Citroen C4 - Cambelt Replacement - NickR54
My Feb 2008 Citroen C4 1.6 HDI 110 VTR+ has now done 92,000 miles.

Despite the manufacturer's recommendation that the cam belt should be changed at 150k miles, my mechanic is urging me to have it done before the car reaches 100k, as per the recommendation for the 1.6 petrol model.

What do you think?

He says that the ancillary pulleys etc are all plastic and could fail before 100k miles.
Citroen C4 - Cambelt Replacement - 659FBE

Your mechanic has given you good advice. The bearings in the idler pulleys will fail before the belt, due to loss and degradation of lubricant.This applies to nearly all engines with a conventional toothed belt drive.

Are you going to drive this car for more than another 92k miles? If not, there is no saving to be made by delaying the change - and a huge potential gain from renewal as long as the job is done properly.

Citroen C4 - Cambelt Replacement - gordonbennet

I agree, unless Citroen have written 150k into their warranty for cambelt cover.

Coming up to 6 years and 92k of the pounding a cambelt takes would be long enough for me.

Citroen C4 - Cambelt Replacement - Collos25

150k on all1.6HDis unless you use it on a race track they will easily do this mileage things move on better materials but there are plenty of people that are still in the dark ages as for the mechanic of course he wants you to change it he has to make a living.

Citroen C4 - Cambelt Replacement - Braunschweig

I'd get it changed - prevention is much cheaper than the cure, and leaving it isn't a risk I'd take.