there.

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - galileo

. as a last resort you can undo the jubilee clip holding the rubber intake pipe onto the turbo and put your fingers in WHEN THE ENGINE IS OFF AND *COLD* and physically check the condition of the turbo vanes. Google says they should spin smoothly and not move up/down in/out as that indicates wear on the bearings.

Axial movement and radial movement should be no more than about .010" (.25 mm) or so with normal running clearances in the bearings. If the vanes can touch the sides of the housing that is too much.

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - Pablo202
This may be a little late.....but.......

I had a peugeot 497 sw diesel and suddenly I lost power. I managed to get it to a garage and I had blown one of the hoses off the turbo. They fixed it back on again and it was fine. About two months later it did the same thing.....or so I thought....but this time the turbo had blown up. Very messy!!!!!

Pablo
Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - Terminator-17

ricki

The rubber right-angled hose that connects on to the inlet manifold splits underneath.

You'll need to remove it to see the split (easy - two clips) and there is a whole modified section available from Ford.

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - 3puddings

Get the fault codes, I recentley had a whirring noise from my 1.6 TDCi one garage said it was the injectore turns out it was the EGR Valve which was clogged up with soot and I was loosing power at the same number of revs.

The EGR cost me around £300 but you can get them cheaper.

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - guyzza

Loss of power can sometimes be inlet hoses running from intercooler to turbo and intercooler to egr valve ( inlet mannifold) also check all the little rubber hoses for vacuums etc .. take cover off top of engine and check them one by one.. and put some injector cleaner in with the fuel

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - BenG

Check the small-bore vacuum pipework on top of the inlet manifold as stated - my car lost most of its power when a small bore pipe was not connected to the black plastic box on top of the left hand front suspension tower. Also check the variable vane actuator lever on the turbo moves freely and smoothly.

EGR issues can affect this engine and usually lead to hesitant and smoky running. The valve gets clogged with oily soot and can be cleaned or replaced if required.

First & easiest thing to check is al the presure pipework between the turbo & the inlet manifold, for splits or leaks. Hole might close up when not under presure so can be hard to see, but oily patches and oily spatter on nearby components can given them away.

Similarly, check the jubilee clips at the pipework joints are tight and not leaking.

Focus 1.8 tdci - Lack of power ford focus - john goodinson
have you looked at the injectors, if one or more are defective the ecu will will pull off the power slightly to protect the engine , get someone to put a diagnostic machine onto your car, this might be cheaper for you in the end