Generic Battery? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I want to give the old battery from my 414Si to a friend with a 1.3 fiesta.

Will it fit in in exactly the same way?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Generic Battery? - M.M
Toad,

Likely these both might be 063's and a straight swap.

You only need to consider overall size for the holder, terminal type (round or flat) and terminal layout.

If it looks like it will fit....then it will.

Still trying to impress the Fiesta girls??

MM
Likely these both might be 063's and a straight swap.
You only need to consider overall size for the holder, terminal
type (round or flat) and terminal layout.

That's what I was worried about. I didn't know if batterys had different sizes.
If it looks like it will fit....then it will.

That's my problem. I'll need to drive it miles to check. I'd rather know in advance.
Still trying to impress the Fiesta girls??

Not now there's a MGF on the horizon!
--
Generic Battery? - No Do$h
Pop into your local Halfords and look in their battery fitting guide. Should give you a reference number for the battery for your car. If this is the same as that for the Fiesta you are fine, but if it's even slightly different, forget it. There are LOADS of different battery types so it's going to be a long shot.

It's not just the physical dimensions and fittings, there are different load ratings as well. Too low and it will die in weeks, if not days (esp. at this time of year). Too high won't pose a problem unless any of the wiring is a bit moody, in which case you may have wires popping before the fuses do.

And no licking the terminals to check it still has a charge.... With your lengthy amphibian appendage you're likely to short it before you can say "poop-Argghh!"

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Generic Battery? - cockle {P}
Too high won't pose a problem unless any of the
wiring is a bit moody, in which case you may have
wires popping before the fuses do.

No Dosh, agree with most of your post but if you have wiring burning out before the fuse pops then you have the wrong rate fuse fitted, or, as I have seen, a sawn off piece of four inch nail!
'Well, I got fed up with the fuse blowing.' Said by a chap standing beside a smouldering Cortina after his self fitted radio/cassette had caught fire.
The ampere/hour rating of a battery is a guide to its potential to deliver current, the actual current delivered is governed by good old Ohms Law, give or take a little allowance for the differing internal resistance of the cells.
As long as the voltage remains the same as before and the resistance of the component remains the same it can only possibly draw the same current,
I(current) = V (voltage) / R (resistance).

That's why, back in the murky past, it was a bit of a mystical science converting vehicles with 6 volt systems to 12 volts. I understand that we may be about to go down that route again as IIRC BMW are now introducing 24 volt systems into their vehicles.

Cockle
Generic Battery? - M.M
You'll have to take a chance on the travel. Some weird battery combinations get fitted over the years. Folks might change the terminals, adapt the holders or squeeze in a much larger one.

But as I said they are quite likely to be the same.

MM
Thanks all!!!
--
I checked last night.

1.3 Fiesta's have square terminals. My spare battery has round. ;-(

--
Generic Battery? - BrianW
"1.3 Fiesta's have square terminals. My spare battery has round. ;-("

IIRC, Ford have always used the square bolt-on terminals.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Generic Battery? - Baskerville
I hope you don't have a similar problem with the MGF ;-)

Generic Battery? - Dynamic Dave
I hope you don't have a similar problem with the MGF
;-)

Are you infering that Toad might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole?

I'll get me coat.
Generic Battery? - John S
Toad

You may find you can by some terminal post clamps for your round battery terminals, and connect to the Ford by clamping the flat blade Ford connector under the clamp screws. Not elegant, but if you're desparate......

Regards

John S