KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - lukecope

Had new (63 plate) for less than 48 hours (87 miles on the clock), had coolant warning light illuminate, spoke to dealer who suggested calling out the RAC. Patrol man filled up rad with water and pressure tested and found leak in "the system somewhere", Towed to dealership and advised that a stone had pierced the rad. Was advised that this is not covered by warranty !!

Anyone heard of this before or can offer advice please?

MTIA

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Falkirk Bairn

If there is stone damage then this is not a manufacturing fault - owner pays

It is an accident and you could claim on your car insurance policy - however, the excess would exceed the cost of a radiator.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Galaxy

Very bad luck on such a new car, OP. However, I'm afraid that, if this is, indeed, what's happened then there's no way it will be covered by the car's warranty.

In theory you could probably claim on your car insurance, but, in practice, I very much doubt this would be worth doing.

Just have to pay up, I'm sorry to say.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - lukecope

Thanks for your replies, does anyone have experience with this type of damage to cars ?

Cheers.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - focussed

Thanks for your replies, does anyone have experience with this type of damage to cars ?

Cheers.

Unlucky!

I've had a stone hole a radiator once only on a nearly new Volvo 240. It was a firm's car so it just went into the nearest Volvo garage. Happened on the M1 on the way to east midlands airport many years ago.

Edited by focussed on 05/09/2013 at 00:20

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - gordonbennet

Flying stones are a problem, puncture air con condensors and intercooler radiators too, none cheap, believe it or not even straw blown from a farm trailer can puncture your rad if it hits right, its just bad luck.

Some DIY people fit fine mesh across the huge grinning mouth open spaces (un)fashionably designed as radiator grills, its getting the right mesh in the first place and securing it in front of the radiators and behind the grill without looking too odd thats the difficulty, i'm not referring to the larger mesh often in polished steel designed to 'customise' air intakes by the way such as you would see on plumbers Bentley grills, though better than nothing.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - markspend01

Hey Guys well i think that's really appreciating information about stone pierces.Thanks!!

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - markspend01

Hey Guys well i think that's really appreciating information about stone pierces.Thanks!!

Edited by Avant on 24/10/2013 at 21:10

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - gordonbennet

NURSE...NUUURRRSE...he's stopped taking his medication again.

Edited by Avant on 24/10/2013 at 21:11

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - RT

I've heard of this sort of incident puncturing the air-con condenser fitted in front of the coolant radiator - that's even more expensive to replace!

One way to reduce the possibility is to fit a fine mesh behind the radiator grill - but modern cars are a PITA to get there.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Simon

It all sounds like too much of a coincidence to me, 87 miles and a stone managing to pierce the radiator on a new car? In all my years and miles I have only ever had one radiator holed and that was the result of a gritter and a radiator well past its best.

Does it not have aircon? If so there should be an aircon rad in front of the main coolant radiator.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - littleolliez

Was it the RAC man or garage telling you stone pierced the rad. If RAC i would say hes not going to say it unless believes it to be the case. If garage you could always ask a independent accessor to have a look or maybe talk with your insurance and see if they can suggest who to look at it.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Cyd

It is quite possible that a stone had punctured your rad. It is a problem on many cars, and especially when it's the aircon condensor that gets it! GB summarises well.

However in this instance the mileage and ownership period is so low it makes me suspicious. 87 miles is the kind of distance it might take for a small hole to leak out enough fluid to cause the light to come on (around 0.5 litre maybe?).

Have the dealer replace the rad for you. Insist that the rad is kept for you. Inspect the hole under good light and a magnififier (take along your own - worht 6 quid surely? www.maplin.co.uk/3-part-5x-7x-10x-eye-loupe-set-21...9).
If it really is a stone strike you should be able to see that the hole is irregular in shape and the edges will be rough and likely in an indent. If the hole is smooth and round or there is corrosion, then this suggests it's been there a while and you've a case for a warranty change.

Statistics - if you take the whole life of a car and divide it into 87 mile sectors, say 1,000 of them, the chances of getting a radiator punctured by a stone is just the same in the first 87 miles, or any other 87 mile sector you choose.

So the fact that it's occurred so early in the car's life cannot be regarded as any more unlikely than later in it's life.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Having just looked at the front of the new Picanto it seems there is a large open area just below the front number plate. If this is covered by a flimsy grille - at most its not going to stop a 50mph stone puncturing your radiator. Is the puncture in this direct area? You could ask the dealer to get Kia's regional rep to have a look and decide if its warranty.

