A.N. Other Forum - Ben 10

Sad to see ***4**** gradually grinding to a forum for a select few. So many that joined initially have bitten the dust. Maybe they should have a leavers header and the reasons why. This site goes from strength to strength with a wider range of opinions and no real badgering or bullying. A breathe of fresh air and great moderation make this a stronger more appreciated forum along with the helpful HJ bits alongside.

And I know there are watchers on both sites who feel free to contribute to both, but I know where I feel more comfortable.

A.N. Other Forum - FP

Oh dear. Another post (after a welcome extended break) comparing the Back Room with the other place, to the detriment of the latter. Does Ben have any evidence for the numbers that have allegedly "bitten the dust"?

And I must say the statements "This site goes from strength to strength... A breathe (sic) of fresh air and great moderation..." seem just a little saccharine to me, with the greatest of respect to Avant.

"...A stronger more appreciated forum..." just sounds like empty advertising.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to be associated with both places.

Really, what is the point of Ben's post?

Edited by FP on 31/07/2013 at 17:33

A.N. Other Forum - Ben 10

Errh......general discussion. Freedom of speech?

A.N. Other Forum - Avant

Like both of you, I post on that other forum as well as this one, and I have always supported peaceful co-existence between them. This one continues to fulfil its original purpose of providing advice and discussion mainly on things motoring, linked to the wealth of informrtion on this site. C4P is more of a chatroom, and that's fine: some people have come back here and are of course very welcome.

Thanks for the kind words Ben, and I hope you continue to feel comfortable here. This 'general discussion' section works as a chatroom fof those who like it.

A.N. Other Forum - Armitage Shanks {p}

One or two opinionated bully-boys ever there!

A.N. Other Forum - Chris M

I regularly visit the other site, but don't post. To me it appears a very small club where the chat is mostly around non motoring topics. There are one or two who write excellent posts and one wimp who is always worth reading.

Everyone to their own. The Internet is big enough for both sites to flourish.

A.N. Other Forum - tony g
Hi all,
Excuse my ignorance ,which forum are we talking about ?

A couple of years ago, this site was having some technical issues and went done for a while. Some members left and, I think with the help of the old web host (?) set up a 'rival' site. I doubt HJ would wish us to advertise the site so you will have to make do with the clues already provided, namely C4P and ***4****. Have a think what the C could stand for on a motoring website and then play around with four letters for the second bit.

A.N. Other Forum - FP

"A couple of years ago..."

Actually, rather more than three years ago. The events alluded to date from February 2010.

I am loath to get involved in anything controversial. If anyone really wants to know what this is all about I suggest you e-mail one of the moderators here (moderators@honestjohn.co.uk) and ask to be put in contact with me. Probably no-one will bother, but I'm making the offer anyway.

Time flies! Whether it's couple of years, more than three years or 1258 days, it doesn't make any difference. There were a group of contributors who didn't like it here and left. They set up home and a number of them are still happily together, chating about the things that interest them, a lot of which, isn't motoring related.

Thanks for the offer of an explaination FP, but personally, I'm not bothered. The past is the past, let both sites carry on doing what they do best. I plan to continue looking in on both, but I doubt I'll be posting on the other one.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

so you will have to make do with the clues already provided, namely C4P and ***4****. Have a think what the C could stand for on a motoring website and then play around with four letters for the second bit.

Nicely done. :)

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I regularly visit the other site, but don't post. To me it appears a very small club where the chat is mostly around non motoring topics. There are one or two who write excellent posts and one wimp who is always worth reading.

I can think of one person whose posts are almost like a daily blog: "Today after waking, I stumbled out of bed, feeling decidedly below my usual standards of physiological perfection........." And other such self absorbed tedium.

(Sorry Leif - there was a complaint about the bit I've deleted. I think the above is enough to make your point.

Edited by Avant on 04/08/2013 at 20:47

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

One or two opinionated bully-boys ever there!

I agree with you. I have posted a few times on the other site, but some of the aggressive responses alienated me. And it is rather like a gentlemen's club. I think this site is more focussed on car related issues, the other site is more like an online social club for a small number of lonely people. Fair enough, nowt wrong with that.

A.N. Other Forum - Dutchie

We can all be opiniated some times that is having a opinion.There are good people on the other side and good people on this side.I is easy to be a bully boy with the written word.No comeback..>:)nowt wrong with that and out for nowt.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

We can all be opiniated some times that is having a opinion.There are good people on the other side and good people on this side.I is easy to be a bully boy with the written word.No comeback..>:)nowt wrong with that and out for nowt.

Expressing an opinion, being opinionated and being an opinionated bully boy are quite 3 different things.

