Honda FRV 1.7 petrol 2007 - Honda FRV cambelt - advice please!! - Billjg

Hi,

the cambelt is due on my Honda FRV, 1st change since new. I have spoken to dealership re this and they would just change the belt not the whole kit and water pump, which is obviously cheaper than changing the whole kit and pump. Speaking to my local garage they have advised against this even though Honda say it's only the belt that needs replacing on the 1st change, my local garage disagrees and would change kit plus water pump at a higher cost.

Who is correct??

Thanks, Bill

Honda FRV 1.7 petrol 2007 - Honda FRV cambelt - advice please!! - unthrottled

It's a gamble. Much of the labour in changing a water pump is common to that of changing the timing belt. Therefore it is much cheaper to change the water pump and timing belt in one job than in two separate operations.

However, the water pump could carry on for many years without leaking so you could save yourself a few quid by not changing it.

Are you feeling lucky?

NB. It's worth pointing out that antifreeze is damaging to timing belts so if the pump seal leaks coolant onto the timing belt, you'll need a new belt as well as a water pump.

Honda FRV 1.7 petrol 2007 - Honda FRV cambelt - advice please!! - Cris_on_the_gas

What's the mileage ?

Hondas have a good reputation so would just go for the belt change.

Reason for changing the water pump as I understand is that a failure of this would snap the cambelt and wreck the engine

Honda FRV 1.7 petrol 2007 - Honda FRV cambelt - advice please!! - Billjg

Mileage is 72k.

Speaking to a few Honda dealerships they all say the same, they have found over the years that the tensioners, pump etc just don't wear enough to justify changing them with the first belt change, not sure about the 2nd change though??

Honda FRV 1.7 petrol 2007 - Honda FRV cambelt - advice please!! - unthrottled

If the belt and tensioner are thought to be fine, why bother changing the belt?