Focus Conundrum - Pootle

Hi All,

Thought I'd ask for some advice on a car for my better half. She currently has a 2001 Focus 1.8TDDi, which is getting long in the tooth… we're now looking for a replacement. She's going to use it for a daily 30 mile commute (round trip), most of which is in city traffic. 'Occasional' trips to the shops too. She currently puts about 8000 miles per year on her current car. We've got a toddler and hopefully one on the way, so we're thinking with practicality, safety and running costs in mind. Kit/gadgetry's not really a consideration. 5 doors is a must, too. We're looking to hang on to whatever we choose for a while to come (we've had the current car for nearly 8 years).

I looked at HJ's 5* review of the 2008-11 Focus; I like the car (and more importantly so does swmbo), but looking at the reviews, I think my wife's driving would rule out the diesel versions (too many short trips). Unfortunately the car tax is up around the £175-200 mark for the petrols (except the 1.4 Style version of the Focus). To me, the 1.4 sounds like it might feel slightly underpowered also for the size of car? Is the 1.6 a better idea (there're more of them about), easier to live with and grin and bear the car tax?

Am I right to disregard the diesels (my concern centres around the DPF due to short journeys)?

Does anyone have any advice on the petrol Focuses? What kind of miles can you likely expect from a petrol? It looks like diesels are capable of galactic miles, I'm not sure what to expect from petrols. Do the petrol Focuses use regular belts or chain timing belts also?

Also looked at the Fusion (to me this looks like the early-2000s Fiesta), but swmbo likes the slightly raised driving position and the easy-access boot (no boot lip).

We also both liked the Nissan Note (the use of space is fantastic), but my reservation is that there's less metal around you in the event of an accident, it feels tinny in comparison to the Focus.

I also suggested the Nissan Cube, but she saw a photo of one and veto'd that idea :o(

Budget is around 6k.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Focus Conundrum - gordonbennet

Don't get too tied up on VED rates, the only one i'm going to avoid is the top rate of £470 for high emission vehicles, unless i can buy a car so cheap that rate can be taken into account and the cars value written off over say 5 years but i want a proper car with a proper engine for that not something just edging over the threshold.

According to Parkers VED guide a 1.8 Diesel Focus has VED rate of £125, where a 2 litre petrol costs £200.

If you chose a 1.6 Diesel (i wouldn't, read the massive thread here on HJ about turbo failures) then the difference would still only be £100ish a year, and thats not even diagnostics money when Ford Diesels start to give trouble.

Focus Conundrum - Bobbin Threadbare

Don't get too tied up on VED rates, the only one i'm going to avoid is the top rate of £470 for high emission vehicles, unless i can buy a car so cheap that rate can be taken into account and the cars value written off over say 5 years but i want a proper car with a proper engine for that not something just edging over the threshold.

According to Parkers VED guide a 1.8 Diesel Focus has VED rate of £125, where a 2 litre petrol costs £200.

If you chose a 1.6 Diesel (i wouldn't, read the massive thread here on HJ about turbo failures) then the difference would still only be £100ish a year, and thats not even diagnostics money when Ford Diesels start to give trouble.

Exactly. VED is usually one of the smaller costs in motoring, even at £200, when you consider servicing, petrol, insurance, tyres etc.

I had a 1.6 petrol Focus (it was a Mk I and you're looking at the Mk II but still...) and it was just about right. Any less would have been underpowered. Very comfortable and the right size for a family I think.

Focus Conundrum - daveyjp
VED is related to mpg, £175 suggests 30 ish mpg round town, possibly less. My mk 1 1.8 did mid 20s on a regular basis.

For a comparison look at Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30. You may get a newer car for your money and still have some manufacturers warranty.

Fords use belts, change at 100,000 or 10 years.
Focus Conundrum - Collos25

I always thought VED was directly related to CO2 not to mpg.

Focus Conundrum - daveyjp
It is, but CO2 is produced by burning fuel. High CO2=high VED= low mpg.
Focus Conundrum - Avant

If you're concerned about passive safety, have a look at the Volvo S40 / V50: very safe in all respects and they have a lot of Focus parts.

Focus Conundrum - SteveLee

You can get an awful lot of Kia Cee'd for £6K - the Focus is probably a (slightly) better car - but you'll get a two year newer Cee'd for the same money.

Take this one for example: www.cargiant.co.uk/KIA/Any/5_Dr_Hatch/details-6064...0

£6K with four years of warranty left - bargain.

Focus Conundrum - Happy Blue!

The Nissan Note is an excellent car that is very good at transporting a young and growing family. As they have stopped making the current model (a replacement is due soon) there will be some good deals around. They will be no less safe than a Focus of similar age.