toyota verso 2.2 auto - gearbox oil change - ramsap101

I am changing the oil on my Verso at 6500 miles prior a run down to Spain. The first service will be done in October. Is it prudent to change the Auto box fluid as well. I used to change my last Verso (Petrol) engine oil every 5-6ooo miles and the auto box oil every 30000 miles, and both were like new after 10 years. I am an old fashioned engineer and like to take care of my machinery.

toyota verso 2.2 auto - gearbox oil change - Cyd

I am an old fashioned engineer and like to take care of my machinery.

Careful, you'll be accused of being a dinosaur stuck in the 50s admitting that on here.

I'm with you on more frequent oil changes, but no I wouldn't change the atf at such a low mileage. Check the fluid level though and take a litre with you for good measure.

toyota verso 2.2 auto - gearbox oil change - gordonbennet

Careful, you'll be accused of being a dinosaur stuck in the 50s admitting that on here.

Not by you or i or a whole host of others he won't, and his car will still be running like a sewing machine years after the usual neglected stuff has starred on car forums with owners asking why their gearbox is failing and indignant that some of us Luddites might suggest servicing the poor thing.

30k does seem a bit low i would have thought unless the gearbox gets hard work like heavy city use or towing, recommended interval should be in the handbook.

Some German cars are now suggested @ 40k miles...whereas a few years ago those same boxes were filled for life apparently...ho ho bang rattle kerching.

Toyota/Lexus have never been daft enough to suggest their auto boxes should be neglected, sorry sealed for life, thats probably part of the reason that replacement Lexus boxes are never needed.

he's talking about changing the atf at just 6500, Gord.

I'd change the atf at 30k unless spec'd otherwise by the maker. It's the interval I use for my manual.

toyota verso 2.2 auto - gearbox oil change - gordonbennet

he's talking about changing the atf at just 6500, Gord.

Ah i misunderstood thanks for reading the OP properly..;), no even i wouldn't consider that unless i subjected the car to severe abuse.

The way i read it is that the car had currently covered 6500 on its present engine oil, i didn't realise it was 6500 miles from new, and you are quite correct as its the first service.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/07/2013 at 08:38

You're welcome GB. I'm with you all the way on frequent oil changes. There's a lot of people coming on here with tales of woe about oil lights and blockages, gearboxes making weird noises etc etc. Even HJ thinks my own car (Saab 9-3 petrol) is prone to sludging the drain area where the oil from the cams splshes down onto the cam chain. So for the sake of the whole engine and especially the chain I'm changing the oil every 6 months (about 4k miles, very few short journeys) and doing a double flush at each change.

I've also just changed the gearbox oil for the first time (54k) to Red Line MTF. The stuff that came out was very dark - don't know if that's how it was meant to be but it didn't seem right (and it was supposedly changed at 40k too). Even smelled a bit like it might have been overheated.

toyota verso 2.2 auto - gearbox oil change - ramsap101

Thanks to you all, every one is right in their own way. If the car wasn,t' going to have a good run down to Spain I would have probably left it a bit longer, but this box does have the odd problem it seems. Personally I think a change would be good, like the engine, it has now run in, so it would get rid of any potential build debris and keep any possible sludge out of the bearings. As I said, I am a bit old fashioned , but 40 years of aircraft maintenance has made me cautious. Oil is like blood, keep it fresh.