Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - libdom

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago my oil light kept coming on when I braked hard. I checked the oil and it was very low, none there. I topped it up. Then before a big journey I checked it again and it was very low again, topped up.

On motorway journey after 100 miles steam was coming from the engine. We pulled into services and popped bonnet, cap had came off the coolant and that's where the steam was coming from. We couldn't find the cap so started off again after topping up with water and replacing with a temporary cap. The engine soon completely stopped and we had to pull over.

A recovery truck came and the guy topped up the coolant and bled through using the pipe in front of the engine. He found the cap for the coolant also. He got the engine working again and we carried on the journey. I did 150 miles then checked coolant and topped up again. Another 200 miles after that coolant level is unchanged, but there appears to be residual oil in the coolant.

The roadside breakdown guy jumped out with the "it's the head gasket", but I think this is mainly because everyone knows Rovers are notorious for head gasket failure. Before Christmas 2012 I had the head gasket done, so surely it can't be that again already. Also, I carried on journey and have done 300 miles with only having to top the coolant up.

Does anyone know what this is likely to be and whether I should take it back to my garrage that did the head gasket last time?

Thanks in advance

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - unthrottled

Head gaskets aren't wear components. Under normal operating conditions, they should last the lifetime of the vehicle. But if you overheat the cylinder head, a correctly fitted head gasket can blow in a few minutes.

With engines equipped with wet liners, oil starvation isn't exactly helping the gasket sealing either.

You won't have any comeback from the garage that did the head gasket last year. Best bet is to hope that the engine will limp on for a few more miles with just oil top ups.

So you think it is completely screwed? I don't mean I expect the garage to do it for free I am taking it back to them as they are the garage that I use. I just don't understand what has happened and whether I should bother with a repair or not?

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - Collos25

You have to decide wether the repair is going to cost more than the car is worth most head gasget failures on these engines are caused by overheating due to water leakage faulty "O" rings being the big culprit.

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - Andrew-T

You have to decide whether the repair is going to cost more than the car is worth

I'm tired of hearing this mantra, as if it is the only criterion to decide whether to do a repair. A car is worth (a) what an interested buyer will pay, or (b) what its owner is willing to part with it for. For an older car in decent nick (a) may be much less than (b). The real criterion is how much it will cost to replace it with another - which will have problems of its own.

You see, I just don't have the money to buy a used car at the moment. I am happy to keep my Rover 45, hence why I paid £300 to get the head gasket done before Christmas, but I cannot pay another £300 to have it done again if it is just going to keep going (but is that even the problem here - surely if head gasket has gone I wouldn't still be able to drive the car).

surely if head gasket has gone I wouldn't still be able to drive the car).

It depends where the breach is occuring. The problem with overheating often isn't the absolute temperature but a temperature differential which causes warping or cracking.

For a while I ran an old Toyota that had eaten three head gaskets over about 30,000 miles (not under my ownership!). After the third gasket change, oil kept appearing in the coolant. Maybe the cylinder head had cracked after too many severe thermal cycles. But it ran happily enough until was scrapped for an unrelated problem. Btw does the temperature gauge fluctuate when you open the throttle?

Without wanting to sound sanctimonious if you're going to run a car on a tight budget you need to be on the ball. Running out of coolant/oil and driving until warning lights come on/engine stops is asking for catastrophic failure and is totally avoidable. It takes 30 seconds to check the oil and coolant and if the car has problems, it's a good idea to do so every time the car is parked on a flat surface like a supermarket carpark.

I do routinely check oil, but maybe I am not as on the ball as some people regarding the rest of it.

The temperature gauge had previously fluctuated but it does not do so anymore, it stays in the middle. Previously I had problems with not being able to get hot air blowing through the vents inside the car and that is when the temperature was fluctuating, but I topped up the coolant and this resolved this. With the most recent problems there has been no change in the temperature gauge.

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - Collos25

You have to decide whether the repair is going to cost more than the car is worth

I'm tired of hearing this mantra, as if it is the only criterion to decide whether to do a repair. A car is worth (a) what an interested buyer will pay, or (b) what its owner is willing to part with it for. For an older car in decent nick (a) may be much less than (b). The real criterion is how much it will cost to replace it with another - which will have problems of its own.

Whats he going to do spend more money on a repair than the the cars worth and with the chance it will go again.If it is the HG they obviously did not repair the reason for it going in the first place probably have used the old "O rings on the inlet manifold.The cars when going is worth very little with a shot engine its worth scrap value like I said he has to decide not you or me idiot.

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - Dabooka

I note you pid £300 for the HG before Christmas; is that not a bit cheap for these engines as you're supposed to get the head skimmed at the same time? Or am I getting my engines mixed up?!

I only ask as my uncle is a nut for Rovers and Jags and he bemoans 'cheap' HG replacements on Rover as they basically cause irrepairable damage.

THey didn't skim the head, I know that.
Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - Andrew-T

The cars when going is worth very little with a shot engine its worth scrap value like I said he has to decide not you or me idiot.

I'm trying to extract some sense from this string of gibberish .....

A head skim is often nothing more than a comfort blanket. If the deck is straight you don't require one. if the deck isn't straight, you may well have a warped head that may be cracked and a skim won't sort that. A few thou can be be absorbed by the gasket in any case.

Well it's in the garage now, he feels they may be nothing wrong, but we'll see. He said the oil in coolant could be residue from when head gasket went before Christmas, and engine overheated due to the cap coming off the coolant and therefore no pressure.

Yup, it's back from the garage, nothing wrong, no charge, carry on.

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - dieselnut

That's good news.

Keep a carefull eye on the coolant / oil levels & it might just go on to serve you well for a good few years.

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - sb10

That's good news.

Keep a carefull eye on the coolant / oil levels & it might just go on to serve you well for a good few years.

expansion cap may want replacing if they have not already done so,and even with cracked head they can keep going for a couple of years as mentioned.

My only worry would be oil getting into rad as that can cause overheating which usually means a new rad,its rare a flush cleans them out properly

Two weeks later, and the top hose splits. Obviously this is part of the same system, but has the breakdown two weeks ago caused it or is this just general wear and tear? Also my garage says that these parts are hard to find - am i best off trying to get my own. What price am I looking at.

In the meantime, when I broke down due to the top hose split the breakdown guy cut the split part of the hose off and connected the shorter hose back up. he said this would only be a temporary fix though.

Edited by libdom on 10/08/2013 at 21:50

Rover 45 - 2003 Rover 45 - Engine overheated, oil in coolant - sb10

Two weeks later, and the top hose splits. Obviously this is part of the same system, but has the breakdown two weeks ago caused it or is this just general wear and tear? Also my garage says that these parts are hard to find - am i best off trying to get my own. What price am I looking at.

In the meantime, when I broke down due to the top hose split the breakdown guy cut the split part of the hose off and connected the shorter hose back up. he said this would only be a temporary fix though.

Not certain of price but doubt they are hard to get,hoses do perish and split so its probably age,cheapest place would be a motor factors near you,they should be able to get one next day at latest if they dont stock them.

Modern hoses are pretty good-they don't perish like they used to. But they're not cheap. You can buy rubber hosing in fixed lengths and just cut off what length you require.