Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - upson

What's better? I've never had a diesel engine in 45 years driving. Concerned about DPF reports. Should I now go for diesel or stick to what one hears is a poorer performing petrol version? Graham Upson

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - RT

DPFs are only an issue on diesels when a petrol would have been a better choice for other reasons, ie for low mileage users.

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - Avant

I shall remember that, RT. That's probably the best summing-up, in a single sentence, of the DPF issue about which so much virtual ink has been spilt.

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - brum

DPFs are only an issue on diesels when a petrol would have been a better choice for other reasons, ie for low mileage users.

in other words DPFs are only an issue when they cause problems.....hmm.......

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - upson

Thanks for responses, Still unsure what constitutes low mileage and short journey? I do approx 10,000 miles p.a. in this car and most journeys are between 1 and 20 miles. Does this mean I should opt for the petrol despite poorer acceleration and economy?

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - dieseldogg

or buy the diesel and go for a long run "for free" each weekend using the fuel saved to keep the DPF in good fettle.

Huh!

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - unthrottled

You're not likely to have DPF problems with that sort of use but it's not exactly the use in which diesel really shines.

It's basically a toss-up as to which characteristics you prefer. If you're doing town work, the flexibility of the petrol might be more useful than the midrange grunt of the diesel.

Honda CRV - diesel v petrol - RT

in other words DPFs are only an issue when they cause problems.....hmm.......

No - they aren't a problem when owners are doing enough miles to justify a diesel with or without a DPF.

Some people are buying diesels even when their annual mileage is low and it's these that are much more likely to get DPF problems because they aren't driven long enough or hard enough to do passive regeneration.