Volkswagen Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI 140 - Thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI - onlyme

Hi,

Would be grateful for any advice please.

I've seen and driven a lovely 2008 Volkswagen Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI 140 (mileage 48K) and need to decide by MOnday whether to buy (or lose the opportunity).
I've seen comments onlne re its engine problems and wondered if anyone could point me to more info on this or give any comment on whether these cars are known for their engine problems?

Thank you.

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI 140 - Thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI - elekie&a/c doctor

Turbocharger,supercharger,direct fuel injection on a small 1.4 engine sounds like a recipe for technological overload and disaster;and they are! Blown pistons and broken timing chains all too common.Walk away and find something else.hth

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI 140 - Thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI - craig-pd130

A friend of mine has a 2009 model of this car, it's been a lot of trouble (camchain / variable valve timing gear failure, supercharger problems etc). All fixed under warranty & goodwill as he's owned it from new, but you won't have that level of protection.

As mentioned already, I think you're best avoiding unless you can buy it VERY cheaply and set aside a couple of grand as a contingency fund for repairs.

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI 140 - Thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 GT SPORT TSI - skidpan

Although there have been failures not every car has suffered. Its like the threads that will tell you every BMW suffers timing chain failure and every Nissan Micra suffers timing chain failure and steering column failure. Some do, most don't.

Whatever car you decide to buy could be a money pit, its the luck of the draw. A lot of people only change cars when they are troublesome and most of those cars end up on forecourts. Judge each car individually not on the predjudices of a few forum members.