Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - scarpettak
Looking for bit of advice on following, thanks in advance. Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 petrol turbo model, 2010 model (this was purchased from dealer in may 2011 - demonstrator model 5k miles on clock)

19/7 AA called due to yellow car/spanner, code 4 and warning chimes going off, lack of power as driving down motorway. AA towed to nearest garage an initial inspection appeared to show cylinder head fault. Car left in this garage for them to carry out repair.

22/7 t/c from garage to advise still think cylinder head and going to send part to be investigated further. T/c to my local garage (not dealer) for advice - car was towed to my hometown for investigative work to be completed by my local garage.

Local checked out car and discovered that turbo was in numerous parts after shattering? They did some investigation work and it was discovered that Vauxhall had issued a silent recall on a pipe connecting to turbo - this caused my initial problems.

Contacted my dealer who agreed that my car was part of the recall - issued Feb 2012 and in place until 2015 and that part was to be replaced - I advised that car had not been driven for over 2 weeks and had been towed twice in this period.

Dealer are now disputing the damage caused to my turbo and I think they will rescind on paying for repair as Vauxhall have requested my service history - 1st year dealer, 2nd year independent - 3rd year not completed as was booked in for today (after our return from holiday) and in no condition to be carried out. My own garage have advised that I could have got my car serviced every week and it wouldn't have picked up the fault with the turbo.

Looking or some advice on what to do in the event that dealer is going to request payment etc - am I entitled to any form of recourse under sale of goods act (car bought 25 months ago)

Thanks in advance for reading lengthy post, sorry.
Can anyone help ... Have received email from dealer via manufacturer stating that because i never had a 3 year service its my fault the oil clogged the tube, resulting in turbo failure. Put me down if I'm wrong but for a service being slightly over 2 months out of date and damage done surely i have some recourse here??
Thanks
Scarpetta
Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - skidpan
Put me down if I'm wrong but for a service being slightly over 2 months out of date and damage done surely i have some recourse here?? Thanks Scarpetta

All manufacturers warranties stipulate the service intervals and also the amount of time and miles you can go over without affecting the warranty.

None allow 2 months thus they are right to invalidate your warranty.

Warranties work both ways, you have to comply with the T & C's to get the benefits, you have failed to do so.

Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - pd

A "silent" recall is where a franchised dealer replaces some part or other when cars come in for a service. It is not a "general" recall where all cars are recalled.

If it didn't go in to a Vauxhall dealer after said recall was issued then, obviously, it wouldn't have been done.

If you were going to claim under a Vauxhall warranty you should have taken it to a Vauxhall dealer in the first place - involving any 3rd party only complicates matters.

A normal condition of a 3 year warranty is that services are done on time. If it wasn't then they are within their rights to refuse any payment. They might make a contribution as goodwill but if they stick firm and say no then I can't see what you can do. Was it overdue for mileage as well as time?

I think any recourse under SoGA 25 months after purchase when the car was overdue for a service is a non-starter.

Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK rule of thumb is a month or a 1000 miles over, and no flexibility!

Hi

This is not about warranty - my car was 6 months old when I bought it (ex demonstrator model) as far as I was aware no warranty - however after reading up it appears there was warranty remaining for 2 years.

My gripe is the fact that due to an inferior part (which had been recalled in feb 2013) the damage was caused to my car and no amount of servicing would have resolved this - this would only have been rectified if vauxhall garage had been used and as far as im aware any garage can carry out a service (yes my service was approx 5 weeks out of date by time incident occurred but how many cars are not serviced yearly without problems such as mine - if I had been notified of part failure in February when first identified I would not be in my current position - Feb to May is longer than May to July, with more scope for damage). My car has less than 26k miles on the clock, slightly over 3 years and I should not expect to shell out vast amount to remedy a fault caused by inferior parts regardless of a service being a few weeks out of date!

Kind regards
Scarpetta

Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - pd

One of the advantages of main dealer servicing is that the main dealer has access to the latest technical bulletins, updates, manufacturer training etc. That is what you pay £100+ an hour for. 9/10 you can go to your local garage who doesn't have any of this but charges a lot less and get away with it.

Unfortunately, in this case, it was a false economy. As cruel as it sounds there is an element of you pays your money and takes your choice here.

Still worth pushing for goodwill but if Vauxhall ultimately say no I can't see you've got much case.

Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - thunderbird

"my car was 6 months old when I bought it (ex demonstrator model) as far as I was aware no warranty - however after reading up it appears there was warranty remaining for 2 years."

Are you real, what planet have you been on for the past few years. All new cars have a minimum 3 year warranty these days which is automatically tranferred to the new owner.

So by my basic maths your car was 6 months old therefore had 2 1/2 years remaining, provided it was serviced in accordance with Vauxhalls schedule, which it was not.

Was the service carried out by the independant done exactly to Vauxhalls requirements using genuime OEM quality parts and specified lubricants. If you cannot provide an invoice proving this your warranty would have been voided, its the rules that all makes have to abide by.

Sorry mate but you are stuffed.

Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - skidpan

Owners who use independants for their servicing can still ring up the dealers to check if any updates are required on their car, all you need to give them is theVIN and sometimes reg number,done it in the past myself.

Dealers are happy to carry out any updates since the manufacturer pays them.

No excuse for not getting them done, ignorance is no defence.

Thanks very much for your responses - ill mull these over.

The joys of being a female unfortunately (sorry ladies for letting the side down) ill obviously know now to be more aware in the future. I've learned my lesson by buying a car classed as "second hand" and wish I'd bought new as previously done.

I have sought some legal advice and been in touch with the dealers customer care team, just waiting for feedback regards this.

ps my independent dealer used genuine vauxhall parts when carrying out my service ie oil - so no inferior parts (as previously suggested by dealer) were used.

Thanks scarpetta :-)
Vauxhall meriva b (2010 model) - Turbo problems / recall - Falkirk Bairn

>> so no inferior parts (as previously suggested by dealer) were used.

2 months late with a service is a "get ot of jail card" for Vauxhall - conditions of warranty were not adhered to!

Most Servicing regimes are normally 1 x service after XX,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is first.

Leeway is <1,000 excess miles or up to 1 month more than a year.

2 months late.....your fault, no warranty repair!