No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Dwight Van Driver

Just changed my vehicle to a Nissan QQ (petrol - dpf frightened me off diesel)

Lo and behold on checking for the spare what do I find?. No wheel, no space saver just a can of goo and a mini compressor to deal with a flat.

While this MAY be suitable for the odd nail penetration I have doubts that this would fix a cut and present a road safety hazard- instead of a fix in 10 minutes a couple of hours waiting for a breakdown attendance.

Personally I hate this idea and have in actual fact purchased a space saver wheel and tyre. A full size wheel would not fit in the boot well without projecting above the floor line making an uneven surface.

Before I vent my anger on Macam Nissan am I alone in my feelings?

What are the feelings of you others and in particular their experience at the use of the goo?

dvd

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Bromptonaut

I cannot see goo sealing more than simple nail or similar damage. Increasingly common to see a car on three + axle stand at roadside. Presumably goo has failed and wheel carted off to KF or whererever for new tyre. Note also that a dose of goo is said to render a tyre irreperable even if hole is dead centre in the tread.

I'd be asking the dealer some questions but had you not seen comments on this here or in 'other place'?

Very glad to see that the Berlingo or Partner I'm contemplating both advertise a full size spare. I'd not want to be stuck on M1 with a written off tyre. My holidays are mainly in France or the Outer Hebrides. Neither, the first linguistically and the second logistically, are places to be stuck with three wheels on my wagon.

No spare that at least permits 24 hrs+ driving = no deal for me.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - gordonbennet

Its something one should check if considering a new car before signing on the dotted line.

Indeed one should also check that the spare tyre supplied in new or used car fits and that any different wheelbolts if needed are present, plus the all important locking wheelnut key is present and also fits.

I imagine DVD having to spend out on something you assumed was supplied has left a bit of a sour taste.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Avant

I agree with all of the above. The dealer should certainly have pointed this out to you, DVD.

The reason for this pernicious trend is said to be something to do with keeping the overall weight (and possibly emissions) of a car down. But - as with the electronic parking brake and the separate starter buttion - manufacturers have forgotten to ask the customers first what they actually want.

I'll never buy a car which doesn't have room for a spare wheel (e.g. Toyota Verso which is now off my short list, and I think also the new Auris estate), but I can live with a space-saver if it really saves space. Skoda, for example, offer it as a fairly inexpensive extra - OK - but I'm hoping that VAG are starting to see the light with the Golf having one as standard.

An unexpected bonus of running my VRS all year on all-season tyes with 16" steel wheels is that the space-saver whel and tyre are exactly the same size, so that if I have a puncture I'm not restricted to 50 mph.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Andrew-T

The reason for this pernicious trend is said to be something to do with keeping the overall weight (and possibly emissions) of a car down. But - as with the electronic parking brake and the separate starter buttion - manufacturers have forgotten to ask the customers first what they actually want.

I suspect other reasons may be (a) cost saving and (b) the fact that most car tyres are now so big that they would occupy a large part of any stowage space. Even the 'space savers' aren't small.

Twenty years ago a puncture while on a continental holiday was not too much hassle when the spare was slung under the boot floor, which was firm and flat as a result. Sadly some members of society found alloys in that position too tempting.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - FP

I would be unhappy to have only goo to get me going in the event of a puncture. I'm willing to accept a space-saver as a compromise if boot space is an issue, as the number of punctures I've had in my fifty or so years of motoring is very small. In fact, in my 2 litre Focus Titanium I've "downgraded" from the full-size spare wheel, which raises the whole floor of the boot by several inches, to a space-saver bought on e-Bay.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Hamsafar

Should cars also come with 20 litres of spare coolant and a pouch of SUGRU?
I think the days of spare wheels are belatedly over spare fanbelts and starting handles once became.

I've never had a sudden flat tyre while driving, it seems less likely than other tyres of brakedown. I think most sudden flat tyres are for driving on low pressure for extended speeds and distance, but we have in-car warnings for that now.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - skidpan

My new car came with a bottle of goo and compressor but since I read the brochure before I bought it there was no surprise. Spare wheel was space saver @ £155 extra including jack kit, hate space savers as much as goo. Bought the jack kit for £35 and will put a winter tyre in the spare wheel well in the boot (should not affect space since the well is deep enough) when I get a set of suitable wheels for my existing winter tyres.

All I did was research my purchase and sort it with the dealer.

