Oil Change Gadget - Nsar
Knowing how keen HJ is on regular oil and filter changes, I thought I'd mention a gizmo which hand pumps oil out through the dipstick hole. It costs £59.99 from an outfit called www.NorthernToolUK.com or 0800 1692266. I have no connection with this company.
Oil Change Gadget - borasport20
I hate to think what it leaves in the bottom of the sump...

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Oil Change Gadget - nick
I think we've had a similar discussion before. I'd rather get my hands dirty and let out all the rubbish through the proper orifice and keep the dipstick hole for its intended purpose.
Oil Change Gadget - Nsar
Fair comments both, I just thought by making it a no mess, standing up job, it might encourage someone who might otherwise not do it to adopt a DIY, every 6 months regime. At that frequency of change how much goo are you going to have?
Oil Change Gadget - DavidHM
Maybe, but if people are doing it themselves, it's not to save money. That £60 would buy you three years' of oil changes at National Tyre, even if the oil and filter were then free. As they typically cost £12-£15 for the cheap stuff, and National only charges you a tenner, then it's going to have a limited market except with the DIYer who doesn't trust professionals at all. (Or who buys his oil at Asda, £2.76 I think for 5l of 20W50).
Oil Change Gadget - nick
Probably not much goo if it's done a decent mileage in the six months, probably quite a lot if only down to get the paper every day.
It makes it a stand-up job ok, but you end up with a pump and two long bits of tube covered in, and full of, used oil. So not such a clean job after all. But I take your point, if it encourages someone to change the oil more regularly, then it's a good thing.
Oil Change Gadget - frostbite
My favourite oil change gadget is a small but powerful magnet I attach near to the drain plug a couple of days before a change is planned.

Whip it off the sump while the oil is draining, and all the collected swarf gets washed out.
Oil Change Gadget - mal
Your mention of a magnet brings to mind a magnetic drain plug I used many years ago but can not remember on what car motorbike or scooter it could have been.
I remember it being quite effective and having to wipe the sludge off that had been attracted to it.
Anyone else come across one before?.
Mal.
Oil Change Gadget - Beesmart
I think you will find that all the early minis had magnetic drain plugs, and yes they were very effective.
I think you will find all the new Mercedes are going over to the oil change gadget, including the new the smart car.
Oil Change Gadget - mal
Never had a mini so it could have been the 1963 morris 1100 that it was on.

[Morris 1100........subframes..........arrrrrrrrgggggggg].

Mal.
Oil Change Gadget - volvoman
Some great tips here lads. Anyone fancy posting them on the 'trade Secrets' thread so everyone can benefit from your collective genius ?

:-) Volvoman (still smiling, just !)
Oil Change Gadget - nut_magnet
Who\'s idea was it about the magnet.. ..
please when giving out tips like this add some technical info.. ..
\"like just how POWERFUL should that magnet be\"

tinyurl.com/2qvjb

nutty.. ..
Oil Change Gadget "magnet" - Nsar
an 11 month gap between posts on a thread - that has to be a record - somehow I think DD will put us all straight on that one...
Oil Change Gadget - Dynamic Dave
£59.99?? For what basically consists of a couple of rubber hoses and a hand pump!! It's a wonder the company doesn't have a premium rate number that you have to phone, rather than the freephone 0800, then they could rip you off twice!!
Oil Change Gadget - Tom Shaw
The British Motorcycle Industry invented gadgets which drained the oil without any need to undo the sump plug decades ago. They were called gaskets.
Oil Change Gadget - Shigg
Talking of gadgets, a company used to make one for the oil filter, basically it was just a elasticated strap containing several strong rare earth magnets. It was just slipped over the filter after fitting and trapped all the ferrous particles that went by, then after the filter was removed for the next oil change the strap was swapped onto the newly fitted filter. I saw a review in a magazine where they used this strap and cut the oil filter open, according to them it had trapped loads of very fine particles but not so much as to risk blocking the filter. I think it was Practical motoring or something like that. I guess you could make your own using high power magnets from Maplins. Mini's were always bad for the metal in the oil due to the gearbox. I once used some oil flush in my first mini (1968 mk.2), when I drained the oil far too much metal came with it, since then I've always refered to it as bearing flush!

Steve.
Oil Change Gadget - J Bonington Jagworth
Probably an urban myth, but I remember hearing about an oil filter that preserved engines so well that the inventor got bought out. Everlasting matches, I know, but the fact that a simple magnet can catch stuff that the filter misses, suggests that there is room for improvement. I like the idea of ones you can strap on the filter, although the sump plug version has the attraction (ho, ho) that you can see the result...
Oil Change Gadget - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Probably an urban myth, but I remember hearing about an oil
filter that preserved engines so well that the inventor got bought
out. Everlasting matches, I know, but the fact that a simple
magnet can catch stuff that the filter misses, suggests that there
is room for improvement.

