V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - Bycro
Hi all

My current car is at the end of its company lease period, so I have been tentatively looking for a replacement that will give us some savings both in leasing costs, Benefit in kind, emissions & MPG.

A car of particular interest is the new Volvo D2. The manufacturer is claiming 81.3 MPG combined and 91.1 extra urban. This appears to be extremely good.

Does anyone own one, and could tell me what sort of MPG figures are being returned ?
V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - unthrottled

Volvo use the Ford/PSA/BMW 1.6 mill, so the economy will be comparable to the similarly sized cars that also use it-early 50's to early sixties, depending on usage.

Volvo use the Ford/PSA/BMW 1.6 mill, so the economy will be comparable to the similarly sized cars that also use it-early 50's to early sixties, depending on usage.

Thanks for the reply unthrottled, that's a long way from what Volvo are claiming.

It looks bad but in terms of fuel cost the difference isn't as terrible as it looks. Fuel economy is the reciprical measurement of fuel consumption and can be a bit misleading when the numbers get large...

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - craig-pd130

I'm on the UK Volvo owners' forum quite a lot, and most people with a D2-engined car seem get a genuine average of 45 - 50mpg at the pumps (not on the computer).

However, the 2 litre 5-cylinder diesel in either D3 or D4 spec gives almost identical real-world mpg, according to users' experience. With its greater torque output over a wider rpm range, it doesn't need working as hard as the 1.6.

Unfortunately these cars are not lightweight, even the basic models are 1300+ kilos if I remember correctly.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - balleballe

i'm considering an S40 with the 5cyl 2,0D.

If I remember correctly you have this in an S60. Have you ever measured its MPG solely from motorway driving?

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - craig-pd130

i'm considering an S40 with the 5cyl 2,0D.

If I remember correctly you have this in an S60. Have you ever measured its MPG solely from motorway driving?

Sorry, I missed this question before.

I do keep a record of mpg at every fill-up (yes, I AM that tedious). I've never done a tankful which is 100% motorway driving, but several where motorway driving has been 75% of the miles for that fill-up (i.e. 600 miles on the tank, of which 450+ were motorway).

In those circumstances it's never given less than a genuine 50mpg. When road conditions allow, I cruise at an indicated 80 - 85.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - brum
the new Volvo D2. The manufacturer is claiming 81.3 MPG combined and 91.1 extra urban. This appears to be extremely good.

If in reality you only get 45-50mpg, then I would say the manufacturer is definitlely fraudulently representing mpg (and hiding behind the EU tests). It is criminal imo.

I am firmly of the opinion that the EU tests cannot allow such a discrepancy and that fraudulent manipulation must be involved.

Edited by brum on 05/09/2013 at 13:55

If in reality you only get 45-50mpg, then I would say the manufacturer is definitlely fraudulently representing mpg (and hiding behind the EU tests). It is criminal imo.

If you turn in 45mpg mixed driving with that motor, you need to be honest with yourself about driving style. It's a perfectly adequate (if unexciting) engine used by a lot of manufacturers.

It's a fair bet that the demographics of buyers of the 1.6 and 2.0 don't exactly overlap.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - Armitage Shanks {p}

The manufacturers are legally required to quote the figures obtained in the EU mandated tests. If the figures are wrong it is up to the EU to change the tests; many manufacturers point out that the figures are not likely to be achievable in real world conditions.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - skidpan
The manufacturer is claiming 81.3 MPG combined and 91.1 extra urban. This appears to be extremely good.

No manufacturer claims any MPG figure. They quote the EU official figure which they have to do by law. If they quoted different figures they would be prosecuted. There is always a statement explaining what the figures are for in the brochures/adds/websites. It clearly states that they do not garantee these figures

Just take between 20% and 25% off the quoted figure to obtain a realistic figure.

Also look at the "real MPG" figures on this site and in What Car magazine.

The manufacturer is claiming 81.3 MPG combined and 91.1 extra urban. This appears to be extremely good.

No manufacturer claims any MPG figure. They quote the EU official figure which they have to do by law. If they quoted different figures they would be prosecuted. There is always a statement explaining what the figures are for in the brochures/adds/websites. It clearly states that they do not garantee these figures

Just take between 20% and 25% off the quoted figure to obtain a realistic figure.

Also look at the "real MPG" figures on this site and in What Car magazine.

I have here in front of me the price & specification brochure from Volvo. I quote " official fuel consumption figures are obtained in accordance with directive 93/116/EC as amended by 1999/100/EC. The figures are obtained under controlled test conditions and as such consumption achieved on the road will not necessarily accord with the official test results. " You are right Skidpan about the EU figures, but I believe using the word official could be argued as a misrepresentation of facts. It is misleading and should not be allowed. How can this be allowed ?

but I believe using the word official could be argued as a misrepresentation of facts

How so? 'Official' simply means that the figures were derived in accordance with the legally prescribed protocol. Volvo (or any other manufacturer for that matter) are not permitted to advertise any other figures. The NEDC drive cycle is riddled with errors but it isn't Volvo's fault.

but I believe using the word official could be argued as a misrepresentation of facts

How so? 'Official' simply means that the figures were derived in accordance with the legally prescribed protocol. Volvo (or any other manufacturer for that matter) are not permitted to advertise any other figures. The NEDC drive cycle is riddled with errors but it isn't Volvo's fault.

I think you would agree unthrottled It would be difficult to achieve the Official figures claimed in "real life driving". So that would appear to me to be a misrepresentation of facts.

But they don't claim the figures reprersent "real life driving". The figures are a joke, but ask yourself this: would you want your BIK/VED rating to be based on real life fuel economy...?

