Volkswagen Golf - Power failure - expat

Apparently Volkswagen Golfs have been having power failures and one woman has been killed as a result.

www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-02/coroner-vw-volkswag...0

This has hit the evening TV news in Australia and has affected sales of Golfs. There has been much criticism of the way VW has handled this problem.

Volkswagen Golf - Power failure - idle_chatterer

This is old news (from May IIRC), sparked a media campaign for unrelated DSG problems resulting in a recall. This poor woman's car was a manual - a fact missed by much of the media.

I have an Australian DSG Golf so am naturally interested in all of this, I'm not an apologist for VW but the media witch hunt against VW from certain outlets has not appeared very balanced from my perspective.

Be interesting whether VW is eventually found at fault (they haven't been yet, I note the title of this thread imples they have been) - I understand that the ECU in this case doesn't show any fault.

Driving standards here are not as high as in the UK IMHO, tailgating is rife, trucks drive in any lane, using your smartphone at the wheel commonplace. Many cars drive with bulbs out. The only thing enforced is the speed limit so you end up with multiple lanes all travelling at exactly 100Kmh with people zipping in and out and undertaking.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 02/08/2013 at 03:24

Volkswagen Golf - Power failure - idle_chatterer

An update, the coroner concluded that there was no evidence to suggest systematic failure in the unfortunate driver's manual Golf (a MKV GTi I understand). Suggesting that the likely cause was the use of a mobile phone albeit hands free.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/19840330/coroner-rules-out-systemic-safety-issues-with-the-volkswagen-golf-in/