My filters seem to be magnetic anyway. Am I wrong?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Oil Change Gadget - No Do$h
I know the drain plug for the transmission on the Auto Rover 400 is magnetic (it looked like a metal hedgehog when I did the first ATF change at 62,000 miles...... which is why I got it so cheap), but strangely the sump plug wasn't.

The filter did seem the have an unusual attraction for screwdrivers (It's all but impossible to get a chainwrench around the filter on the auto so I used the old fashioned way of removing the filter: Stab the thing with a screwdriver and use that for leverage) so I assume they incorporated some magnetic material in the filter.

Bodgit? Me?

No Dosh. *If you can't shift it, use a bigger hammer*
Oil Change Gadget - THe Growler
I always thought the point of draining the lube from underneath was so the crud which had accumulated could be drained out with the old oil.

Oil Change Gadget - A Dent{P}
I used the old fashioned way of removing the filter: Stab the thing with a screwdriver and use that for leverage)
A length of cord might have worked?

*If you can't shift it, use a bigger hammer*

Unwise being a master of the kinetic art form.
Do not use the force, Heathen's damage their tools and ruin the thing to be removed, thus paying twice over and as *No Dosh* you might have sussed that.

This gadget thing, not worth the money but you could use it to suck the pools of dirty oil out of the rocker cover, so the fresh oil becomes less contaminated.

I'd be a bit worried seeing metal debris in my oil/transmission fluids. Magnets will only attract the ferris stuff, i.e. shaft debris, the main bearings are white metal or whatever and the fiter media would retain that wear debris.

My random thoughts for today
Greetings, earthman. Hurry, you don't want to be late.....
I used the old fashioned way of removing the filter: Stab
the thing with a screwdriver and use that for leverage)
A length of cord might have worked?

The way I was feeling at the time I would have used said cord to hang myself. No skin on knuckles.... ouch!
*If you can't shift it, use a bigger hammer*
Unwise being a master of the kinetic art form.
Do not use the force, Heathen's damage their tools and ruin
the thing to be removed, thus paying twice over and as
*No Dosh* you might have sussed that.

This is Basic Mechanical Engineering Rule ii. Rule i. is to start with the biggest hammer you have. Rule iii. is to give you neighbour his broken bigger hammer back only after plying him with spirits laced with antifreeze. Never got to Rule iv, I was in casualty.

No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
Is that you Ford Prefect, at last!.
Grab the towels, the Vogons are coming.

Am I the only one to spot the similarity between John Prescott and the Vogon Captain? The fact that the Vogons were chosen to do the galactic elite's dirty work is too much of a coincidence. Anyone for planetary destruction in the name of a bypass?

*Woosh! Off to the silly thread we go*

Am I the only one to spot the similarity between John
Prescott and the Vogon Captain?

No

The Vogons were in the middle of a roadbuilding programme....
No
The Vogons were in the middle of a roadbuilding programme....
I have to grow old - but I don't have to
grow up

That was just a cover story. As the tale unfolds you discover that they are actually in the pockets of sinister forces (Millbank?) and are simply set on destruction.

Spooky.....

Then again, Two Jags' prose is as appealing as Vogon poetry ;-)

Grab the towels, the Vogons are coming.
Am I the only one to spot the similarity between John
Prescott and the Vogon Captain? The fact that the Vogons
were chosen to do the galactic elite's dirty work is too
much of a coincidence. Anyone for planetary destruction in the
name of a bypass?
*Woosh! Off to the silly thread we go*

If JP were the Vogon captain we could petition him to by pass through the planet that grew duff cam belts, hardly a place of special scientific interest.
Oil Change Gadget - Mark (RLBS)
Well, I just know that either you will be taking this to the Silly Thread or you will miraculously through the use of devasting wit, return from the Vogon Destructor Fleet to motoring in general and oil change gadgets specifically.

Marvin.
Point taken.
Our paranoid android leader.
It's too easy to go off thread here.
Ok,

Serious point, already made by others but worth repeating.

Why drain off oil in this way, probably extremely slowly, leaving all the crud in your engine, sump and filter?

Pointless gadget of the year award. Ought to be in the "innovations" catalogue.

Oil Change Gadget - Nsar
I think we're back to where we started - perhaps this thread should be put out of its misery.
I think we're back to where we started - perhaps this
thread should be put out of its misery.

Yeah, but when we stopped referring to this infernal gadget Mark got tetchy.

Mind you, I didn't so much stray off-topic as leap off it.

