Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Rockvilla

Hi Folks

Im trying to narrow down my choices for a replacement for my aging Almera and so far Im down to the choices above.

I've had a test drive of a few of each and each impress in their own particular ways. The Swift (04-10) I thought was a nice 'fun car', the Mazda2 (new style) sportier, the Jazz (02-08) an amazing load carrier and the Focus (2nd & 3rd style) felt a stronger car.

Im in my car alone most of the time commuting to work (5 miles urban and national speed limit dual carriageway) with longer trips 2 or 3 times a week. Engine size I dont really want to go above 1.6 (tax disc costs!) and obviously Im wanting decent economy.

I've ruled out diesel due to the limited mileage I do.

Having read various tests, reviews, owners reviews and the info on HJ I cant seem to whittle the list down any further. So I turn to the good folks on this forum!!!

In your honest opinions, how would you rate the above?

Best regards

Joe

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Bobbin Threadbare

I've driven 3 out of the 4 of those. Quite different sizes; the Focus and Jazz are a different segment to the Mazda 2. The 2 is really fun! The Jazz I found sluggish and weird, like driving a mini-bus, but it's not my style of car at all (there's no oomph and it could never been described as sporty) and I didn't really like it. The Focus is a good all-rounder; you can fit a lot in them, they handle well and there's plenty of room. 1.6L gives just enough power in the Focus; any less and you're not going anywhere, but I'm basing this on a Mk I in which I commuted 120 miles a day some years ago.

You're right to rule out diesel; there's no point on short trips like that. I'm wondering if some sort of hybrid wouldn't be the best for you but you're not going to get one for £5k I don't think. You could add the Mazda 3, which is Focus-sized. A Toyota Yaris might do you very nicely but it won't be as zippy as the Mazda 2.

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Avant

I agree with the suggestion that you try a Yaris - go for the 1.3. My daughter had four of them in succession and found them quite zippy. The Yaris has sold better than the Mazda 2 so there will be more to choose from. But the 2 is a good car as well.

The Swift is probably more fun than either, if you are within range of a dealer.

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - NARU

Its not a terribly engaging drive, but the Jazz is amazingly practical - in day to day use we find it takes easily as much as the estate car which preceded it. THe fold up seats make it especially useful for carrying our elderly dog.

My wife would not swap hers for any other car.

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Rockvilla

Thanks for your replies folks

I did try a few Yaris but I found the central instruments a bit off putting, coupled with the lack of anything in front of the steering wheel! They were really nice to drive though, I tried the 1.0 & 1.3 engines.

LIkewise with the Jazz, I've driven both 1.2 & 1.4 engined ones - I just dont know if Im ready for a 5-door car!!! (42 and still think Im young)

I took a 1.4 Focus out for a drive last night, it was very lethargic and didnt impress much - great equipment levels though.

Regards

Joe

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Ald

I have had 2 Jazz's I agree that they are not the most engaging car to drive but they are very easy to drive with a really well thought out clutch and gearchange feel which is handy most of the time. Fuel economy is really very good and although they feel a bit plasticky inside they are well screwed together. The trump card for us was just how spacious the car felt inside, you never really feel like you are in a small car, the windows are large as are the mirrors, and when the rear seats are folded you effectively have a small van which is very handy. I guess the choice comes down to whether you prefer something more 'enjoyable' to drive or value space, reliability, economy and practicality I suppose.

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - madf

We have a Jazz. Agree about the practicality. Makes all other small hatchbacks look small and very difficult to convert. So easy to do, no unhooking seat belts etc.. and a nice flat boot floor so your back does not get hammered when you lift stuff in/out. Ideal for furniture or insulation or rubbish to tip etc. And shopping and pushchairs etc (if you are into children or OAPs)

Ignore what the motoring journalists say about comfort and practicality - beats all hands down. (I looked at all the major ones before we bought and frankly the others are pants by comparison).

Edited by madf on 06/09/2013 at 14:54

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - bear807

You are 42 and don't want feel old driving the jazz? I shall say im 24 when i own my jazz. drive it 2-3 years never given me any major problems. The practical of jazz simply beats its class even better then size of car like golf. i remember thats the only supermini which can fit 2 proper size bicycle with a mid range size piano in the same time. one time i even fit a full size elliptical in it. ride is not comfortable but still it is very economical. Already missing it, since i now dont need to move around sold it and get a new polo, much more refine but no where economical and pratical as jazz. forgot about swift and jazz if u want to move stuff around, the boot is hopeless!

Thanks for everyones replies on this.

I settled on an 08 place 3-door Mazda 2 1.3 TS in Aurora Blue which I picked up yesterday. Was a Mazda Approved used car brought from a Mazda dealership with a years Mazda Warranty and Breakdown Cover. The Salesman has completely restored my faith in those guys!

Very pleased with it, drove it 40 miles home with pleasure. I'll give updates on how I get on with the car. if anyone would be interested in reading about it.

I must say, folk who drive westward out of Edinburgh on a daily basis deserve a knighthood!!!

Swift, Mazda2, Jazz, Focus - Your thoughts please? 4-5k Used Car Budget - Glenn 42

The Mazda 2 is a sound choice as it's almost as reliable as the Jazz, but cheaper to buy and will probably cost the same to insure and fuel. The Swift would have been a sportier choice, but the older shape ones with the 1.3 engine tend to be thrashy at speed and not very economical, the 2010 on models are far better.