Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - koliva

Hi all,

I have a 2003 model Peugoet 307 SW 1.6 petrol. It has been a long time that the brake fluid hasn't been changed. I have two peugeots and I have done all the necessary maintenance jobs by myself so far. So I am guessing that I can also replace the brake fluid. I have already bought a bottle of genuine brake fluid for the car but I need some guidlines about how to properly replace it. Could anyone shed some light?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - gordonbennet

You could buy yourself a Gunsons Ezibleed (speeling) kit and do it by yourself, its the best method but be aware that the Gunsons kits don't fit all fluid reservoir caps, and if you don't have access to a spare tyre @ around 15psi to pressurise the kit with then it cannot be done.

Alternatively you get an assistant to pump the brake pedal for you whilst you bleed the brakes one at a time.

You will need a suitable ring spanner (usually 8mm but varies) to release the bleed valves and a length of 8mm approx transparent plastic pipe.

2 man methods vary and we all have our little quirks but this is my method.

First of all it makes sense to have all 4 wheels off the ground and all wheels off if possible, then unless you know all is good with the brakes its the ideal opportunity to strip clean lubricate all brakes and to push each piston all the way home (with bleed valve open preferably) and pump them back before you start the bleeding process, then you know all is well...also make sure all bleed nipples crack off ok and nip them back up, they do get seized in place so its a good idea to give 'em a squirt of plus gas a couple of days before you do the job if its been a long time.

OK assuming all is well.

Using a length of clean pipe syphon as much old fluid as possible out of the master cylinder, then top up with fresh fluid and top it up again after each wheel is bled.

Generally you start at the furthest wheel from the master cyl.

Fit a length of clear hose to the bleed valve and feed the open end into an old jar or basin or whatever, then crack open the bleed valve, get your assistant to pump the brakes full strokes at a reasonable pace, after each down stroke you can if you wish close the bleed valve for the duration of the up stroke, but in practice i hold a marigolded finger gently over the end of the pipe and use my finger as the valve, this allows for faster bleeding and you will see any air bubbles flowing though and then most likely notice the cleaner fluid push the old out.

After say 6 to 8 strokes the job should be done at each wheel, close the bleed valve whilst the pedal is down.

Top up fluid, repeat for the rest of the valves and then really put some pressure on the pedal to check for any leaks.

After the job is done check the neighbours windows for twitching curtains, your repeated calls of up/down/hold it etc to your assistant might have picqued some interest..:-)

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - koliva

Such a perfect explanation! Thank you very much.

Colsing remark is awesome :) I laughed a lot. Thanks.

I won't invest on buying the tool since I will do this job once in two years or so. So I prefer the 2 man method.

Questions:

1. Should I let the car running on idle whilst my assistant pumps the brakes? I guess not but I wanted to ask.

2. You say that "push each piston all the way to home". I have no retraction tool. Can I push the pistons back using for example a screwdriver?

3. What is squirt plus gas? I use normally WD40 for such tasks.

Many tahnks.

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - gordonbennet

1. Should I let the car running on idle whilst my assistant pumps the brakes? I guess not but I wanted to ask.

2. You say that "push each piston all the way to home". I have no retraction tool. Can I push the pistons back using for example a screwdriver?

3. What is squirt plus gas? I use normally WD40 for such tasks.

Many tahnks.

1. No, no need after a couple of pumps the vacuum servo will have emptied, brakes will need more effort to apply but no difference for the job in question and if anything the assistants 'feel' will be better without the servo.

2. Some pistons (usually fronts) have simple slidng pistons, i usually use a well placed strong screwdriver or tyre lever to push them back via leverage, but careful not to damage the friction material. If you have rear discs with the handbrake operating on them as i suspect your car does, then i wouldn't wind them back fully unless i was fitting new pads or discs or i suspected them of seizing...which will possibly show by uneven wear....still worth a general clean of rust and crud and lubricating any sliders with the correct grease though.

3. Plus Gas is a superb penentrating oil, not easy enough to find but can be bought on ebay or at a good motor factors (not usually found at accessory shops), WD40 is not penetrating oil.

Hopefully someone else can recommend some other penetrating oil if Plus Gas proves difficult to find.

Good luck with the job.

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - Peter D

You will need at least a litre/litre and a half of fluid. Pre treating the bleed nipples is always good and buy a can of Loctite Freeze Release and use as per instructions to avoid shearing a nipple off. Regards Peter

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - sandy56

I would strongly suggest that you have a helper who has done this before.

The process is well covered in the various car repair guides and if you dont have one maybe you shouldnt be doing this.

Repairng brakes is not diffcult but if you run into problems your car cannot be used. BE CAREFUL

Peugeot 307 SW - How to replace brake fluid - Peter D

If you use the pedal to pump fluid through the system do not use the entire stroke use 60 to 70% or you are exposing the seals to areas of the Master cylinder they have not been and possible contamination. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 07/07/2013 at 21:42