Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 2008 - Warranty Direct claim - SteveGSXR600K1

Hi,

Recently, my car wasn't running quite as it should, so I ran my diag tool on it and it came back with the error P1402. This is reporting that the EGR orifice is restricted. This has been confirmed by my local Ford dealership.

One of Warranty Direct's exclusions is carbon build up. Even though I've paid the extra on the policy for the optional cover, which covers emissions, and specifically lists the EGR valve, I'm not covered.

Have I got a leg to stand on to take this further?

The cars a 2008 and only done 32850 miles. Would an EGR valve carbon up in that short mileage?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by SteveGSXR600K1 on 15/07/2013 at 17:52

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 2008 - Warranty Direct claim - madf

That low mileage is responsible for the carbon build up. Lots of low mileage journeys...

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 2008 - Warranty Direct claim - daveyjp
Correct, too few miles means carbon build up. My X type needed a new EGR at less than 20,000 as the previous owner didn't do the mileage to justify a diesel.

Its a cheap part and easy to DIY, but don't forget to clean all pipes and manifold.

Edited by daveyjp on 15/07/2013 at 18:44

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 2008 - Warranty Direct claim - SteveGSXR600K1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm doing approx 1000 miles a month, so it must have been the previous owner(s), the last being an elderly couple.

I've been quoted £450 by a Ford dealer. Sounds a lot, but considering the EGR itself is expensive and it must be quite labour intensive to get to it. It's annoying that the EGR valve is covered, but not for carbon build up when its job is to recurculate exhaust gases. It's like saying your water pump isn't covered due to water ingres..... As this is an electronic EGR valve, I'll get them to confirm that it's definately faulty due to carbon build up and not an electronic fault reporting incorrectly.

Oddly, I reset the DTC error code, and after the 25 mile journey home, the error didn't reappear. No doubt it will do at some point.

Ford C-Max 1.6 TDCi 2008 - Warranty Direct claim - gordonbennet

Before shelling out £££ to the main dealer, i'd be inclined to nip round to a good Diesel workshops (ask good OD taxi drivers unless you know of one) , they might well remove this troublesome item and clean it out properly instead of throwing new parts at it.

I know lots of owners on the BMW forum clean theirs out, it might be worth a search on PSA forums for cars with the same engine for full instructions if you fancied DIYing.