BMW V MB v Rover - 3500S
I'm looking to get shot of my car in a few months time.

I'm looking for a saloon only with a bit of presence.

So far I've looked at...

Mercedes C200 (98 V)
BMW 523 (99 W)
Rover 75 Club 2.5 (00 X)

I've got about £10,000 with maybe a couple of grand more if needs must. Ideally it should not be more than 4 years old and 60,000 miles. I know these cars aren't cheap to run but something of this ilk wouldn't be too bad on the pocket.

I only do about 11,000m/yr so a two year old, 40,000 miler wouldn't be so bad as I'm planning to keep it for at least four years.

Would the auctions be a good bet for me maybe?

Could you think of any others worth considering ?

Thanks.
BMW V MB v Rover - Nsar
SAAB 9-5? I drove one for three fairly painless years apart from one electrical nasty which had it in dock for 3 days, putting 85,000 on it along the way. I'm currently driving a Rover 75 1.8 which IMO much less a car - build quality a bit iffy, heavy on fuel and I noticed a line of rust forming on the inside boot lip (this is an 05/00 car) but most of all the SAAB, whilst no rocket ship was more involving and has more presence (hard to define, but we all know when it is and isn't there). It's also a safer, roomier car with an enormous boot with fold down rear seats which I miss in the Rover. The SAAB also doesn't have the world's stupidest central locking mechanism which the Rover does. And the dealers are pretty good too.
BMW V MB v Rover - 3500S
I did rule out the Saab 9-5 on the fact it has a poor warranty record and also the underpinning are less than inspiring.

I think I might include the Passat as well but after talking to my neighbour he's had trouble with his.

I like the 75 because of the cab and it's apparently cheaper to run that my 623 I have right now. The 5-series is due a replacement as well which will hit the price of the older one next year.

It's a tough one to decide.
BMW V MB v Rover - Nsar
The 75 cab is pretty decent - if a classic English feel is your thing, have you considered a Jag? Worth a look on the Auto Trader search facility to see what comes up as a private sale in your budget. You'll be paying for bags of presence through depreciation though.
BMW V MB v Rover - Mike H
I have a 9-5 which has now done 99000. I've covered 26k in sixteen months. No problems, hasn't missed a beat, nothing needed at last service. You can fix the underpinnings for £600 (Trent Saab or Abbott Racing). It is comfortable, fast enough (especially the more powerful versions, or the 2.0 with the performance chip).

It's not clear whether you've actually driven one from your comments - confess!!
BMW V MB v Rover - Alfafan {P}
There's a Mazda Xedos 9 with Miller engine on Autotrader. 2000 X reg, about £12k. Take a look on HJ's cbc breakdown. Looks an excellent car.
BMW V MB v Rover - Maz
Very rare too, the Xedos 9. Car magazine says Mazda sell about 1 a year over here.

I also believe that 9 is as high as Mazda go.
BMW V MB v Rover - sorrera
Does the Audi a6 or Volvo s60 float your boat? they seem to want to compare with the 5 series. Alfa 166 is stylish but niggles might be a problem.

At first glance the 5 series prices on this web site look reasonable www.theinternetcarshowroom.com/index2.htm. No association/ have not used.

5 series does get very good reviews, ability to float on the motorway and be involving on the a/b stuff seems to be main attributes.
530D looks like a stormer with economy whilst the 530 or 528 have plenty of petrol power.
IIRC the Rover uses a BMW diesel engine in a state of detune

BMW V MB v Rover - 3500S
Thanks, I'd certainly consider the S60. An acquaitance (friend of a friend has a 146 T-Spark, nothing but aggro apparently but I'll have a look at the 166.

Cheers.

BMW V MB v Rover - Marcos{P}
I wish you had posted this last month as I've just sold my immaculate 60,000mls 2000 W reg Mercedes C240 Sport to a friend for £2000 less than I wanted because I had virtually no interest as everyone kept saying it was to high mileage. Utter rubbish as my old C220 did 120,000 mls with no problems at all in 4 years.

Never mind

BMW V MB v Rover - No Do$h
How about an Omega? Loads of storming deals to be had right now. All those police forces can't be wrong.

N D
BMW V MB v Rover - GS
I assume from your signature that you have a fondness for the 1971-76 3500S? I owned a 3500 auto and then an SD1 3500 manual so I think I know the sort of car you require. I have owned 5 and 6 cylinder Audis for 17 years and have found them to be a fine, modern substitute for V8 Rovers. How about a A4/A6 V6? Alternatively a Volvo S60 is just as good provided you go for the 200 bhp 2.4T. Also try a M/B C240 or how about an XJ8 3.2?

Can't wait for the MG/Rover 75 V8 though!
BMW V MB v Rover - Crombster
I recommend the S60, although you would be struggling to find one for around £10k, the GTC have a 2.4t 80k miler going for just under £11k though.

I looked at the alternatives only last month before deciding on the Volvo, haven't looked back!
BMW V MB v Rover - 3500S
I do own a 1972 Rover 3500S and I'd love to drive that around all the time but the 20mpg and it's need for doped unleaded would soon lead to empty pockets. Spares are plentiful still, it's funny how the engine side plate of a 1997 Range Rover V8 will fit at 1972 Rover P6.

The firm has a Jaguar S-type as a pool car and whilst it's a lovely car, the engine is a bit of a growler, not as smooth as other 3-litres. It's seen a fair bit of action and trim doesn't seem so durable either. I think an XJ8 is too much loot for me, lovely car though.

I have ruled out the C-class after reading the car-by-car breakdown, it just seems too much of a risk and certainly at the upper limits of what I can afford.

The shortlist now includes

Audi A6/A4
Volvo S60
Rover 75
BMW 5-series.

Thanks for all the contributions.

Regarding the new MG V8, they've been spotted on the roads in the Warwickshire area, the only telltale sign from a ZT is the sound of the engine. At £40,000 though, it's wishful thinking.
BMW V MB v Rover - Guru1
I'd stick with the BMW 523 if I were you.
In my opinion, it's in a different class to the other two,
and I speak from experience having driven all three cars.
No comparison. Someone mentioned a SAAB 9-5.
I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as a BMW 523.
If you want extra proof - ask WHAT CAR magazine - they
will tell you that the 5 series won their best exec award
for 7 consecutive year running!
Happy motoring.