Edited by skidpan on 14/07/2013 at 19:05

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - craig-pd130

Likewise, I've never had a sudden flat in 20+ years of motoring (touch wood, stroke lucky rabbit's foot, etc etc). I've found some ginormous nails in the tyre, but luckily these have self-sealed.

I do see people changing wheels on motorways etc, and often wonder whether the flat was due to lack of maintenance (low pressure, loose valve inner, etc), or from a genuine blow-out.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Bromptonaut

Should cars also come with 20 litres of spare coolant and a pouch of SUGRU?
I think the days of spare wheels are belatedly over spare fanbelts and starting handles once became.

I've never had a sudden flat tyre while driving, it seems less likely than other tyres of brakedown. I think most sudden flat tyres are for driving on low pressure for extended speeds and distance, but we have in-car warnings for that now.

I can see where you're coming from hamsa but I'd still prefer to have a spare tyre.I also carry bulbs, fuses, oil, water and, in the Xantia, LHM.

A puncture is probably the thing most likely to immobilise an otherwise well maintained car. Since my Pug104 with tubed tyres (82-86) which punctured like a bike I've probably had less than ten tyre leaks, most of which were driveable pending change/repair. Given that I'm capable of changing a wheel I'd prefer to retain the option.

Mrs B isn't skilled up that way and even on car park of a large town Tesco she waited 90 minutes for Green Flag to do a wheel change.

If you've a coolant leak serious enough to need 20 liters then nothing you can carry in the car will help. OTOH if it's just blowing off a bit a 5litre jerry of plain water will do the get you home bit. Spare hoses are available.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - gordonbennet

Mrs B isn't skilled up that way and even on car park of a large town Tesco she waited 90 minutes for Green Flag to do a wheel change.

How disappointing Bromp, thats part of the problem of modern times, young lads not taught by their parents elders and masters in the fine art of being a gentlemen, and look at the result, a fair maiden left stranded, that simply will not do.

A change of venue would find a better class of chap you know and i don't mean Waitrose either, Big T isn't favoured by the old school.;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/07/2013 at 00:03

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - jc2

Talking to one of our local dealers last week,they stated that almost every new car they've sold recently has had a spare wheel(or spacesaver)supplied.It's also noticeable that "old-fashioned" spacesavers have virtually disappeared to be replaced a conventional wheel/tyre-just of narrower section.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - Andrew-T

How disappointing Bromp, thats part of the problem of modern times, young lads not taught by their parents elders and masters in the fine art of being a gentlemen, and look at the result, a fair maiden left stranded, that simply will not do.

Even in Tesco it is quite likely that you will be unable to loosen the wheel nuts/bolts with the device provided. Whenever my wheels have been moved I retighten them myself to have a better chance at the roadside if necessary.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - TeeCee

Just last week I was overtaken on the Autobahn by a new Corsa and smelled burning rubber as the thing passed.

It pulled into lane #2 in front of me and the right rear delaminated, leaving the sidewalls on the rim while the rest of the carcass set off for a wander on its own.

If he had goo or runflats, he was thoroughly stuffed.

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - sb10

When I bought my Civic from Honda Main Dealer a few months ago, though 3 years old,I asked if there was a spare and was told they dont have one, just a tin of goo,I disputed the fact is was called brilliant stuff because its no good for splits in the tyre

He went on to say its unusual to get a blowout/split tyre and said if I wanted a spare I would have to buy one which I did, £120 it cost, but I was annoyed at the attitude of the salesman

No fifth wheel for my wagon to go rolling along - The Gingerous One

We also discovered that the QQ no longer has a spare wheel.

Only realised when, 2 months after getting it I noticed a large slice in the o/s/f tyre. Went to put the spare on so my wife could still drive to work in the morning.....oh dear no spare.

So next day had to take wifey to work, then took her car straight round to Nissan dealer who fitted a new tyre and then had to go and pick wife up from work. Once back home I went into work. dither dither hassle hassle.

So bought a space-saver spare. At least with this I could have put the spare on for her, the she could have driven to work then I could have got a replacement tyre sorted and then put it back on her car in the car park of work.

For the Jaaaaaaaaag (XF) I bought a set of 5x17" Libras, put a winter tyre on one and it fits in the boot just so (I have the petrol one so no start-stop aux battery nor bad boy sub). Already had a wheel brace and Machine Mart do a 1ton scissor jack with the slot in it suitable for modern cars for about £12 inc VAT. I checked it on the driveway and it will lift the car fine.

And in case anyone asks, the other 4 wheels will have winter tyres put on them but I saw no reason to massacre the household budget by doing this before they were required.

So never used the goo.

cheers

Stu