I agree you have been extremely unlucky - but that's motoring for you. I have suffered many punctures from flint on the roads. You just have to grin and bear it.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Grills may not stop high speed debris completely but will often slow it down enough so as not to do any significant damage.

Same concept as body armour !

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Cyd

Perhaps I need to be more succinct:

the decision over whether this is a warranty claim or just hard luck needs to be evidence based.

The evidence is the hole. It needs examining.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - skidpan

The air con in our Ceed SW stopped working in April this year. Booked car into Kia dealer and after inspecting and testing the system they dicovered that the condenser was leaking. Considering that the condenser sits in front of the radiator and is very vulnerable I expected a stone to be blamed and get a big bill. But I was wrong, they replaced it totally free of charge and never mentioned stone damage.

But a visual check should confirm if the damage has been caused by a stone rather than being just a simple leak.

Trouble is not all dealers are equal.

Edited by skidpan on 10/10/2013 at 12:59

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - V4 Heaven

Bad luck with this one I'm afraid and any cynical responses to the contrary are wrong. It's just bad luck and isn't covered by any warranty.

Similar thing happened to a friend with a brand new motorbike. 300 miles in, stone hits radiator, radiator leak. In his case, he visited a local car radiator supply/repair company. They repaired it for £25 and it's done thousands of miles since and was a fraction of the price for a new one.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Snakey

My aircon condensor on my Vectra was pierced by a stone, but as it was mounted in front of the radiator (and also intercooler on mine as it was the turbo version) it seemed to be quite exposed.

I thought that most cars had their radiators in that order i.e from front to back aircon/intercooler/radiator so if does sound like you have just been unlucky.

A bit like getting a puncture one day after picking up your new car and having to buy a new tyre as the nail went into the sidewall - yes, that what happened to me.

The intercooler on mine has it's own space on one side of the grill gap, so the aircon condenser just sits in front of the coolant radiator.

But soon to have a transmission cooler fitted in front of them as the radiator pipe loop isn't enough when towing - that'll need the bumper/grill panel to be completely removed so that's the time to fit fine wire mesh methinks!

Edited by RT on 10/10/2013 at 14:26

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - Tony Swiss

I've just had the same problem - at least that's what the garage tells me (I was sceptical till I read this).

The heater went off, but the temperature did not rise, then suddenly the warning alarm - and the engine was plainly hot. There was still coolant in the system, but the rad is - they tell me - pierced and the head gasket had blown.

I'm not yet sure if they can fix it - but it will be a write off if it's warped.

Madame Swiss says we should not even ask the insurance company for advice, as she's convinced that just making an enquiry will cause them to refuse a claim, but still put up the premium. However, I think this is a bona fide accident, and as we're looking a new car it's well worth the claim.

Any thoughts anyone, please?

Thanks

T

A stone piercing your radiator is as much of an accident as a nail piercing your tyre.

Do you claim off the insurance for a puncture.

Of course not (unless you have tyre insurance)

Claim away, you will get nothing but if it makes you feel better.

Thanks for the friendly reply skidpan. I hope you have a pleasant day too.

All the very best to your and yours

Tony Swiss

Thanks for the friendly reply skidpan. I hope you have a pleasant day too.

All the very best to your and yours

Tony Swiss

If you cannot bear to be told the honest truth don't come on this forum.

Check up with your insurers and see if the cover stone damage to radiators and punctures, you will then find I am correct.

Your insurers WILL NOT cover mechanical repairs, that is different insurance completely.

Edited by skidpan on 13/02/2014 at 13:20

I'm not going to check with my insurers because I am taking your expert advice.

I do not doubt the veracity of this advice, and I thank you kindly for it. I can certainly bear to be told the honest truth, in fact that was exactly why I came to this website.

But I don't know why you think it is acceptable to be rude and patronising to someone who is merely asking a simple question. It gives web forums a bad name and stops people using them.

So perhaps I can add

PLAY NICE

It costs nothing and makes you feel better too.

You have a lovely day, now, 'skidpan.'

TS

So you are happy being told the simple true facts but you consider that the fact I told you the truth was

rude and patronising

There are some strange folk on this forum. They get the answer they want and the critisise the poster for providing it.

I do wonder how such people cope in the real world.

KIA Picanto - Stone pierces radiator - madf

Given that Skidpan's replies were a> accurate and b>polite and the questionners obviously could not be bothered to read the terms of their insurance policies, I see no need at all for any apologies from Skidpan.

And if they think he is rude, they really are appearing to be precious.