Advice on new family car - JB1979

Hi,

I currently own a 04 plate Ford Focus 1.8 Zeetec. I am looking to upgrade, and it will be the family car. I like the 1.8 engine, as i usually do a 5 mile journey to Leeds city centre and back, and it offers good acceleration at the busy roundabouts etc, but i also on a weekend often go up to A1 and M62 and its excellent crusing as well, including the trips on B roads in North Wales.

However, i want to cut back on the tax costs and was looking at the Zeetec 1.6 TDCi and Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi.

I tried the Focus 1.6 TDi and it seemed a bit sluggish compared to the petrol 1.8. The Civic 2.2 looking at the forums seems to be plagued by issues, but the petrol Hondas seem more reliable.

I wondered if anyone had any other good recommendations for a good all rounder family car (me, myself and child). I have a budget of about 7 - 8k, but could push to 9k if the right car was available.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks

Advice on new family car - Avant

A diesel car will usually hold its value better and therefore cost more than a petrol car of the same age and mileage thuis negating savings in running costs. This is why most people reckon that a diesel is worth it only if you do a high annual mileage, say over 15,000 a year.

Also bear in mind that diesels can be liable to go wrong very expensively when they get older.

The Honda Civic has a good petrol engine but make sure you can live with the appalling rear visibility. I certainly couldn't.

There's a strong case for keeping your Focus if it's going well: it's probably worth more to you than it is in the market. But if you see expensive repairs coming up and want something newer, another 1.8 Focus or a 2.0 would do you well. The VW Group 1.8 is a good economical engine, so think about a Golf, or perhaps a Skoda Octabia or Sealt Leon / Altea with that engine.

If you think a diesel is worthwhile the VW Group 1.9 TDI engine is more reliable than most.

Advice on new family car - AngieS

I've owned Vauxhall Astra's (1.6) and have always found them a lovely car to drive, they feel solid and handle very well. Nice and roomy too.

Advice on new family car - JB1979

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I doubt i'll do over 10,000 miles a year - and at least half of that would be the start stop journey to work. So maybe the higher tax is offset by purchasing a petrol car cheaper.

I'd love to keep the engine i have, its just the bodywork/suspension is beginning to fail - and we want to go down to one car, so i want it to be comfortable and clean, and having working electric windows, air con and speakers - all of which have now failed on the focus. I'll maybe ask the local garage to look at whether it would get through the next MOT and if not waht the cost would be.

I'd heard the Astra to be unreliable as an engine, but maybe thats a reputation based on a few comments here and there. I'll do some more digging. Another Focus 1.8 may be a safe option.

Advice on new family car - Ed V

A Focus is relatively large, if it's just for two ('me, myself and child').

A Fiesta size would allow a smaller engine, lower fuel costs, and lower purchase cost too.

My instincts say that petrol Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas give fewest problems after five years. I'm guessing that we'll soon be adding Hyundais to that list too.

Advice on new family car - Bobbin Threadbare

A Focus is relatively large, if it's just for two ('me, myself and child').

A Fiesta size would allow a smaller engine, lower fuel costs, and lower purchase cost too.

My instincts say that petrol Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas give fewest problems after five years. I'm guessing that we'll soon be adding Hyundais to that list too.

Agreed; based on two Mazdas and two Toyotas in my family, all over 5 and no problems at all.