Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - almera1.4GX

With my Almera only turning out 35MPG I need to be hitting late 50's early 60's as I'm going to the pump twice a week and more.

My problem is, I've only £2,000 to spend and want a diesel car preferably Volkswagen, bullet proof and not a money pit.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - RaineMan

Generally I would advise against diesels in this price range as most have done mega mileages and the ;potential for very large bills.

Someone I know has brought a late Peugeot 106 1.5 litre non-turbo diesel. So far it has been reliable and clocks up around 1,000 per week. Economy 60+ mpg. Another friend had an early one for years and this was reliable. If it is not to small I think it is one of the few decent diesels available for little money.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - primeradriver

Old school would be the way to go at this price range. The newer CR diesels can be money pits. Don't be tempted to buy something like a Mondeo diesel as these can be ruinously expensive to maintain as they get older.

One leftfield option would be a Hyundai Elantra. In the latter years these were diesel only; they're generally reliable, don't have the newer high-compression engines with DMFs and DPFs etc, and can often be bought with low miles on an 04 or 05 plate for about £1000.

They are really quite hideous to look at, but that shouldn't put you off at this end of the market.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - gordonbennet

Alternatively if your Almera has another 50k miles in it at least get your present car converted to LPG and enjoy 67 to 73ppl motoring, you'll lose about 20% economy but still be quids in.

Should cost between £1k and £1200 to get your car converted by someone competent, and i don't mean Bodgit and Scarper who do it all in one day.

Check here for filling points near you, cheapest are usually independents but Morrisons currently very good prices...www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

Agree about the Pug 106 Diesel, excellent little car and one of the very cheapest to own and run.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - unthrottled

Pug 306/406. You'll just about scrape a 90 or 110 HDi engine with your budget. Cheap, economical and fairly robust.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - iFocus

One of the best diesel cars I had that was cheap was a Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi.

For £2k, you'll probably get either a very low mileage DTI or a mid mileage later CDTi, they're bombproof engines in my opinion and have Isuzu engineering.

I ran my from 124k to 150k with litterally nothing going wrong with it. I used to get late 50s MPG and on long runs I got up to 70mpg occasionally!

Best thing to do though at any older diesel car is look at condition, and service history and DON'T get hung up on age or mileage too much.

Edited by British Rail Guard on 12/08/2013 at 23:59

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - veloster

best solution,put your £2000 in your wallet and use it at the petrol pump.

Diesel motor for under £2,000 - any chance? - Ordovices

I would second the Elantra advice. I had one for years as my commuter car and got 45 mpg average. Spares readily available, Bosch common rail system and injectors. Only got rid because I inherited a Passat and didn't need two cars.