That is live Leif.The world is full of bully boys and women the way of the world.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

That is live Leif.The world is full of bully boys and women the way of the world.

I think you meant to say "That is life".

It is not the way of the world. Not at all. In my experience the number of bully boys (and girls) varies greatly between companies, forums, societies and cities. It depends on whether or not people tolerate it. As an example, I have worked in companies where bullying is rare, and I can think of one very well known company where the directors enjoyed verbally abusing junior staff members as it gave them a power kick.

Clearly our experiences differ, but for me the other place has a small number of bully boys, one or two of which sometimes post here.

People often behave in forums in a way in which they would not in real life, no doubt due to the protection of anonymity. This forum has stronger moderation, sometimes a bit too prissy, but overall better than weak moderation.

Anyway, the dark siders seem happy, so all's well that ends well.

A.N. Other Forum - bathtub tom

Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself on someone whose first language is obviously not English?

Anyway it's good to see a certain self-opinionated James isn't around.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself on someone whose first language is obviously not English?

Quite how I am supposed to know that his/her first language is not English is beyond me. Secondly, what was written did not make sense, hence my polite comment. Quite how you can see that as bullying is beyond me. Are you always so aggressive?

Anyway it's good to see a certain self-opinionated James isn't around.

It is ironic that you comment on this thread, as you are one of the bully boys on the other forum. Your posts are often quite rude and aggressive, and are one of the main reasons I avoid that forum. I don't care for your obnoxious manner. I noticed a recent post from you on this forum having a go at someone. I suspect they will not be back.

As for Jamie (I think that is who you mean, or is that bullying?), he is not a bully.

A.N. Other Forum - alastairq

I wish I could find someone to bully me?

Reluctantly, over the years, there have been 'no takers'....

With regards to 'correction?'

I fond this particular forum software blocks out my spell checkers..and my fingers have minds of their own when it comes to using a keyboard.

Bullying really only works if the recipient wishes it to.

And forums still retain some elements of anonimity which folk can hide behind.

Still cannot work out which forum this 'other place' is?

Maybe it's one I used to contribute to years ago...but got too full of boy racers?

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I wish I could find someone to bully me?

Reluctantly, over the years, there have been 'no takers'....

Bullying really only works if the recipient wishes it to.

I'm not sure I understand that. Can you explain, as I am curious. Perhaps you are referring to online only, but in a company bullying is often about abuse of power. And online bullying can lead to people killing themselves as you know from recent news. (And obviously the bullying referred to elsewhere on this thread is very minor in comparison to that which leads a child to end their life.)

A.N. Other Forum - FP

I have no doubt Avant will wonder why on earth Leif is using this forum to criticise a member about his behaviour on another forum.

Though there sometimes seems to be an incestuous relationship between the two forums, this is surely taking things too far.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I have no doubt Avant will wonder why on earth Leif is using this forum to criticise a member about his behaviour on another forum.

I only did so in response to an abrasive post from that person on this forum in which he said I was bullying Dutchie. If asking someone what they meant to say is bullying, then I'm a Dutchman, so to speak.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

Though there sometimes seems to be an incestuous relationship between the two forums, this is surely taking things too far.

It did occur to me that your response to me is a little curious in that you pull me up, but you ignored the original post by BT in which he has a snipe at another forum member i.e. 'James'.

A.N. Other Forum - FP

'Are you always so aggressive?'

I can't see why BT's comment is aggressive, but obviously it hit a nerve with Leif.

'I noticed a recent post from you on this forum having a go at someone. I suspect they will not be back.'

I don't know which post is alluded to here, but I have not thought of any of BT's posts as aggressive, or as "having a go at someone".

I can't see why people get riled about insignificant, flippant or even blunt remarks, and start to ramp up the rhetoric; we know where it will end.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I can't see why BT's comment is aggressive, but obviously it hit a nerve with Leif.

I use the 'would you talk like that to an acquaintance such as a neighbour' test to judge the impact of what I write. The post from BT did not hit a nerve, but it is confrontational.

A.N. Other Forum - Bromptonaut

Quite how I am supposed to know that his/her first language is not English is beyond me. Secondly, what was written did not make sense, hence my polite comment. Quite how you can see that as bullying is beyond me. Are you always so aggressive?

There is an element of surprise, at least on my part, that having frequented both this place and the other over several years, you'd not twigged Dutchie's background.

I've seen the odd bit of bullying 'over the way' mostly aimed at those contributors who use their 'friends' on line as an Agony Aunt or sounding board for what seem real personal problems and anxieties. One user was suspended for gross abuse in such circs. While the 'handle' used at the time has gone it's pretty likley he's simply posting under another alias.