Tom! Love that one. My Tiger Cub had a built in oil change facility, i.e. it used 2 pints a week!
Oil Change Gadget - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Tiger CUb?

Wife in Laews father has one in his shed. Can't think of a tactful way to get hold of it as a winter project.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Oil Change Gadget - NormanB
I have followed the on topic part of this thread with interest.

This topic always causes great debate but reveals little in terms of fact (no offense intended).

I also track a Mercedes Forum hosted in the USA which has some real good members, some Tech, some DIY and some well just awesome.

This link will take you to one of the latters websites:

www.pindelski.com/cars/W126/W126_oil_suction/W126_...l

Sorry didn't know how to embed the link.
Great, but who changes the oil without the filter anyway? and is a horizontally mounted messy job in an awkward place. Get the boil suit out not tux.
Oil Change Gadget - J Bonington Jagworth
That's the trouble - it just encourages you to change the oil and leave the filter. That's still better than not doing either, I suppose...
....oh that feeling of hot oil running down your right hand sleeve....
Oil Change Gadget - Altea Ego
And the awe and wonder of how a very thin trickle of oil can bend at right angles in a slight breeze and *every* time hit something you havent covered up to protect it.
Oil Change Gadget - Peter D
I personally would not use such a device and would always remove the plug and let it drain for at least an hour whilst I address other service items and change the filter. A good tip here is to put a slip knot in a piece of string and when the plug is half way out lasso the plug and continue to undo the plug, then if you drop the plug in the drain container you don’t have to search around for it just pull it out. This helps avoid the hot oil running down the arm syndrome. Regards Peter
Oil Change Gadget - daveyjp
Unfortunately smart owners have no option than this. No sump plug fitted so a pump it is, but pumps can be bought for a lot less than the figure first mentioned from marine suppliers (boat engines have to have oil sucked out). Never known anyone have a problem as a result of removing the oil this way.
Oil Change Gadget - Mapmaker
www.fumotovalve.com/

I have no connection with this company and have no idea if it works, but they will sell you a sump plug with a valve on it, so to drain the oil you just open the valve.
Oil Change Gadget - Cliff Pope
There is a traditional way of converting any drain plug that takes a washer into a valve. Just make a saw cut across the threads. Then when you release the plug a couple of turns the oil drains out down the cut.
Oil Change Gadget - NitroBurner
Crud? Goo? Swarf?

Is everyone driving cars from the 60s?
Oil Change Gadget - madf
Precisely Nitro.. changed wife's Peugeot 106 diesel oil every year for past 10 years and cleaned sump plug. No metallic residues.. (and warm oil) no lumps..

But that is with regular maintenance.. I suspect that unless you aim suction point at lowest point in sump (tilted?) then you will get gunge forming at bottom.

Oil on hands? ever hear of rubber or surgical gloves. About £1.50 for 10 from any supermarket or £1.80 for big thick rubber gloves. Would not want to get more oil on my hands than absolutely essential...

madf

Doesn't matter how careful you are, you'll get oil on your hands, up your sleeves, in your face with an Audi 100 (A6 shape). Filthy job. Compare to MB W123 which I would happily do in my suit - easily accessible plug; cartridge filter that sits on top of engine, open top, take out old one (no oil worth speaking of) drop in new one - no faffing with bicycle chain attachments etc.

As for draining the radiator on that Audi, easier with the engine out! Why cannot all cars be made like an MB?

Oil Change Gadget - Sooty Tailpipes
Well, I've just ordered one of these lil devils off ebay, so can't wait to get sucking!
Hopefully I can do my transmission oil (fill hole only - no drain plug)
Oil Change Gadget - Aprilia

As for draining the radiator on that Audi, easier with the
engine out! Why cannot all cars be made like an
MB?

Eh? You haven't worked on a recent MB have you? Things have changed a bit from the W123.

One of the easiest cars ever to service was the old Datsun Sunny 120Y sold in the early 1970's.
I was working in the trade with my dad then. I remember the first one we had in to work on (around 1974, I think). We just couldn't believe how well laid out everything was, pipes and wires neatly clipped out of the way, absolutely beautiful. Everything came apart and went together without any trouble - very different to the British cars of the time!
read the luddite thread.... :)

Wouldn't even know how to get the bonnet open (hang on, aren't they designing them without bonnets that open?)

The 123 must be the pinnacle of automotive engineering. [waxes lyrical and begins to ramble & repeat himself]
Oil Change Gadget - Cliff Pope
Crud? Goo? Swarf?
Is everyone driving cars from the 60s?

Yes - 1963 Triumph 2000. No crud, no goo, no swarf. Just somewhat dirty oil, changed every 3000 miles for the last 40 years.
Also a horizontal drain plug, so the oil doesn't run up my sleeve.