Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - loopy lupo

Hi, main dealer says my 2 year old car needs a brake drum service at a cost of £60 isit necessary and worth it ?.

Thanks

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Chris M

How many miles? Are the brakes binding or squealing?

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Collos25

Unlike discs you cannot see the wear on the linings without taking the drum off also the loose debris needs to be removed.

How many miles? Are the brakes binding or squealing?

Only 16,000 miles and brakes are not binding or squealing

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - skidpan

The brake drum service will probably be a garage money making extra over and above the Hyundai scheduled requirements. If this is the case don't waste your money. If its part of Hyundais schedule get it done.

Thanks skidpan I had a feeling that this was an unneccessary earner for the garage

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Chris M

After just 16,000 miles and two years it's unlikely they need touching. Dealer just trying to earn a few more of your hard earned.

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Collos25

I am amazed its not part of the standard service to look at the brakes after all they are an important part of the car.I am afraid if my car was to go into a garage for a service and they said it was extra to look at the brakes I would be looking for a new garage.

Hyundai i10 - Brake Drum service - RT

I am amazed its not part of the standard service to look at the brakes after all they are an important part of the car.I am afraid if my car was to go into a garage for a service and they said it was extra to look at the brakes I would be looking for a new garage.

The standard service for most cars wouldn't include drum removal - just check the adjustment and shoe wear which can be done through the backplate.

All the Vauxhalls I had with drum rear brakes were serviced "by the book" but never had the drums off until new shoes were needed or the automatic handbrake adjuster seized, usually the latter.

Edited by RT on 29/08/2013 at 15:48

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - blindspot

my i 10 has discs at rear.

what are they going to do blow out the dust gresa handbrake . not needed to do this till 40,000 miles me thinks

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - gordonbennet

I stand to be corrected here, but i understand from when i ran a Hilux that Toyotas major/minor services alternate annually, based on 9k miles.

Minor service is oil change and inspection, major service is full brake service transmission fluid changes etc as well including removing the drums if fitted, any brake inspection requires removal of the drums at the very least.

I assume this is a nice little earner for the dealership to remove drums every service incl min oil service/minor.

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Cyd

On most cars, the rear brakes only do about 25% absolute maximum of the braking, and even then only under heavy braking. Under light braking it's likely to be half this.

As a result the wear rate on drum shoes is generally very low. As long as everything is working ok then all that should be required is to pull off the drums and clean off the dust. A little deglazing with medium paper doesn't go amiss either.

I left the rear drums on my Dispatch van untill 73k before giving them a clean. I'd say I left it a little too long, though they had just passed a MoT with flying colours (6% balance!). I'd say 40-50k is a fair interval. The van is half or so loaded all the time too.

Of course, if there is some malfunction then attention may be required sooner. Personally I've only ever changed rear shoes as a result of slave cylinder leakage.

I'd say the dealer is profiteering with un-necessary work at such a low mileage.

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - Ben79

I have a Kia Optima which has brake discs all round, but the handbrake is drum-in-hat type.

At the first service (20k / 1 year) under the high mileage service schedule they removed and cleaned all brake pads, not sure if they removed the rear drum, but definately did adjust the handbrake as part of the service (without being asked to).

On the Citroen I had before the service schedule never said to remove the pads and clean the sliding bits.

Is that how Citroen get lower servicing costs for fleet purposes, or how Kia/Hyundai keep their cars working longer and give better warranties? I think the answer is both.

Going back to the original question, there is no harm in having things done properly and if you are a low mileage driver the brake drum will probably never rid itself of rust and having it inspected/cleaned as part of a service will be good for keeping the car for the long term.

Ben

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - MrDanno

I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to look in the service booklet (if you have one) and see what the recommended interval is for removing the rear drums.

You could ring KIA UK's head office and ask them if it should be included in the service.

My cars manufacturer interval is 37,000miles for removal of the drums and inspection but, It has a rubber bung for inspecting the brake linings at every service.

My cars manufacturer interval is 37,000miles for removal of the drums and inspection but, It has a rubber bung for inspecting the brake linings at every service.

Do you extract mk 1 eyeball from its socket and shove it through that bung hole to inspect the slave cylinder seals inside the dust covers, automatic adjusters and shoe friction surfaces too..;)

Hyudai i10 - Brake Drum service - MrDanno
Do you extract mk 1 eyeball from its socket and shove it through that bung hole to inspect the slave cylinder seals inside the dust covers, automatic adjusters and shoe friction surfaces too..;)

Well, I only stated what the manufacturers say. I didn't say I agree with it. I pull the Drums off at 20,000 and as a matter of course. If they were easy ones to remove with a separate hub, I'd take them off at every service.

As others have said in previous posts, The rears don't do alot these days.

Don't get me wrong Mr Danno, wasn't having a pop at you i do similar to you, just the way things are going these days, was trying to be ironic and failing miserably as usual..;)

I've never liked the modern method of car brake servicing, fitter peers through or from behind a wheel sees some pad material in semi profile in the 1/2" section visible, squirts the caliper with brake cleaner and proudly pronounces the brakes as good, yeah right, same goes for drums, peers through the tiny port hole if you're lucky and pronounces all is well..

My brakes, disc drum whatever get fully stripped every year, everything inspected (you can only fully inspect pads when they are out) and any parts replaced as needed, caliper pistons pumped out and pushed back a few times, pistons and sliders cleaned and lubed and working correctly, all reassembled.

Drums removed, everything checked incl the auto adjuster is free to do its job, peel back dust cover, slide slave pistons both ways to check they are free moving and no leaks, key shoe friction surfaces, clean out drums, light greasing wherever needed, reassemble.

Bleed out system if needed.

How many times do we read about siezed calipers and pulling/snatching/overheating inefficient brakes, how many people keep the outsideof the car and the interior cleaned regularly by the local car wash, and never ever give the important things the slightest thought, people never cease to amaze.