Others are sometimes over assertive and always want the last word.

Offer them Zero encouragement!!

A.N. Other Forum - Leif
Offer them Zero encouragement!!

That made me laugh out loud!

Regarding Dutchie, there are a lot of people whose names I recognise, many are Brits overseas, and there are a lot of people I have not interacted with. And it is a long time since I have spent much time on either forum, apart from some conversations with Jamie. So with apologies to Dutchie, I cannot ascribe any traits to him/her. Unfortunately it took me a while to realise what he/she was saying due to the minor typo and my slowness. We all make typos, or at least I do.

Iam a he Leif have been since birth.>:) Deep down Zero is ok no mug.

I have to apologise for my spelling mistakes I should know better.Bathub Tom Zero and a few more on the other forum are caracters they don't take prisonersThere is something about you Leif which is unpleasant but you have to live with that.Sorry.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I have to apologise for my spelling mistakes I should know better.Bathub Tom Zero and a few more on the other forum are caracters they don't take prisonersThere is something about you Leif which is unpleasant but you have to live with that.Sorry.

There is no need to apologise for typos, we all make them, and I only 'corrected' you since it took me a while to realise what you were saying. I find with age that it is harder and harder to spell correctly, I now make too many smelling pistakes.

And since you are grossly rude to me, at least do me the justice of explaining on what basis you insult me. What is it that I have said that makes you say that? I see no reason to respond in kind. Contrary to what others expect, I know nothing about you, and I do not recall your earlier posts. That is not my attempt at being rude, my memory is not good.

Someone might see themselves as a character, or direct and honest, and perhaps others see them as rude. I post on several other forums (I do a lot of DIY, furniture restoration and recording of fungi) and I do not come across the sort of abrasiveness I see on C4P. I also do not recall someone telling me I am unpleasant.

I find it odd that no-one has commented that BT accused my of bullying and was very rude about 'James', whereas people have commented on my response to his post. Clearly double standards, from his chums I assume.

A.N. Other Forum - FP

I think you are making a meal out of this. Here's why:

"I find it odd that no-one has commented that BT accused my of bullying and was very rude about 'James', whereas people have commented on my response to his post. Clearly double standards, from his chums I assume."

You are alluding to the following from BT, I assume:

"Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself on someone whose first language is obviously not English?

Anyway it's good to see a certain self-opinionated James isn't around."

The words "Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself..." are not a direct accusation, and in part hinge on the suggestion that you yourself were guilty of double standards. It's a bit much to get huffy about that.

As for the comment about a certain "James", those of us who read this forum know how much grief he has caused other posters and moderators. Hardly a controversial comment.

You mention BT's "chums", possibly meaning to include me as one of them. I've never met BT and don't pay any more attention to what he posts than to anyone else. Being chums doesn't come into it.

Your comment about Dutchie is another example of over-reaction. You accuse him of being "grossly rude". What he said was that he finds there is something unpleasant about you, nothing more.

Let's keep things in proportion.

A.N. Other Forum - Leif

I think you are making a meal out of this. Here's why:

"I find it odd that no-one has commented that BT accused my of bullying and was very rude about 'James', whereas people have commented on my response to his post. Clearly double standards, from his chums I assume."

You are alluding to the following from BT, I assume:

"Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself on someone whose first language is obviously not English?

Anyway it's good to see a certain self-opinionated James isn't around."

The words "Oh come on, isn't that using 'bully boy' tactics yourself..." are not a direct accusation, and in part hinge on the suggestion that you yourself were guilty of double standards. It's a bit much to get huffy about that.

I think the comment I made to Dutchie was rather innocuous. The response from BT is making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for the comment about a certain "James", those of us who read this forum know how much grief he has caused other posters and moderators. Hardly a controversial comment.

I think that is a rather partisan statement. BT's post was in his typical bull in a china shop style, which is typical of some 'characters' on C4P. Some people see that as being a 'character', a cheeky chappie, honest and direct. Some see it as boorish. I am in the latter camp.

You mention BT's "chums", possibly meaning to include me as one of them. I've never met BT and don't pay any more attention to what he posts than to anyone else. Being chums doesn't come into it.

Your comment about Dutchie is another example of over-reaction. You accuse him of being "grossly rude". What he said was that he finds there is something unpleasant about you, nothing more.

I think that is grossly rude. It is a personal insult. But rather than respond in kind - I know nothing about the chap - I asked for an explanation of why he thinks that. hardly an overreaction.

Let's keep things in proportion.

I think you should tell that to BT.

A.N. Other Forum - Avant

Whatever usefulness this thread may have had, it has outlived it. Closed.