T Reg Ford Focus 1.6 LX - Ford Focus Speedo stops working in the heat - maxxoveride

Hi,

I noticed a few months ago that my speedo stopped working. The car drove fine, no loss of power or engine cutting out, it was literally just the speedo and the mileometere.

Havign read through the forums, I settled on the issue being the VSS (Variable Speed Sensor), and despite all the horror stories, I managed to replace it myself for £25 in about 15 minutes.

This solved the problem and I was very pleased with myself and drove happilly for a few months.

The same thing has happened again, almost. The speedo kept dropping out at times, but only when the weather was hot. The temp reading on the dash was normal, coolant levels normal, oil level normal, and again, no loss of power or engine management light, just the speedo and mileometer. So, I replaced the VSS again, this time the part only cost me £12.00 and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Drove the car, worked perfectly, really chuffed with myself again, and safe in the knowledge if this sensor fails I can get it replaced under warranty.

However, the day got hot, car is in direct sunlight, and low and behold the speedo is dancing about all over the place before dying again.

The speedo and the Mielometer are the only things affected. I have no engine management light coming on, there is no loss of power, the engine doesn't cut out, it's a complete mystery.

I am going to thry replaceing the dashboard, i can get a second had one for £15, but before I do I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and what they did to fix it.

T Reg Ford Focus 1.6 LX - Ford Focus Speedo stops working in the heat - BenG

Dash failures were common on earlier Focuses. When it happened on my 2003 car the clocks randomly went to zero and back and various warning lights illuminated, so it didn't just affect the speedo.

I guess it's possible there could be one dodgy soldered joint on the back of the instrument panel which affects only the speedo, though?

Is there any way you can test the sensor you have replaced to check if it is the sensors which are failing repeatedly or something else betwen the sensor and the dash panel, like the wiring or connectors? I'd have assumed it is one of the latter as it seems more likely than repeated failure of the sensor.

T Reg Ford Focus 1.6 LX - Ford Focus Speedo stops working in the heat - BenG

You need to post this in 'Technical Matters'...