Is there such a car? - teb

In the market for buying a new (used) car.

I use the car for daily motorway/dual carriageway journeys of around 10 miles each way. Some but not a great deal town driving. Can go for days without even seeing a traffic light. :)

This will be a second family car so I don't want a particularly large car but it does have to be big enough to comfortably fit 4 of us in. Something like a Toyota Aygo would be useless for example.

No preference over petrol or diesel.

I want:

To pay less than £9,000

It to be high miles per gallon so fuel costs are as low as possible, this is quite important. Preferably over 50mpg since the fuel figures listed are always optimistic to say the least. That would give us mid 40's maybe in reality?

Preferably in tax bands A-G

5 door

Fast acceleration

I don't think I can get all of that in one car. So far I can get most of the boxes ticked as long as I don't expect fast acceleration.

So the three most importanti things are car cost, fuel cost, acceleration.

Can anyone suggest something suitable please?

I don't want a Focus purely because we have had 3 of them in the family already and each one has had poor fuel economy.

I was considering a 1.6TDCi Fiesta but saw several owner's reviews that mentioned sluggish performance at low torque and driving with foot flat to floor to try to pick up speed to join motorways. That's exactly what I want to avoid.

Is there such a car? - 659FBE

You can get the parameters you require in a car fitted with the VAG 1.9 PD 130 HP diesel engine - but there are some catches.

My Skoda Superb will comfortably (literally) meet all of your performance requirements, albeit not in a small car. There are other VAG products which use this engine - which is regrettably getting a bit elderly now. Choose your badge and your body as required - for example, some late previous model Octavias were fitted with this engine, but beware, most were rotary pump engines.

The PD engines which followed the 1.9/130 were, in my view, not as good and some were catastrophically unreliable. Some 2.0 PD engines suffered oil pump drive failure, balance shaft drive failure and piezo injector failure - all totally unacceptable. The supplier of these engines has not met my standards of trading integrity when dealing with these failures.

Do your homework very carefully. If you are prepared to accept a degree of compromise in terms of noise and smoothness, a good specimen of the 1.9 PD fitted with Bosch electromagnetically actuated unit injectors will give you unmatched running efficiency and life. This engine is in my "top 5" (I used to test engines for a living).

Avoid any variants with automatic transmission - efficiency and reliability are seriously compromised due to the high torque of this engine. Inline 6 speed transmissions are not exemplary in terms of reliability and are not significantly higher geared than the (more reliable) 5 speed units.

Edited by 659FBE on 11/08/2013 at 15:36

Is there such a car? - Happy Blue!

Last of the original Skoda Fabia vRS' would be good.

Or something left field if you want comfort for four - something short but boxy like a Daihatsu Materia.

Is there such a car? - madf

Prius matches your specification to a T.

Is there such a car? - kithmo

Prius matches your specification to a T.

+1, you can probably get an early Gen 3 Prius (2009) for 9K, Tax band A (£0 VED), 0-62mph 10.9 secs and the instant torque from the electric motor means it goes like a rocket from 0-30 in power mode. It's automatic so no fiddling around with gears and clutch. There's no particulate filter to worry about, as fitted to most modern diesels, no Dual mass flywheel, no clutch, less moving parts in the transmission to go wrong.

Edited by kithmo on 11/08/2013 at 19:33

Is there such a car? - Ed V

For 100 miles a week of easy motoring, I'd pose some questions: why spend £9,000? At relatively small annual milages, the depreciation and purchase cost (and a service) are likely to far outweigh the variable fuel costs (say from 40 to 50 mpg).

For £5,000, you could get a great....well anything really. And spend the £4,000 saved on a motorbike for the summer months.