Realistic consumption figures wouldn't be all milk and honey for consumers. There's the little matter of regulated emissions (CO, HC, and NOx). Very few engines would be capable of meeting prescribed emission levels without at least retuning or redesigning. The result would be a less efficient engine with probably less power. Think of American cars in the 1970's...

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - Leif

Unfortunately they are at best a misrepresentation and at worst fraudulent. They are allowed to change the tyres, remove the side mirrors, block the grill and make other changes before a test that mean that the figures are fiddled.

And this is not fair on honest manufacturers, it encourages everyone to cheat.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - galileo

They only cheat because of the ludicrous legislation passed by the EU and spineless, scientifically ignorant governments obsessed with CO2 emissions.

Our governrment cheerfully committed to cut UK emissions in total to a level below what they were in the Middle Ages, so that is the lifestyle we can look forward to if no one sees sense.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - Ethan Edwards

I use HJ's real MPG feature on this site. Or Fuelly. Proper information from real people and not EU skewed rubbish. Roll on the referendum!

They are allowed to change the tyres, remove the side mirrors, block the grill and make other changes before a test that mean that the figures are fiddled.

Not they cannot, the cars must be tested in strict accordance with the rules.

What good would changing the tyres, removing the mirrors and blocking the grille do even if they did do it. The test is carried out on a rolling road in a laboratory where there is no wind resistance and little tyre drag.

What no one has said so far is MPG is not measured during the tests. The CO2 output is measured to determine the taxation class, the fule consumpion is derived from these figures by some clever formula.

As has already been said if you want the figures to relate exactly to the facts be prepared to pay extra RFL and for company car drivers extra company tax every year.

I am quite happy getting about 8 mpg less than the official average for my new car and paying £30 a year FFL. If I paid RFL based on the True MPG I would be £145 a year worse off.

But I am realistic about my MPG expectations before I buy and do not expect to get the fairy tale figures quoted. Only a mad man would expect 80+ mpg form a Volvo.

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - daveyjp
Correct skidpan. I suspect manufacturers are getting very good at programming ECUs to run engines as lean as they can, but not in a state of tune which is useable by a purchaser.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/09/2013 at 15:51

I dont think skidpan is correct. I think there are several bits of information supplied on trust by the manufacturer to the testing body - which in some cases I believe may even be the manufacturer themselves.

For instance - the manufacturer conducts a rolling/wind resistance test - they take a " production car" and roll it along a test track in neutral at a fixed speed and measure how long (in metres) it takes to come to a halt. You can bet there is plenty of scope to optimise that.

The manufacturer also supplies a "loosening up" figure - that is how much more a new vehicle consumes compared to a fully run in vehicle - this is required as new vehicles are always much tighter than say a vehicle at 30,000 miles. Who checks that?

These are factored into the lab test to give final figures.

Edited by brum on 06/09/2013 at 16:44

I dont think skidpan is correct. I think there are several bits of information supplied on trust by the manufacturer to the testing body - which in some cases I believe may even be the manufacturer themselves.

For instance - the manufacturer conducts a rolling/wind resistance test - they take a " production car" and roll it along a test track in neutral at a fixed speed and measure how long (in metres) it takes to come to a halt. You can bet there is plenty of scope to optimise that.

The manufacturer also supplies a "loosening up" figure - that is how much more a new vehicle consumes compared to a fully run in vehicle - this is required as new vehicles are always much tighter than say a vehicle at 30,000 miles. Who checks that?

These are factored into the lab test to give final figures.

Where do people get this info from.

There is no such thing as the "rolling/wind resistance test".

Cars submitted for the test must have 1800 miles on before being tested.

Suggest you read the following before typing such nonsense.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

Or alternatively provide a link to the source of your information.

I used the wrong terminology - its called a coastdown test and yes its carried out by the manufacturer to determine rolling resitance and aerodynamic drag.

Edited by brum on 06/09/2013 at 22:14

The Type Approval test procedure consists of two main elements, being the actual emission test (also known as Type I test or NEDC test) carried out in a laboratory using a chassis dynamometer,and a “coast down” test to determine road load parameters that need to be simulated by the chassis dynamometer. Instead of using road load parameters determined from a coast down test manufacturer can choose to use so-called “cookbook” values. In that case chassis dynamometer settings are determined by applying a prescribed set of load terms, which are dependent on vehicle mass. The mass is looked up in the ‘cookbook’ or table in UNECE Regulation No. 83 (version 4),
Annex 4A, Chapter 5, page 103 and the appropriate set of load terms read off and entered into the dynamometer control system. With this method there is no coast down matching as there is no target speed vs. time curve.

What good would changing the tyres, removing the mirrors and blocking the grille do even if they did do it. The test is carried out on a rolling road in a laboratory where there is no wind resistance and little tyre drag.

???

The resistance of the rolling road is set to simulate air resistance at the given vehicle speed, so, yes, it is included.

What is not included is wind speed-and, no, this doesn't cancel out if you drive in a circle.

The resisance of the rollers is set to simulate the force required to provide acceleration (positive, zero, or negative), rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.

Ftotal=(m*a)+(mu*m*g)+(0.5*Cd*A*Rho*V^2)

Power required +F_total*V

Where m=mass of vehicle, a=rate of acceleration, mu=coefficient of rolling resistance of tyres, g =acceleration due to gravity, Cd =coefficient of drag, A=effective cross sectional area of vehicle, and Rho=density of air

V40 D2 - New Volvo Manufacturer MPG Claim - 72 dudes

LMAO - another great post from unthrottled.

The D2 is a useable economical engine. I recently tried a V40 D2 SE at a Volvo driving event. For me, the lack of grunt below 2000 RPM was an issue, and as craig pd says, the D3/D4 are much better bets.

A mate has the D2 in his C30 and reports around 60 MPG on a good run, although this is via the on board computer, not brim to brim.

Realistically I would expect low to mid 50's in mixed driving.