97 Astra - overheating - pinkyman5155

Can anyone help please? Wife has a 97 Astra, for the past couple of years its been cutting out when in heavy traffic when the temp gets 100 and wont restart for about 5 minutes then providing there are no more traffic delays it runs fine again. Just wondering its an ecu issue as the management light comes up before the engine cuts-out, have flushed the rad and car dos'nt run hot normally, have taken it to the local garage but their laptop dos'nt show any problems, any Ideas guys ?

Thanks

97 Astra - overheating - Cyd

have taken it to the local garage but their laptop dos'nt show any problems, any Ideas guys ?

Thanks

Not aimed at you particularly, but why does everyone assume all problems with a car MUST generate a fault code in the ecu these days?

Sounds like fuel vapour lock to me.

Does the fan run okay when the temp gets up? Any blockages for air flow to get to the fuel rail?

Is the fan on this model ecu controlled or does it have a simple thermal switch in the rad or a coolant hose? If the latter you could try over-riding it with a dash switch and run the fan manually when in traffic, see if that helps.

97 Astra - overheating - galileo

A 97 model may well have a thermal switch somewhere as Cyd suggests. I rigged a supply to the fan through a relay, fuse and dashboard switch when a son's 2001 Hyundai Accent started overheating in traffic because the fan wasn't cutting in, simple and inexpensive fix.

97 Astra - overheating - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think this is a cutting out when hot issue rather than an overheating problem as the Op has originally posted.An operating temp of 100 is perfectly ok.There has been no mention of engine type,it could even have an electronic distributor,known for cutting out faults.The cooling fan on these is not ecu controlled.It has an old style temp switch in the radiator.hth

97 Astra - overheating - 1litregolfeater

A 97 Astra overheating, replace the thermostat which must be a fiver or a tenner.